Sean Payton is the voice of reason (2 Viewers)

While I don't want to see a situation like seattle had going a couple years ago, where they interfered every play, knowing that the refs weren't going to call it every time, there's precedent for QBs to intentionally throw the pass on 3rd and miles, anticipating the PI call (Peyton Manning a few years back)

The answer is somewhere in between what the college rules are and what we have in the NFL.

Personally, I'm thinking the following solution may be the answer: If PI is called and it's not challenged, it gets assessed as a 15 yard penalty. If it's challenged and upheld, it should be spot of the foul. If it's challenged and overturned, then there's no foul and the down is over, as it's an incomplete pass. No limitation on challenges. The risk alone should dissuade frivolous challenges.

Absolutely, PI should be reviewable. The refs have proven far too often that they're not infallible.

if anything, make it like college and a 15 yard penalty. spot of the foul is a little extreme. that was 3 straight penalties that led to TDs yest.

Changes nothing. Its still a subjective call. Driving down the field down by 3, Oh no, facing a 4th and 12. Ball gets batted down. But wait! Here comes a late flag. Defensive PI! Automatic First Down!!! New set of downs to keep the drive alive.

It needs to be challenged, but so does holding.

if anything, make it like college and a 15 yard penalty. spot of the foul is a little extreme. that was 3 straight penalties that led to TDs yest.

It's a borderline exploit the offense can use to 'bail' them out and get them back in the ballgame. Why it isn't reviewable and a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down is beyond my reasoning.

IMO only PI in the end zone or games will end up being 6 hours. Instant replay isn't the answer. Add more officials on the field and teach them to judge consistently.

You can't teach someone to judge consistently when you probably have over 100 people involved. IMHO

I always said make it Spot of the foul; OR half the distance to the goal; Whichever is less. That makes it complicated, but its far more fair than both NFL and NCAA penalties.

NFL, you can get the ball on the 1 on a 60 yard bomb and NCAA you can get screwed on a 60 yard bomb because the DB commits the penalty on purpose knowing you'll only get 15.

Make it so.

Slightly off topic, but the TD pass to Josh Hill that was originally ruled incomplete, why were there no flags thrown?? That was the perfect example of PI, the DB never got his head around... but no flag?? I know there was a flag for roughing the passer, but if that was truly 'incomplete' then there had to have been flags thrown for PI? The inconsistency of PI will be the death of me, there needs to be some sort of rule change

I always said make it Spot of the foul; OR half the distance to the goal; Whichever is less. That makes it complicated, but its far more fair than both NFL and NCAA penalties.

NFL, you can get the ball on the 1 on a 60 yard bomb and NCAA you can get screwed on a 60 yard bomb because the DB commits the penalty on purpose knowing you'll only get 15.

Make it so.

I agree with this. I'm not sure I agree with a blanket 15 yard penalty because savvy veteran NFL players would commit blatant PI on any 50/50 ball. The call that Julio jones didn't get against Seattle is a perfect example. The DB would be incentivized to make a PI in that situation because the max penalty is 15 yards, resulting in only a 15 yard penalty instead of a 45 yard reception (I don't recall the exact distance but it doesn't matter). At least with making PI a spot foul you keep DBs somewhat honest when they're either clearly beaten or in late game situations.

The problem with that is with only a 15 yard penalty, it's too easy to prevent a long bomb by just grabbing the receiver. A 15 yard penalty is better than a 50 yard reception. That can be crucial at the end of the first half and even more so at the end of the game.

The problem with that is with only a 15 yard penalty, it's too easy to prevent a long bomb by just grabbing the receiver. A 15 yard penalty is better than a 50 yard reception. That can be crucial at the end of the first half and even more so at the end of the game.

Slight tangent here: how is that receivers do not grasp the concept that an OPI is a 1000X better than an INT!

(In other words, do everything you can to prevent the INT!)

The penalty should be 15 yards for non-egregious PIs, and spot calls for egregious PIs. With that rule, 2 of our PIs may have been 15 yards, but Vacarro's would've been 15 yards at most. I would only make the spot calls reviewable.

The penalty should be 15 yards for non-egregious PIs, and spot calls for egregious PIs. With that rule, 2 of our PIs may have been 15 yards, but Vacarro's would've been 15 yards at most. I would only make the spot calls reviewable.

But what constitutes egregious vs non-egregious? There has to be a clear definition or its not worth reviewing. It's hard to review a judgement call.

All of this. No need to stop the game when you can just give the fifteen yards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom