Sean Payton is the voice of reason (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Sean Payton hopes pass interference eligible for review 'sooner than later'

METAIRIE, La. -- New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton said he hopes pass interference calls will become eligible for replay review "sooner than later" -- a cause that the rival Atlanta Falcons would probably agree with after Sunday.

"That specific call is so critical to get right," said Payton, who said the idea has been brought up and discussed by "a number of clubs" in recent years to no avail.

Sean Payton of New Orleans Saints wants replay for pass interference calls

I think we all knew he was a smart guy, lets just hope that Jeff Fischer and his competition committee does what is right.

if anything, make it like college and a 15 yard penalty. spot of the foul is a little extreme. that was 3 straight penalties that led to TDs yest.

if anything, make it like college and a 15 yard penalty. spot of the foul is a little extreme. that was 3 straight penalties that led to TDs yest.

This is the true voice of reason. Totally ridiculous with the rules now that it be at the spot of the foul.

IMO only PI in the end zone or games will end up being 6 hours. Instant replay isn't the answer. Add more officials on the field and teach them to judge consistently.

I want these penalties to be reviewable, but I can also see how it can get out of hand. Pass interference can be contested MANY times in a game. I imagine there would have to be stipulations in place to prevent the game from slowing down to a crawl.

It's a jump ball, and Sherm's hand was on his arm. That happens all the time. Every play there's stuff going on," Carroll said. "Imagine what it's like on a Hail Mary play when there's five guys on defense back there, and there's three or four guys on offense. There's all kinds of bumping and shoving and stuff. They have to determine it. So that's not a big deal at all.

This is the same guy who thinks the Fail Mary call was good. Funny how that works.

I don't see how allowing challenges on these calls significantly slows the game down. You have a finite number of challenges, so the amount of time is already allocated.

I agree with reviewing it to make sure it was or not but not the 15yd penalty. Many times the defensive back has grabbed a receiver to keep him from scoring and that's worth more then 15yds.

I know it's been said before a hundred times but..... I think the NFL has a vested interest in keeping games close and "exciting". They have no desire to make it fair, they want you on the edge of your seats. In innocence I would say they find the inconsistency to to create excitement and have no desire to remove it completely. As a cynic I would say they intentionally use the inconsistency to drive the outcomes they want. Personally, my joy of the game is dwindling because the league is full of inconsistencies and I am really sad that this traditional pastime is being soiled er....spoiled.

They have to do something. The integrity of the the game is at stake. Some teams get away with it,some teams they flag them for it. And it's not just play to play, it's certain teams get away with it on a consistent basis.
It points too much to the games being rigged.

I want these penalties to be reviewable, but I can also see how it can get out of hand. Pass interference can be contested MANY times in a game. I imagine there would have to be stipulations in place to prevent the game from slowing down to a crawl.

Coaches get 2 challenges. Burn em how you wish. So, they'd have to be really sure about PI to use it for that (if they changed the rule).

Coaches get 2 challenges. Burn em how you wish. So, they'd have to be really sure about PI to use it for that (if they changed the rule).

That would be great if the coaches could figure out what the "rule" is.

I agree with reviewing it to make sure it was or not but not the 15yd penalty. Many times the defensive back has grabbed a receiver to keep him from scoring and that's worth more then 15yds.

You can punch a guy in the mouth, kick him in the jewels or yank his helmet off and get a 15 yard penalty but if you grab his arm while he goes for the ball it's a 65 yard penalty? How is that fair?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom