Sean Payton and that timeout at 2:15 (1 Viewer)

You guys are wild. That was absolutely the right usage of the timeout. Youre trusting your d to not give up a new set of downs. If they do, the game becomes much much harder to win, even with the extra timeout.

Lots of reasons to be upset today. This not being one of them.

Just wow

His time is done. It's time to clean house top to bottom starting with Loomis all the way down to the janitor. Unfortunately can't do anything about Benson. I think his kids and grandkids may on to something. Beyond pathetic on multiple levels.

If you know you're going to be using your timeouts, take them before the 2 minute mark. Probably debatable on using the last one, but you can't get back seconds and the TO is going to be used.

If you know you're going to be using your timeouts, take them before the 2 minute mark. Probably debatable on using the last one, but you can't get back seconds and the TO is going to be used.

But you do get the concept of 15 seconds vs 40?

barring a turnover that game was essentially over at that point.....we needed something huge there. TO is a moot point.

This isn't true . With time outs in our back pocket there's still pressure on the Giants to make plays and decide to go for the fg or touchdown . When you take your timeouts off the table it takes a ton of pressure of the Giants because they know all is needed is a first down

I agree with the idea that he was playing for a defensive stop either way, as that was basically our only shot. I don't think that timeout had or would have had a material effect on the outcome of the game. Certainly not like last week's did.

It's just utterly ridiculous.

You're going to save 15 seconds vs 40?

You get an automatic timeout at the 2 min warning.

So at 2:15 its 1st & 10 (if you make the timeout)

At 2:00 it's 2nd and 8

If you don't make the timeout before the 2 minute warning:

At 2:00 it's 1st and 10

At 1:50 it's 2nd and 8

So you actually save about 8 to 15 seconds depending on the length of the play.

But you do get the concept of 15 seconds vs 40?

You get the TO at 2 min. The clock went to 2:09 was reset to 2:15, if you're taking it on the other side of the 2min mark I didn't see any lost time. We can disagree about the strategy about taking it before the 2 minute, although I'd still argue it is the right strategy but it was executed as expected,

You get an automatic timeout at the 2 min warning.

So at 2:15 its 1st & 10 (if you make the timeout)

At 2:00 it's 2nd and 8

If you don't make the timeout before the 2 minute warning:

At 2:00 it's 1st and 10

At 1:50 it's 2nd and 8

So you actually save about 8 to 15 seconds depending on the length of the play.

While looking at it in the short term, what you said is correct.

But 15 seconds vs 40 is inevitably what you are trading.

Case in point, had we not called the timeout, we use it at the end of the game saving 40 seconds off the clock.

While looking at it in the short term, what you said is correct.

But 15 seconds vs 40 is inevitably what you are trading.

Case in point, had we not called the timeout, we use it at the end of the game saving 40 seconds off the clock.

That is inaccurate. If you dont spend the timeout before 2 mins they go into the 2 minute warning on 1st down. you either use it during that series after the warning and dont have it at the end of the drive, or you save it and they run off the 40sec before they convert the 3rd down.

The thing is, you have to think about the worst case scenario. You have to save that time out in the case giants go to field goal range. It is simple, if you take the time outs early like Payton did, if they go to field goal range you lost the game and if they don't you have a chance of winning the game with a field goal. If you save the time outs if they get to field goal range you still have a chance and if they don't you can win the game by a field goal.

I am more disappointed with the final time out called at the goal line. Belichick would of just let the Giants offense run a play & hopefully let them score so Brees would have another shot to tie the game.

I am more disappointed with the final time out called at the goal line. Belichick would of just let the Giants offense run a play & hopefully let them score so Brees would have another shot to tie the game.

Didn't look like the Giants were going to give them that opportunity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom