Sean Payton: Confident that the Saints can navigate through salary cap hurdles (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
The New Orleans Saints went all in once again to win another Super Bowl title. However, things did not go as planned. Their latest playoff failure came against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30-20 in the postseason’s NFC divisional round. The harsh reality about this year’s playoff exit compared to previous seasons is that 2020 could be the last year of watching Drew Brees in a Saints uniform.

Sean Payton: Confident that the Saints can navigate through salary cap hurdles

Those who think we are in cap hell and we won’t be able to retain/sign players, need to relax. We still have a really good core group of players, we have options to resign some, and we have options to move on from some. We will sign some more and we have some draft picks that we can possibly hit on. With Covid, the combine is virtual, so there is a chance that some really good players slide in the draft. Plus, players may want to look at signing one year, lower end contracts, possibly to hit the big payday, with the hopes that the pandemic ends next year. We have options and there are a surplus of possibilities as of now. Let’s see how things shake out when we get closer to the season, before we freak out. If Loomis and SP aren’t sweating it, neither will I.

The biggest challenge for the top is appraising values properly and determining where depth allows you to let players passing peak to move to less skilled teams. I think our three headed monster of L, I, &P are in the top groups in the league at doing that. We have been in good hands for years now.

The bigger challenge for any coach though is investing in the right QB. It is a career make or break and Brian Billick had a whole chapter devoted to it in his book. Great read. Once again though, I think we are in far greater hands there than 95% of teams. We are gonna be ok.

I have no doubt they have various plans based on what the cap actually ends up being. The worst case is at $176M and the high end is likely $200M. They actual figure won't be known until all of this years numbers from every team and the league office are reported to the accounting firm hired by both the NFL and NFLPA. Once that firm does the calculations based on the CBA requirements the league and union will know the starting point and will work out a deal to borrow from future cap years (likely 2022 and 2023) to increase the 2021 cap to the same as last year or slightly more. We won't know what it will be until early March.

If anyone can come up with a plan and figure things out it's Loomis and Payton.

Yes the Saints are a very talented team with a ton of VERY GOOD players and coaches but it usually comes down to one or two people to hold things together and we have two of the best at doing exactly that!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom