Sean Payton Is Making His Case For The HOF (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This run with Teddy is making his case for the Hall Of Fame. He already has a winning percentage over .600, a championship, and a regular in the playoffs. The last few games have shown he can still win without Brees.

I would love to see him and Drew get a second ring. That would put a huge exclamation point on both of their careers. And yes, SP is definitely making a strong case right now
Also consider that he’s got at least 5 seasons with the Saints and he’s getting closer to 200 wins.

If he wins another SB he will get looks, but there is too much competition for the 5 slots to be sure he will even be a semi-finalist.

If he wins another SB he will get looks, but there is too much competition for the 5 slots to be sure he will even be a semi-finalist.
In my opinion, there are four coaches that have defined the 2000s so far: Coughlin, Payton, Tomlin, and Belechick. Coughlin has had two Super Bowls. Belechick is a lock so that needs no explanation. Payton and Tomlin each have one, but they each have a winning percentage over .600. I think that makes a strong case.
I didn’t mention Dungy because he’s already in the Hall.

In my opinion, there are four coaches that have defined the 2000s so far: Coughlin, Payton, Tomlin, and Belechick. Coughlin has had two Super Bowls. Belechick is a lock so that needs no explanation. Payton and Tomlin each have one, but they each have a winning percentage over .600. I think that makes a strong case.
I didn’t mention Dungy because he’s already in the Hall.
The problem is for the HoF coaches have to compete with players for a mere 5 spots not just with each other.

That's what some analysts meant when they said the no call "changed legacies".

It cost Drew a chance at having even stronger backing as the GOAT and it cost Payton better odds for his HOF eligibility.

Because a 2nd ring likely gets Payton in the HOF for sure.

Yet dimwit NFL fans still wonder why the NFCCG is so hard for Saints fans to "get over it".

I totally agree that he’ll deserve it when it’s all said and done. But after the suspension, after being the whipping post of the NFL, they won’t do it.

True. But if he can get to 200 wins or even close within the range of Bud Grant at 158 with a championship; I think he has a good shot.
I think that he needs another ring or 2. Maybe one of those after Drew retires. He deserves the honor through my B&G glasses, but a coach getting in is a tough task.

200 wins gets him in.

Projecting 13 wins this year and 10 wins on average the next 5 seasons gets him to 191.

I totally agree that he’ll deserve it when it’s all said and done. But after the suspension, after being the whipping post of the NFL, they won’t do it.

There are several players/administrators already in the NFL Hall of Fame that have faced hefty fines/suspensions. As long as Payton keeps winning, his resume will become too decorated to ignore.

There are several players/administrators already in the NFL Hall of Fame that have faced hefty fines/suspensions. As long as Payton keeps winning, his resume will become too decorated to ignore.
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the NFL has anything to do with the Hall of Fame. It's not the NFL Hall of Fame. It's the Professional Football Hall of Fame, and it's a completely separate entity. Either way, as long as Roger Goodell never sniffs the ballot, I'll be happy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom