Sean Payton has earned my trust. (1 Viewer)

I will admit, after the reverse against Tampa, I was a bit concerned.

We were throwing the ball all over the place, and would just abandon the run game if we have five unsuccessful carries.

I needed Payton to prove to me that he could look himself in the mirror, and correct his own faults. Which he did during the final four games of the year.

History shows, teams who rely to heavily on the pass, always implode when they reach a stout opponent, with a tough defense. Ask Bill Belichick.

I was worried that Payton might have the Mike Martz syndrome. A great offenseive mind, altered by a aching itch to trhow the ball 70% of the time, which is a certain recipe for failure.

Great post! No need for me to add anything except my agreement:)

Agreed!

Except for Payton's gross mismanagement of Pierre Thomas and Reggie, and minor thing with Bullocks and KK, I have no problems with his personnel decisions. It could be that Payton's apparent running back dyslexia is not his fault, as he may have been under FO pressure to play the 60 million dollar man.

Actually, I was convinced last year that our FO was serious about going after players that could help us win. Who could have even guessed that JD would bomb so badly?

I'm very pleased that our FO is going after good players in FA, as the draft is such a gamble. Even "Can't miss" players in the draft are a gamble.

Agreed!

Except for Payton's gross mismanagement of Pierre Thomas and Reggie, and minor thing with Bullocks and KK, I have no problems with his personnel decisions. It could be that Payton's apparent running back dyslexia is not his fault, as he may have been under FO pressure to play the 60 million dollar man.

You hit the nail on the head.If anything, Payton relied on his assistant coaches to make the decisions on who played ahead of who. Now I think he realizes that it's HIS head on the chopping block and he has no qualms about picking new coaches who can evaluate talent better and not stick to a hard "starters come first" rule.

I am impresses with the original post and this entire thread. I could not agree with you more about our coach, about misconceptions of Loomis during the Haslett years, so on and so forth. Instead of feeling doom and gloom about things, everyone needs to realize that these guys have the right approach to building a team without overextending yourself and setting yourself up for negative equity in the future. The right way takes time and hard work. There is no short cut. I believe their gameplan, and I am on board. If we don't wind up with a starting corner throughout the draft or free agency, but manage to get two probowl linebackers, a safety, and a defensive tackle, I would be overjoyed. New England won a Superbowl starting Randall Gay off the streets-- becuase they were able to get pressure on the QB. I know we need a good corner, but if it isn't there, and its too high a reach and well be passing up on another need in the draft, I am fine with waiting another year. I am just happy to have progress. You can't buy a house and two vehicles right out of highschool with no money, just like we can't get every peice we need in the offseason. My wish is for patience.

Great OP.

He had me at hello. Well, not really, but very soon afterwards.

First draft was awesome and everyone loved him. His second draft didn't match his first draft and people questioned him to the point of comparing him to Haz. His FA picks last year weren't great either, but this FA period has already landed us a big name (who better be big on the field and healthy).

Look at the overall progress of SP and you'll see that he has been consistantly good with the occassional hiccup. Who doesn't have hiccups once in a while?

Great post!! Payton is the real deal.... His office is full of folders and game tapes and all kinds of stuff.. it looks like a real working persons office... Not that its dirty .. it just looks like he spends a great deal of time studying film and educating himself on players and formations ect... I too have complete trust in Payton !!

^
Haslett's biggest problem to this day was his lack of accountability, which rubbed off on his players, so he created an environment of finger pointers and cry babies. Payton is the exact opposite, period.

Well said! :worthy:

^
Haslett's biggest problem to this day was his lack of accountability, which rubbed off on his players, so he created an environment of finger pointers and cry babies. Payton is the exact opposite, period.

Haslett's biggest problem is that he thinks he's a heckuva coach and he's not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom