Sean Payton has interviewed Ed Orgeron for the D-Line job (1 Viewer)

I think he would be a good hire. I just wish he would go to LSU as d-Coordinator

I think he would be a good hire. I just wish he would go to LSU as d-Coordinator

You don't want him as a defensive coordinator yet. He's still learning that part. He was Ole Miss's D-coordinator for the first 2 seasons and he left alot to be desired. He is, however a great D-line coach.

Another possibility that I would like to see is Clarence Brooks, former defensive line coach with the ravens. I am sure our defensive line will be excited with a guy with so much credibility. Brooks have been very succesful coaching lines at Miami and now Cleveland. I think he would bring a lot of personality to our defensive line.

Information on Clarence Brooks

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=1336

Another tidbit, from the article posted by David:

"The Saints may also be in the market for hiring a couple more assistant coaches as the team may make some changes in the near future. Payton wasn't ready to comment on any specific changes that could be in store."

I know that there is no projected change in the secondary but I would love for us to pursue former saints coach Vic Fangio (also from the ravens) to help the linebackers and secondary. I have always love his attacking style and he is currently out of a job. An aggressive mind would be a perfect compliment for Gary Gibbs, specially a good teacher for the secondary.

Last edited:
The one thing about Orgeron is that he brings a lot of energy. He gets players fired up and ready to play. I don't know how well that would work with NFL players though. Maybe he is only a college type coach.

Anyone got any info on the players he coached at USC in the NFL?

seems the USC gig was where he cut his teeth and made his name...Ole Miss job doesn't seem to have gone too well, though it's a different kettle of fish coaching D-line and being a D-Coordinator or Head Coach

seems the USC gig was where he cut his teeth and made his name...Ole Miss job doesn't seem to have gone too well, though it's a different kettle of fish coaching D-line and being a D-Coordinator or Head Coach

The defensive line became Ole Miss's area of strength under CEO.

He failed pretty miserably as a head coach, but that's a different story. He had a tremendous eye for talent as a college recruiter, particularly on the defensive line, and is a very good defensive line coach. He coached at Miami under Jimmy Johnson (including Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland, and Warren Sapp), coached at USC under Carroll (Mike Patterson, Udeze) and recruited/coached the top two prospects on UM's team, Greg Hardy and Peria Jerry.

So he's certainly qualified. I think the major question would how would Orgeron handle NFL players. He's a pretty...umm..."intense" character so, we'll see if that translates.

The defensive line became Ole Miss's area of strength under CEO.

I get that...but a head coach needs to focus on the whole team, not one unit, which is why I'm saying I'm all for him as a D-line coach as he's had success at that.

Thanks for that info LS...very helpful!

Would he be too intense for NFL players? Pete Carroll has been brilliant in college but was rather average in the NFL, if I have my information correct (before my NFL watching time...)

I hope this comes through...Payton seems like a pretty intense character, and so the offence is pretty intense. GG on the other hand seems pretty laid back...and the D seems to follow suit. Would be great to have some intensity on the D-Line, see Smith and Grant hustle a bit harder...and so on...

Would he be too intense for NFL players? Pete Carroll has been brilliant in college but was rather average in the NFL, if I have my information correct (before my NFL watching time...)

All i'm going to say on the matter is his shtick worked fine with 18 year old kids but he may have to alter his approach when he's dealing with a 32 year old professional athlete who makes more then he does.

That's something the coaches would have to determine in an interview though so :shrug:

Edit - I will say this though. He's widely reknowned as a tireless worker and is very much 100% focused on football. So for better or for worse, you're guranteed to get his best effort.

^ yes that's him...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OV0tb4DN2FY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OV0tb4DN2FY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The Saints could definitely use some "YAW-YAW-YAW-YAW, YAAAW, YAAAW...YAAW, YAAW....FOOTBALL!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom