Sean Payton has really grown! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I must admit Sean Payton's play calling was pissing me off in the first half. A vision of past performances began to creep into my mind as we adamantly relied on the pass in the first half regardless of its lack of effectiveness. (I think we only ran the ball 4 or 5 times vs passing for 20+ in the first half)

Miami knew Payton was going to rely exclusively on the pass. This is evident by how they blitzed consistently and played the pass on every play. To make things worse, Payton refused to mix in the run to throw them off balance so the passing lanes would open up. As a result, Brees was repeatedly pressured, sacked and threw 2 ints putting our D in an impossible situation, which ultimately lead to a 21 point deficit.

Then the second half came and we gave the Dolphins a good dose of Thomas, Bell, Bush and Evans. This opened up the passing lanes and Brees picked them apart. A younger Payton would not have made this transition and we would have lost. However, Sean has grown, G.W. has our D creating turnovers and the Saints did marched on to Victory.

All I can ask from Payton now is that he doesn't take so long in the future to make that transition. Against a better team we not have been so fortunate.

All I can ask from Payton now is that he doesn't take so long in the future to make that transition. Against a better team we not have been so fortunate.

He was setting them up dude. It wasn't bad playcalling, he was setting them up, that's all. Use the pass to open up the run instead of the other way around.

hopefully payton learns from his mistakes. I dont think this game would have been close had we mixed in the run early.

He was setting them up dude. It wasn't bad playcalling, he was setting them up, that's all. Use the pass to open up the run instead of the other way around.

do you believe he planned on having to score 36 in the 2nd half to win?

Sean Payton is risky but even he isn't that risky. Nobody goes down 21 points to set up his offense. Run first, Pass first it doesn't make a difference long as your calling the plays that are working at the time.

Miami was playing the pass so we needed to run first to set up the pass!

I'm pretty sure he meant that Payton was setting up the plays, not the dramatic come-from-behind win.

One thing that I've been saying to anyone who will listen is that Payton has steadily improved the team since he arrived, and part of that is learning from the mistakes he's made in the past. He really began to find the running game halfway through last season. I remember hearing people saying "yeah, well, he's doing that NOW but he'll abandon it next year!"

That abandonment hasn't happened yet.

I stand by what I've said. Payton has made some missteps along the way, but I firmly believe that he's marched steadily toward this season since he got here. If we don't make the post-season, it won't be because he's failed to make positive changes as a coach.

I think it's SP's overall plan. 1st half, pass. 2nd half run. It's been the formula and it's been working. I refuse to question the man.

I must admit Sean Payton's play calling was pissing me off in the first half. ...

In the SIRIUS interview ( http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129782 ) Payton said "I was not real good" in the first half, referring to his play-calling and the need to get back to the running game in the second half. (about the 6:40 mark of the interview)

Do you think he planned Drew Brees to throw an interception to a Dolphin DB with no Saints' player within 10 yards of him? Do you think he planned for Drew to throw 2 interceptions in the first half? Do you think he planned for Drew to have multiple passes batted down in the first half? Do you think he planned for Pierre Thomas and the o-line to miss their blitz pickups?

The score in the first half had everything to do with Drew, the protection being and defense horrible in the first half. It had nothing to do with play calling. It was the same game plan Payton uses in every game. He tries to throw the ball to set up the run and get a lead so we can run the ball and make the other team one dimensional on offense. It's worked since 2006 and it's working even better this year. In fact, it worked to the tune of 39 offensive points yesterday.

In the SIRIUS interview ( http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129782 ) Payton said "I was not real good" in the first half, referring to his play-calling and the need to get back to the running game in the second half. (about the 6:40 mark of the interview)

And that is what a good coach is supposed to say. He's supposed to put it on himself in front of the world and then talk to guys what they did wrong behind the scenes. It was obvious that Drew was off and the protection scheme was not working in the first half. The good news is they made some great adjustments and came roaring back.

True, maybe.

Passing tires out the defense more than running. The strategy may have looked awful, but worked out for the best.

I agree that he has matured a lot. I'm not going to try to claim that he planned all along to run in the second half and was just waiting for that. Their pass rush was killing Brees and everbody knows that you neutralize pass rush with effective between-the-tackles running. But it wasn't working the few times we tried in the first half, perhaps Miami was overly amped coming off the bye week.

But once they settled down and we started gashing them with runs, the pass rush evaporated and Brees was able to pick them apart. Whether it was exactly to plan or not, I think Payton has matured a lot over the last couple of years.

And that is what a good coach is supposed to say. He's supposed to put it on himself in front of the world and then talk to guys what they did wrong behind the scenes. It was obvious that Drew was off and the protection scheme was not working in the first half. The good news is they made some great adjustments and came roaring back.

Or maybe he did realize that he had gotten too far away from the run and that his play-calling was poor in the first half. :shrug: JMHO, but I think the game at Tampa last year was really a turning point for him as a play-caller...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom