Sean Payton and that timeout at 2:15 (1 Viewer)

I am more disappointed with the final time out called at the goal line. Belichick would of just let the Giants offense run a play & hopefully let them score so Brees would have another shot to tie the game.

Zero chance the Giants were going to score a TD. Once that ball got caught by Cruz, it was over.

The thing is, you have to think about the worst case scenario. You have to save that time out in the case giants go to field goal range. It is simple, if you take the time outs early like Payton did, if they go to field goal range you lost the game and if they don't you have a chance of winning the game with a field goal. If you save the time outs if they get to field goal range you still have a chance and if they don't you can win the game by a field goal.

Its not that cut and dry though. You have to weigh the time left vs the amount of time consuming downs the giants are able to execute vs how many time stopping scenarios are available to the saints. Your best scenario is when you have 4 guaranteed time stopping scenarios and 4 time consuming plays . Once they extend the drive and you have 4 stops (we actually got 5 stops thanks to the incomplete) vs 8 time consumable plays with less than 2 mins left, no saving of timeouts was going to help us.

If they have 3 unstoppable time plays inside of 2 mins they have free reign of the clock and have full control of running it out regardless of which plays they do it on.

If we save that timeout til the end, then we have 40 less seconds at the end of the game and they need one less down.

Actually the Giants ran two plays after that and before the two minute warning. Without the time out it would have been 0 plays. Had we gotten a stop, we would have had more time. The Cruz catch that should have been intercepted made that all moot

I thought it was a good call with the way defense had been playing. You essentially make them run 2 plays before the 2 minute warning. Hindsight is 20/20 and unfortunately we didn't get the stop we needed there. So if everything would of went to plan, it would of been 3rd down at the 2 minute warning. You stop them there and you have 2 minutes to go with 2 timeouts, u fortunately we didn't stop them lol

I don't think it would of really mattered what Payton did there after the huge Cruz play.

Sean has a habit of calling timeouts way too prematurely. However, I can't remember a case where it cost us as classically as this one. I'll start with what I believe he was going for: He wanted to get the ball back in Brees's hands with as much time as possible.

The problem is that he was calling timeouts in situations that it was very unclear that the defense would make a stop. The first timeout was before the two minute warning after a first down 2-yard loss. Sure, 2nd and 12 is a pretty good spot to be in, but there was very little to gain by blowing a timeout to save 15 seconds. The worst part of this is that he's taking the pressure off the Giants offense. Now, instead of having to work the balance of running out clock and making sure they have time to get into scoring position, they just had to run their offense.

The second timeout wasn't any better. It came on a two-yard run on 1st and 10. So, 2nd down and we're trying to stop the clock. I just don't get it. I don't have a problem calling timeouts on 3rd down and taking a shot at getting the stop and getting off the field, but too much can happen after 2nd down to know that calling a timeout was a good thing.

We see the result. Burned all three timeouts, and allowed the Giants to take a knee and try the field goal. This is a recurring time management problem of Payton's, and I don't recall a game where it's worked out in his favor.

Super Bowl, we called timeout I think once on their 3 and out and we got 3 points out of it to close out the first half.

It's just utterly ridiculous.

You're going to save 15 seconds vs 40?

This is a terrible thread.

You call the timeout after a negative play on first down which forces them to run another play before the 2 min warning which is essentially another timeout that stops the clock

This is common sense. You rely on the defense to get a stop and give your offense more than enough time to drive down the field for a score

The problem wasn't with the timeout, it was allowing the offense to get a first down

100% of coaches in the same situation would make the same decision

This is a terrible thread.

You call the timeout after a negative play on first down which forces them to run another play before the 2 min warning which is essentially another timeout that stops the clock

This is common sense. You rely on the defense to get a stop and give your offense more than enough time to drive down the field for a score

The problem wasn't with the timeout, it was allowing the offense to get a first down

100% of coaches in the same situation would make the same decision

You also have an offense that is completing 80% of its passes against us at a clip of 9 yards per attempt. You have to realize your pass defense is terrible when making that decision. Then you have to realize that 1 minute with Brees at the helm is a whole bunch of time. We weren't needing to get the ball back with 1:50, we were needing to just get the ball back. By saving the time out until after the 2 minute warning you can take your first time out if they don't get it on 2nd down and that's if they don't throw an incomplete pass and stop the clock without the timeout. If they get the first down then you still have 3 timeouts in your pocket to try and stop them again. You double your chances to get the ball back in exchange for 15 seconds of lost time.

You also have an offense that is completing 80% of its passes against us at a clip of 9 yards per attempt. You have to realize your pass defense is terrible when making that decision. Then you have to realize that 1 minute with Brees at the helm is a whole bunch of time. We weren't needing to get the ball back with 1:50, we were needing to just get the ball back. By saving the time out until after the 2 minute warning you can take your first time out if they don't get it on 2nd down and that's if they don't throw an incomplete pass and stop the clock without the timeout. If they get the first down then you still have 3 timeouts in your pocket to try and stop them again. You double your chances to get the ball back in exchange for 15 seconds of lost time.

It was a favorable defensive opportunity after stopping the Giants for a loss of 2 and forcing 2nd and long.

The idea was to not waste any time. A stop on 2nd then another timeout. Then a stop on 3rd and the 2 minute warning

It guarantees the most time available for the offense assuming your defense makes the stand. What you are suggesting is just wasting time

It didn't work out our way but what you are describing is just dumb clock management

This thread is ridiculous, in my opinion.

It's 2nd and 12 at the point of the TO. They pick up 11 on a throw to Cruz and he goes out of bounds, stops the clock again. The pick up the first on a slant to Shepard then the 2 minute warning happens.

If the 3rd down throw is broken up, which is what you're banking on, the time out is genius, as you get the ball with 2 time outs and 2 minutes. The time out was not the problem. The failure to get a defensive stop was.

This thread is ridiculous, in my opinion.

It's 2nd and 12 at the point of the TO. They pick up 11 on a throw to Cruz and he goes out of bounds, stops the clock again. The pick up the first on a slant to Shepard then the 2 minute warning happens.

If the 3rd down throw is broken up, which is what you're banking on, the time out is genius, as you get the ball with 2 time outs and 2 minutes. The time out was not the problem. The failure to get a defensive stop was.

Which is great and all but Brees doesn't need 2 minutes and 2 timeouts to get us in FG range. He needs about 1 minute with no timeouts. He's done it over and over again.

Doesn't matter how much time you could have had if you don't get the ball back.

Which is great and all but Brees doesn't need 2 minutes and 2 timeouts to get us in FG range. He needs about 1 minute with no timeouts. He's done it over and over again.

This thread is about complaining about the decision to call a timeout before the 2 min warning

What exactly are you arguing here?

There's absolutely no guarantee we ever see the ball again of that TO isn't taken there.

The simple fact is, you knock down 1 of 2 3rd down completions and the TO saved precious seconds. The TO was the right call, we just didn't get stops.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom