Sean Payton is the voice of reason (1 Viewer)

I used to think reviewing them was the way to fix it, but I don't think so. They'd just never overturn them because every play has some contact. The NFL is stubborn like that.

The way to fix it is to simplify the rule. No more under thrown balls being PI. If the ball is on the backside of the DB, then it should now be his ball. No more stopping on routes and getting PI. Jump balls should only be PI if the DB prevents the WR from going up. It's unfair to ask a DB to not touch a WR when they are both going up for the same high spot. There will always be contact.

Basically, the WR should have a right to his route (going one way, he can't stop and come back through the DB and it be PI), his arms being free, and not being slowed by contact. Any other contact by the DB or forced contact by the WR should not be a foul. Did the DB put a hand around his waste? So what if it didn't affect the WR (we saw this with BW Webb twice on Sunday). No call. And the "DB must turn his head" thing shouldn't be a factor. Did he interfere and markedly change the WRs ability to catch the ball? If not, then no call. This guessing about whether he was playing the ball or not is dumb and pointless.

If anyone watched that abomination of a game last night, you know exactly why it's time for PI and defensive holding to be called less tightly. It's ruining the game.

Yeah, it'll benefit teams like the Seahawks, but I don't care anymore (although you could still call defensive holding the way it is, that's the main thing teams like the Seahawks took advantage of). The NFL as a whole is now so flawed the way it is.There's also something to be said for an offense that can get their players open regardless.

But what constitutes egregious vs non-egregious? There has to be a clear definition or its not worth reviewing. It's hard to review a judgement call.

That's too complicated.

Easy solution is to make it a spot foul if it's within 5 minutes of each half. We already have other rules that are predicated on that.

That's too complicated.

Easy solution is to make it a spot foul if it's within 5 minutes of each half. We already have other rules that are predicated on that.

To me, the remedy to this issue with making PI a 15 yard penalty is for the NFL to have a rule similar to the NBA's "clear path" foul. In basketball, if a player is determined to be fouled with a clear path, he gets the 2 free throws and the offense retains possession. Similarly, if a defender grabs a receiver who is determined to have a clear path, the normal spot foul should be enforced. There could be criteria set in place to determine clear path.

So, basically, most PI's are 15 yards and automatic first. Clear path PI's turn into spot fouls like now. If we make PI's reviewable, then PI's in the end zone get placed at the 1 yard line. I think that makes PI fair to both sides of the ball.

This "reviews make the game longer" stuff is BS! CFB reviews plays all the time and it doesn't slow them down. Have a panel that reviews plays right after they happen and send the info down to the ref. With today's technology, the video is ready instantly and can be reviewed instantly. The ref's throwing flags every other snap is what slows the game down, not reviews!

You can punch a guy in the mouth, kick him in the jewels or yank his helmet off and get a 15 yard penalty but if you grab his arm while he goes for the ball it's a 65 yard penalty? How is that fair?

I get the logic (I'm not saying it's right, though)....

I'm a safety, and the receiver I'm covering is blowing by me and about to be wide open with no one behind me. We are 25 yards downfield, why not tackle him to prevent the touchdown?

To me, the remedy to this issue with making PI a 15 yard penalty is for the NFL to have a rule similar to the NBA's "clear path" foul. In basketball, if a player is determined to be fouled with a clear path, he gets the 2 free throws and the offense retains possession. Similarly, if a defender grabs a receiver who is determined to have a clear path, the normal spot foul should be enforced. There could be criteria set in place to determine clear path.

So, basically, most PI's are 15 yards and automatic first. Clear path PI's turn into spot fouls like now. If we make PI's reviewable, then PI's in the end zone get placed at the 1 yard line. I think that makes PI fair to both sides of the ball.

I like the idea...but, then we end up with what we had with the face mask thing a few years back. It becomes a judgement call on whether or not it's a 15 yard penalty or a spot foul. Then we end up with the refs making a judgement call on whether or not something is a penalty, THEN making a second judgement call on how much of a penalty it is.

I would love for the rules to all be written to where there is no judgement involved. Either something is a penalty or not. Adding more room for interpretation got us to where we are with the "catch" rules.

I agree with Bonchie's line of thinking. For judgment calls (pass interference, but also holding), for a flag to be thrown there needs to be a clear violation. There's too much inconsistency in what is allowed from one crew to the next, and officials should not be determining winners and losers. So reduce their roles and allow more contact, and don't throw a flag unless it's an unquestionable violation. This would surely reduce offense and scoring, but it would speed the game back up (the game on Sunday was 3:40 minutes without overtime -- way too long).

How about full time refs who are graded each week on their performances. During the week they would be required to go in to watch film of all the games, especially controversial calls. Pay them decent salaries but also fine them for bad or missed calls. Those with the highest grades would be selected for the playoff games which would entitle them to a bonus. The best of these would participate in the Super Bowl for another bonus.

It's sad to think, but NFL games are controlled by amateurs.
I know, it would never happen.

The easiest solution of all is to make the penalty reviewable. I'm sure that any coach in the situation where the opposing team has just gotten the ball on the 1 yard line will throw the challenge flag, and the officials can easily decide whether the foul was flagrant or not. If an arm was pulled down, vision obscured while the defender wasn't looking back for the ball, things like that would be flagrant. If it was an arm around the waist or pulling the jersey with no impediment to the receiver's motion then no. An egregious call would get the PI penalty; otherwise use the illegal holding penalty.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom