Sean Payton: If Marcus Murphy can't fix fumbles, 'we'll find another returner' (1 Viewer)

Randy S

No Jacket Required
Reaction score
Sean Payton said:
"We get a three-and-out to start the game, and the first punt's on the ground," Saints head coach Sean Payton said. "It just can't happen. We'll find another returner."

He can make things happen in the return game, so I hope he gets the ball security issues worked out.

ARTICLE LINK

He's been dealing with the same issue since last season. He's already proven that he will consistently have those type of problems.

Fumbles are actually only part of Murphy's problems. I am far more concerned with his indecision on kickoffs (his taking it out at the last second and then getting tackled inside the ten killed the O last year) and constantly making serious mental errors like fair catching a punt inside the ten worry me as much as his fumbles.

He fumbles all the time and has been given way too many chances. This team cannot afford this. It's time to let him go.

Fumbles are actually only part of Murphy's problems. I am far more concerned with his indecision on kickoffs (his taking it out at the last second and then getting tackled inside the ten killed the O last year) and constantly making serious mental errors like fair catching a punt inside the ten worry me as much as his fumbles.

This...also his odd decision to not field one of the last kickoffs and let it bounce like 3-4 yards inside of the end zone, risking the ball taking an odd bounce rather than catching and kneeling like a normal return man. He even gave a signal to his teammates to get away, as if he had a mental lapse and was thinking it was a punt.

His errors just aren't worth the 1 or 2 nice returns. I'd even rather Cadet back there at this point. I've been critical of him for his lack of playmaking ability, but I have taken his overall soundness for granted. He seems to make very few errors.

Did lewis or Lasco get any time last night on ST?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Also stupid decision on his part to field a punt close to 5 yards instead of letting it go into the end zone for a touchback.

My initial thoughts when we drafted him was why? We have RB and returner depth? Wish we had picked another O'linemen instead. You never know when you might find a pearl ... and we sure could use one right about now.

He's flashed but isn't consistent. Cadet is consistent but hasn't flashed much in the return game. Sadly, at this point I think we have to go with the latter. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah, I trust cadet as well. He has good hands and tends to make smart decisions, even if he's not an explosive athlete. He won't win games for us as a returner, but he won't lose them either.

In another article, Payton said that Tommylee Lewis will "get every opportunity as a returner because if the alternative is putting it on the ground then we’ll find someone else.”
It may already be too late for Murphy, but I bet SP moves back to Cadet or Lewis if Murphy has any more issues in camp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom