Sean Payton and that timeout at 2:15 (1 Viewer)

Algsaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
It's just utterly ridiculous.

You're going to save 15 seconds vs 40?
Made absolutely no sense . Having the timeout was more valuable than saving 15 seconds . Plus it was called after 1st down . The Giants still have 2 more downs to get a first down. Calling that timeout put absolutely no pressure on the Giants but shifted all the pressure to your defense to stop them.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I just don't get this guy's strategy with timeouts anymore. He has always used them at odd times.

saintology

Freshman
Reaction score
IMO not that bad......last week TO usage was terrible. This week....he had a defense that was playing well, and was playing for the stop. I think under the circumstances he was just doing what nearly any coach would do. We have just succumb to expect the worst out of our defense in critical moments. They showed good signs of improvement today though despite being way undermanned.

darkhornet

LSU Grad '02
Reaction score
Sean has a habit of calling timeouts way too prematurely. However, I can't remember a case where it cost us as classically as this one. I'll start with what I believe he was going for: He wanted to get the ball back in Brees's hands with as much time as possible.

The problem is that he was calling timeouts in situations that it was very unclear that the defense would make a stop. The first timeout was before the two minute warning after a first down 2-yard loss. Sure, 2nd and 12 is a pretty good spot to be in, but there was very little to gain by blowing a timeout to save 15 seconds. The worst part of this is that he's taking the pressure off the Giants offense. Now, instead of having to work the balance of running out clock and making sure they have time to get into scoring position, they just had to run their offense.

The second timeout wasn't any better. It came on a two-yard run on 1st and 10. So, 2nd down and we're trying to stop the clock. I just don't get it. I don't have a problem calling timeouts on 3rd down and taking a shot at getting the stop and getting off the field, but too much can happen after 2nd down to know that calling a timeout was a good thing.

We see the result. Burned all three timeouts, and allowed the Giants to take a knee and try the field goal. This is a recurring time management problem of Payton's, and I don't recall a game where it's worked out in his favor.

Hopeless

All-Pro
Reaction score
You guys are wild. That was absolutely the right usage of the timeout. Youre trusting your d to not give up a new set of downs. If they do, the game becomes much much harder to win, even with the extra timeout.

Lots of reasons to be upset today. This not being one of them.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You guys are wild. That was absolutely the right usage of the timeout. Youre trusting your d to not give up a new set of downs. If they do, the game becomes much much harder to win, even with the extra timeout.

Made sense to me, but what do I know?

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
You dont call a timeout after first down with 2:15 remaining. Its just dumb. You trade that 15 seconds to make sure the team doesnt pick up thevfirst on 2nd down so you can still stop the clock even if they pick up the first. Should seem like common sense.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
barring a turnover that game was essentially over at that point.....we needed something huge there. TO is a moot point.

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Payton looks like a genius if Crawley simply knocks the ball away rather than try to catch the INT.

Time is precious. Those 15 secs may have cost us a shot at scoring. I don't have a problem with the timeout.

OP
Saint Kamara

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score

Just wow

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ndcc Saints Nick Wright torches Sean Payton in this vid (...calls him a jerk) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 62
Andrus Sean Payton Postgame Interview after Saints Win vs. Buccaneers | Week 1 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Drew Brees and Sean Payton's 'unbelievable journey' now entering its 15th season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Sean Payton hopes new injured reserve rules stick in future seasons Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton loves TB12 water, hates TB12 spam Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton 'confident' Saints will get a deal done with Alvin Kamara Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton: We felt like we got close on Jadeveon Clowney Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton explains the Saints' rejected Jadeveon Clowney proposal Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: Sean Payton, Jadeveon Clowney meeting had pinch of Louisiana flavor with Slidell native Chef Ash Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Well we will find out today what sean payto is as a hrad coacu Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47
superchuck500 Nice new piece from Luke Johnson (Advocate) on Sean/Drew relationship Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Payton encouraged by Ruiz progress, Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Payton hasn't ruled out MT13 against the Raiders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 46
Payton refuses comment on Thomas injury, cites strength of special teams Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saintsphere Payton on Davenport Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 30
Analysis What would you whisper in Payton's ear after week 1 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 70
Payton: “That was as bad of a game as I’ve had as a playcaller.” Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 102
Payton seamed to be caught off guard by no fans for game 3 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Payton talks in-game adjustments versus new-look Bucs, injured reserve rules, young talents Harris and Roach Saints RSS News Feeds 0
I hope Coach Payton has learned to ride the hot hand Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
jasonsw Saints Payton confident deal between Saints and Kamara will get done Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Payton: Saints were close but stopped by league in pursuit of Clowney Saints RSS News Feeds 0