Sean Payton admits to beating the Saints in 2007 (1 Viewer)

The Brooks backward pass game was also the game where after Antonio Gates caught two TD's and the Chargers were threatening, Hokie said something to the effect of "watch the tight end here", and seconds later, Brees hits Gates for six. Hokie then says angrily "That safety has to get his head out of his arse on that play". Hokie had to apologize to open the broadcast the next week.

I still remember listening to this game on the radio in Colorado Springs. This was around the time that I discovered streaming sites but I wasn't always able to do it (that may not have come until 2008).

I remember being so frustrated that LUKE MCCOWN beat the Saints. I just looked it up too and confirmed that it was the December game. The ESPN tagline for this still reads "a botched trick play may have cost the saints their season."

Obviously I'm over it now but that play burned me from the whole cute double reverse thing for a long time.
Yep, I remember it well. My boss at the time was a bucks fan and I was talking smack to him when we were up. CSP and his dang cute plays.

I think he will be in the conversation as well but you should never use Jimmy Johnson or Bill Cowher as HoF examples. The only reason they made it into the HoF is becasue they extended the class size for the centenial class and made a point to add coaches in. SP will will have to wait another 100 years if he wants to get in on their merits.

What he has to do is find a HoF class where he is one of the best 5 candidates (as he has to compete against QBs, LBers, DEs, etc. for his spot). It will take awhile as the NFL is liable to get a big dump of HoF candidates once Brees, Brady, AP, Big Ben, Rodgers, Belichick, Gronk, Patrick Peterson, Frank Gore, JJ Watt, Larry Fitzgerald, Gates, Witten, Von Miller, Vinateri, etc. retire.

Just to demonstarte how hard it is, Tom Flores might finally make it in this year as a Sr Candidate.

Other Head Coaches that will have it tough getting in the HoF for similar reasons...
  • Tomlin
  • Reid
  • Coughlin
  • Holmgren
  • Blanton Collier
  • Jim Lee Howell
  • Seifert
  • Coryell
  • Mike Shanahan
  • Chuck Knox
  • Dan Reeves
  • Marty-Ball
  • Ted Nesser* played an important role in the earliest history of pro football.
  • Buddy Parker
  • Lou Saban

I might be wrong, but I don't believe coaches go up against players. The same with contributors .

I might be wrong, but I don't believe coaches go up against players. The same with contributors .
Actually they did change that process just this year (2021) on a temporary basis, for the next 4-years coaches go on a separate ballot. This is the process that makes Flores a candidate for 2021. SP wont be eligible in that period but they could review the process and make it a permanent change. If that happens SPs chances go way up.

Contributors have been on a separate "ballot/process" for several years now, but the coach change is new.

Actually they did change that process just this year (2021) on a temporary basis, for the next 4-years coaches go on a separate ballot. This is the process that makes Flores a candidate for 2021. SP wont be eligible in that period but they could review the process and make it a permanent change. If that happens SPs chances go way up.

Contributors have been on a separate "ballot/process" for several years now, but the coach change is new.

Thanks.

If I had a vote, I would not vote for Flores. He did well with the Raiders, but went 14-34 in three seasons as HC in Seattle/
Compare him with Lombardi who took over a Washington team who hadn't had a winning season in 12 years and made
the winners in his first season.

Thanks.

If I had a vote, I would not vote for Flores. He did well with the Raiders, but went 14-34 in three seasons as HC in Seattle/
Compare him with Lombardi who took over a Washington team who hadn't had a winning season in 12 years and made
the winners in his first season.
I can appreciate that.

Nonetheless, there arent many coaches that compare to Lombardi. Also, Dave Krieg to Rick Mirer is a significant drop off.

I remember that play. What I also remember was that the very next week, the very first play we ran was a double reverse. It worked that time but it seemed like Payton was saying that he wasn't wrong to call that play the first time. Now he's admitting it was a bad call and laughing about it.

At least Payton hasn't forgotten that game or that play call, and he owned it. If a person learns from your mistakes he will get better, and he did.

It only took him 13 years. Hell, I knew it 13 seconds after I saw it ... maybe sooner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom