Sean Payton and that timeout at 2:15 (1 Viewer)

It's just utterly ridiculous.

You're going to save 15 seconds vs 40?

Made absolutely no sense . Having the timeout was more valuable than saving 15 seconds . Plus it was called after 1st down . The Giants still have 2 more downs to get a first down. Calling that timeout put absolutely no pressure on the Giants but shifted all the pressure to your defense to stop them.

Yeah I just don't get this guy's strategy with timeouts anymore. He has always used them at odd times.

IMO not that bad......last week TO usage was terrible. This week....he had a defense that was playing well, and was playing for the stop. I think under the circumstances he was just doing what nearly any coach would do. We have just succumb to expect the worst out of our defense in critical moments. They showed good signs of improvement today though despite being way undermanned.

Sean has a habit of calling timeouts way too prematurely. However, I can't remember a case where it cost us as classically as this one. I'll start with what I believe he was going for: He wanted to get the ball back in Brees's hands with as much time as possible.

The problem is that he was calling timeouts in situations that it was very unclear that the defense would make a stop. The first timeout was before the two minute warning after a first down 2-yard loss. Sure, 2nd and 12 is a pretty good spot to be in, but there was very little to gain by blowing a timeout to save 15 seconds. The worst part of this is that he's taking the pressure off the Giants offense. Now, instead of having to work the balance of running out clock and making sure they have time to get into scoring position, they just had to run their offense.

The second timeout wasn't any better. It came on a two-yard run on 1st and 10. So, 2nd down and we're trying to stop the clock. I just don't get it. I don't have a problem calling timeouts on 3rd down and taking a shot at getting the stop and getting off the field, but too much can happen after 2nd down to know that calling a timeout was a good thing.

We see the result. Burned all three timeouts, and allowed the Giants to take a knee and try the field goal. This is a recurring time management problem of Payton's, and I don't recall a game where it's worked out in his favor.

You guys are wild. That was absolutely the right usage of the timeout. Youre trusting your d to not give up a new set of downs. If they do, the game becomes much much harder to win, even with the extra timeout.

Lots of reasons to be upset today. This not being one of them.

You guys are wild. That was absolutely the right usage of the timeout. Youre trusting your d to not give up a new set of downs. If they do, the game becomes much much harder to win, even with the extra timeout.

Lots of reasons to be upset today. This not being one of them.
Made sense to me, but what do I know?

You dont call a timeout after first down with 2:15 remaining. Its just dumb. You trade that 15 seconds to make sure the team doesnt pick up thevfirst on 2nd down so you can still stop the clock even if they pick up the first. Should seem like common sense.

barring a turnover that game was essentially over at that point.....we needed something huge there. TO is a moot point.

Payton looks like a genius if Crawley simply knocks the ball away rather than try to catch the INT.

Time is precious. Those 15 secs may have cost us a shot at scoring. I don't have a problem with the timeout.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom