Sean Payton explains stepping away from Saints: Biggest takeaways from coach's farewell to New Orleans (1 Viewer)

• Admin
1643150985858.png
Chuck Cook / USA TODAY Sports

Payton added that he'd like to go into TV and could return to coaching down the road

By Cody Benjamin | CBS Sports

Sean Payton officially stepped away from his position as Saints head coach on Tuesday, marking at least the temporary end of a 16-year run in New Orleans. Is the former Super Bowl champion actually retiring? Does he have plans to coach again? And how soon? Payton spent more than an hour addressing reporters and answering some of those questions in a farewell press conference.

Here are some of the biggest takeaways:

Is he retiring? "I don't like the word 'retirement,'" Payton said. "I still have a vision for doing things in football, and I'll be honest with you, that might be coaching again at some point."

But will he coach somewhere in 2022? "I don't think it'll be this year," he said. "That's not where my heart is right now. It's not at all ... My plans are not to be coaching in 2022, and that's just how I feel. I think it's easier to be fired, as difficult as that is. But when you choose to leave ... it was a decision ultimately that sat with me, and I'm comfortable with it."

Then what's next? "I don't know what's next," he said, before teasing a move to a broadcasting role. "I've not spoken to anyone relative to doing TV ... (but) I think I'd like to do that. I think I'd be pretty good at it ... I'd like to try TV. I talked to Drew (Brees) a little bit about it last night. That'd be something that would interest me."

Full Story - CBS Sports

Andrus Whitewing

Andrus Whitewing

Admin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom