Sean Payton has earned my trust. (1 Viewer)

iwitnesskr

Black and Gold toThe Bone
Reaction score
The guy really is a football realist.

As creative minded, and as pass happy as he is, he recognizes problems, within himself, and his players, and addresses them.

We needed QB, to wrench us out of the post Brooks era and he got Drew. Yes he was injured, but the prospect of him coming back healthy, was better than not taking the shot of him at all.

He drafted well in 2006, from top to bottom, starting with Bush.

Leads the team to a NFC title game, and left all Saints fans with high hopes for 2007.

Heading into the 20007 off season, the same tunes were sung of us still needing help on defense.

He signs a middle LB (didn't pan out), a CB (though drastically disappointing), a FS (who barely played, but did do well), and drafted a young WR to replace Joe horn (though he never played).

2007 turns into a season filled with injury's (Meachem, Faine, Deuce, Bush, Colston, David, Grant, Gleason, Mare) you name it, it happened.

Despite a horrible start, and inconceivable odds, we fought our way back into the playoff picture; only to have "pass happy, trick play" Payton cost us dearly with a bone head reverse call.

Minutes after the play, he owns it, calling it, "the worst job of coaching he’s ever done in his life, and from that game forward, his commitment to the ground game was obvious, as Stecker put up two, and Thomas also had a 100 yard game on the ground, in the absence of Reggie, yes, but the play calling was far better and balanced down the stretch, than during the first 3/4 of the season. Payton's ability to correct his own mistakes, and recognize his own faults were downright refreshing.

This season, it appears that he has learned that you can’t get by with average players on defense, and what do you know,

He starts building his defense, the same way he built his offense,

Signing a young, pro-bowl caliber, cast away, who, if he recovers from this injury, will transform this defense, in the same way that Brees transformed the offense.

And the potential gain in talent, of having a healthy Vilma, trumps the risk of trading for an injured player, and not having him at all.

We've been in talks with Samuel, mentioned in talks for Rogers in Detroit, and interviewing Cromartie at the Combine.

It truly seems that Payton is a Coach who "gets" the game.

Our first signing, leads me to believe that we may in for something special in 2008.

almost brought tears to me eyes couldnt agree with you more.. I mean if he would have built the defense up then the treads would all be worried about our offense... not D

Not to mention reports on ESPN on him contacting the Ginats about Shockey.

I mean, I know that deal is a long way from being conceived, but just the knowledge of the interst is enough to make you Riverdance.

Payton is on a mission.

Man you said it best......here's my real question...we all think/thought Mickey sucked as a GM....but maybe it was Haslett who just didnt know talent or to stubburn to go after guys...because all of a sudden under Payton were going after REAl players, not the middle of the road guys, is that because of Loomis or is that because of Payton? for a minute it seemed like Benson was cheap and Loomis didnt know talent, now it appears that Benson is willing and Loomis more assertive.....can we thank Payton for that?

^
Haslett's biggest problem to this day was his lack of accountability, which rubbed off on his players, so he created an environment of finger pointers and cry babies. Payton is the exact opposite, period.

^
Haslett's biggest problem to this day was his lack of accountability, which rubbed off on his players, so he created an environment of finger pointers and cry babies. Payton is the exact opposite, period.

Couldn't agree more.:9:

Couldn't agree more.:9:

I remeber rerally wanting to break my Desktop everytime I would listen to his Monday Press conferences.

Haslett may be alot of things, but a head coach is not one of them.

He thought that fussing at the refs, was a sign of a true leader.

So far I like our approach to this off season but I will let the 2008 rubber match season determine if Payton is our guy or Haslett part deux.

So far I like our approach to this off season but I will let the 2008 rubber match season determine if Payton is our guy or Haslett part deux.

The best way to judge a coach, or any human for that reason), is Just off of action alone, I feel Payotn is our guy. I mean imagine, wev'e gone over 12 years without drafting a corner in the top 2 rounds. Last remeber was Rob Kelly, and he was a Ditka Pick at safety (Talk about a bust).

Yet haslett continued to ignore the nedd for talent at the poisition.

David was bust, but at least the thought and ability to address the problem is there with Payton.

It's early days yet in the long offseason, but it seems we've started in the right way...go after the best in the best way possible, ie. if the deal is good business, do it. Don't do something that hurts you long-term (as a big Samuel deal might)

The Vilma deal, assuming it comes through, is a perfect example of this. If he plays to his potential and is healthy, he's a stud on the relative cheap. If he never makes it, he's a dud 4th rounder who had waaaay more upside then anyone you're gonna get in the 4th.

Fantastic Post!! This is what I like to read in this forum.

Also, I can honestly count on him to try and address EVERY need PRIOR to the draft. He has said before that he believes the draft shouls be geared towards BPA. And I love it.

Nice read.

I remeber rerally wanting to break my Desktop everytime I would listen to his Monday Press conferences.

Haslett may be alot of things, but a head coach is not one of them.

He thought that fussing at the refs, was a sign of a true leader.

It was always "we almost won" or "football's hard"......"we would have won if we just hadn't fumbled the ball four times" "we would have won if we had just kept them out of the endzone six times" etc........:covri:

I agree. Sometimes it works out and you look like a genius, sometimes you do the same things and it doesnt work out. Its all too often a crap shoot with Free Agents and the Draft. I like that Payton learns from his mistakes and I like the outlook for this coming season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom