Sean Payton is in his Prime (1 Viewer)

AmerVet

The 1 Arm Receiver
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He started his NFL coaching career in 97 as a QB coach with the Eagirls. He assumed the same position with the Giants in 1999, then quickly moved up to offensive coordinator in 2000 after only 3 years of coaching in the league. From 03 to 05 he assisted under his mentor Big Bill and eventually ran the offense. In those 9 seasons, those teams accumulated a 70-73-1 record.

The 2000 Giants gave him his 1st shot as OC and he came out blazing. They finished 12-4 and went all the way to the Superbowl where they ran into Ray Lewis, Jamie Sharper, and Duane Starks. We all know how that went on a historic level. In New York he went 36-29 He left the Giants after marking a 10-6 record in 02.

He was 25-23 with Dallas but after 05, He took a chance on himself and gravitated to a HC job where he could implement his own gameplan and try things he simply couldn't in New York and Dallas. New Orleans had way too much on it's plate already to be worrying about. There was no real pressure on the new HC.

From 06 to present day Sean Payton is 140-79 as a HC. This year will make 9 seasons we will have made the playoffs in his 14 years with us.(I know the season ain't over)
His unique coaching style hit the league so fast he was able to win a SB in his 3rd year here. We have had some tough seasons but we have had some historically great ones as well. I don't need to talk individual records because most fans know already, He can scheme for any individual to exceed expectations. So i'll just keep it about his winning.

His evolution as a HC has been on full display these last 4 seasons. Not only is he winning double digit games consistently in this span, He is doing it despite of Major injuries, having to use backup QBs, Scheming games with no #1or 2 WR, finding ways to win games leaning strongly on one weapon, and doing it in the NFC/NFCS.

He's coached in 363 games and has won 210 of them in his career. Hes a winner.
He's [46-13] 4 years running. He is absolutely in his prime right now.

To me he is NFL COTY. You can give it to Tomlin because they’re undefeated or you can give it to Flores for how he’s navigated season 2, but what coach loses their QB two seasons in a row and is (currently) 7-0 in those games without him? Tomlin is a fantastic coach, but Big Ben went down last season and the wheels fell off.

And it’s not like he is playing it safe with play-calling to scratch out wins. He completely reconfigures his game plan in the span of a week, and comes out and the teams plays efficient offensively. And that’s not even mentioning how the defense plays in these games sans Drew... If you’re talking strategic mastery, the offense shows it. If you’re talking motivational mastery, the defense shows it. It is hard to put to words how fantastic CSP has been this season.

Last edited:
To me he is NFL COTY. You can give it to Tomlin because they’re undefeated or you can give it to Flores for how he’s navigated season 2, but what coach loses their QB two seasons in a row and is (currently) 7-0 in those games with him? Tomlin is a fantastic coach, but Big Ben went down last season and the wheels fell off.

And it’s not like he is playing it safe with play-calling to scratch out wins. He completely reconfigures his game plan in the span of a week, and comes out and the teams plays efficient offensively. And that’s not even mentioning how the defense plays in these games sans Drew... If you’re talking strategic mastery, the offense shows it. If you’re talking motivational mastery, the defense shows it. It is hard to put to words how fantastic CSP has been this season.
:100::100:

I think Payton is the first to recognize that once you have all passing offenses, when you get a rushing offense, due to the relative current rarity of it, most Ds will fail. Also, we are not pure rushing, we can be anything now, he is evolving the offense to Taysom's strengths too. I notice we are rotating more O-line within games, first season ever I am seeing this. It used to be a D line concept only, a heavy rotation.

Only one thing missing for Payton—another Super Bowl victory. This is the season to fill that line in on his resume.
In 8 playoff seasons, he has 1 ring. In 11, 17, and 18 we had teams capable of winning one. We should be a dynasty at this point. Drew would be chasing #4 or 5 and the debate would be over about him and Tom.

He started his NFL coaching career in 97 as a QB coach with the Eagirls. He assumed the same position with the Giants in 1999, then quickly moved up to offensive coordinator in 2000 after only 3 years of coaching in the league. From 03 to 05 he assisted under his mentor Big Bill and eventually ran the offense. In those 9 seasons, those teams accumulated a 70-73-1 record.

The 2000 Giants gave him his 1st shot as OC and he came out blazing. They finished 12-4 and went all the way to the Superbowl where they ran into Ray Lewis, Jamie Sharper, and Duane Starks. We all know how that went on a historic level. In New York he went 36-29 He left the Giants after marking a 10-6 record in 02.

He was 25-23 with Dallas but after 05, He took a chance on himself and gravitated to a HC job where he could implement his own gameplan and try things he simply couldn't in New York and Dallas. New Orleans had way too much on it's plate already to be worrying about. There was no real pressure on the new HC.

From 06 to present day Sean Payton is 140-79 as a HC. This year will make 9 seasons we will have made the playoffs in his 14 years with us.(I know the season ain't over)
His unique coaching style hit the league so fast he was able to win a SB in his 3rd year here. We have had some tough seasons but we have had some historically great ones as well. I don't need to talk individual records because most fans know already, He can scheme for any individual to exceed expectations. So i'll just keep it about his winning.

His evolution as a HC has been on full display these last 4 seasons. Not only is he winning double digit games consistently in this span, He is doing it despite of Major injuries, having to use backup QBs, Scheming games with no #1or 2 WR, finding ways to win games leaning strongly on one weapon, and doing it in the NFC/NFCS.

He's coached in 363 games and has won 210 of them in his career. Hes a winner.
He's [46-13] 4 years running. He is absolutely in his prime right now.
Very well said sir. He's in his prime and I feel this is the perfect time for it. With Drew leaving after this season, I'm excited to see what he does with a young QB of his choice. He would solidify his Hall of Fame resume if he can sustain this success post-Brees. I have the utmost faith that he can and will.

In 8 playoff seasons, he has 1 ring. In 11, 17, and 18 we had teams capable of winning one. We should be a dynasty at this point. Drew would be chasing #4 or 5 and the debate would be over about him and Tom.

And because of this there will be a bit of a cloud when we look back at the Brees/Payton era even if we win it all this year, even if Payton wins another one or two Super Bowls post Drew

Disappointment isn’t the right word and underperforming isn’t quite right either but I think there will always be a sense of “what could have been?”

Last edited:
Steelers are gonna lose a game or 2 soon and Payton will get the lead. He's the best coach this season with how bad the pats have been doing and Andy Reid playing a soft schedule getting carried by Mahomes. Even if the world don't recognize him. He's gonna gameplan us to the super bowl this year.

As for this season...

The outcome of the game in 2 weeks will be necessary for late season recognition.

So far, the only playoff team we have beat is the Bucs (and with any luck they will get bounced).

Lets take down the Chiefs (after the Failclowns) and knock the Vikings into a must win situation.

And because of this there will be a bit of a cloud when we look back at the Brees/Payton era even if we win it all this year, even if Payton wins another one or two Super Bowls post Drew

Disappointment isn’t the right word and underperforming isn’t quite right either but I think there will always be a sense of “what could have been?”

I understand where you’re coming from, and I can agree that most analysts will also see it this way. However, I sometimes laugh to myself when I think how easily some people (not saying you are) dismiss the rarity of winning multiple superbowls in this era. What the Patriots did was borderline miraculous and in twenty years they got five...FIVE!
The most any team has in the modern era is SIX (Pittsburgh).

Now, juxtapose that to MLB, NBA, NHL most prolific champions and it’s no comparison. Getting to the game is a feat in itself. But, to win a Super Bowl and then go on to do it multiple times is remarkable.

I hope and pray that this is our year to take another chip. I feel like we are still owed from ‘18. But if we fall short, I honestly can’t demote Sean/Drew‘s era for winning only one when they were never expected to get that one. Plus, Holgrem(?)/Farve, Dungy/Peyton, Young/Seiford, Rogers/McCarthy, Warner/Martz and possibly Wilson/Carroll, Big Ben/Tomlin were all projected to win multiple chips at some point in their tandem. Projections mean nothing in this sport compared to the other major leagues. There’s too many variables from injuries that can completely detour an entire season.

By definition for a sports dynasty, the Sean Payton led Saints are a dynasty.

Nowadays, this sense of dynasty is often applied to a sports franchise which has a prolonged run of successful seasons.

Out of 14 seasons as HC, SP has only had 4 losing seasons (all 7-9) and one 8-8 season.

All of this is correct.

It's definitely a "what could have been" period of Saints football.

To me he is NFL COTY. You can give it to Tomlin because they’re undefeated or you can give it to Flores for how he’s navigated season 2, but what coach loses their QB two seasons in a row and is (currently) 7-0 in those games without him? Tomlin is a fantastic coach, but Big Ben went down last season and the wheels fell off.

Its Blasphemy that he didn't win it last year.

It will be Blasphemy if he doesn't win it this year!

There hasn't been another Coach in this league that has gotten his team ready like Sean Payton has when adversity has struck.

I have always thought Bill was the best coach in the NFL, but even Bill can't do what Sean has done!

At this point I think Sean is in a league of his own

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom