Video Sean Payton & Mickey Loomis Day 2 Saints Draft Recap | 2020 NFL Draft[Merged] (1 Viewer)

Best I could do. Sorry if its repetative or if I missed anything.

Both Mickey and Sean talked about how long and how many teams they called to see about getting up to get Baun. A lot of time on Trautman trade as well. Both mentioned or made it seem that they were working the phone from 33 on.

Sean:

Took the better part of an hour to get Baun deal done. Thought they had a deal in place that didn't work out. Very comfortable with the compensation. Sweated a few picks hoping he wouldn't come off the board. All these players are off the chart smart (helps without an offseason program). Guys that can learn fairly quickly. Look at team, where players fit and who can make a roster. Have meeting and say which positions can come in an contribute. LB was one of those where a player can come in and compete. OL the same as well at TE. Have a great opportunity tomorrow to pay attention to what happens in front and identify players that can come in and make our roster. Mentioned an extra CB, in which positions he'd like to be if he was drafted by the Saints along with OL, TE and LB. Feels like they have a veteran experienced team and compared this team to the 2006 team. Made the point in 2006 there were much more players that could make the team, this year spaces and spots are limited. Very happy with the process, staff did a great job, communication good. A lot of time spent on the phone with other teams. Can't think of how many calls were made to move forward. We helped ourselves, everyone is excited. Players that were definite Saints prototype target players. Fit what we are about. Sean also said having no picks tomorrow might put them in better position to find, rank and sign the UDFA class. Trade may appear like a lot but point totals of our picks matched the trade. Clear vision for both players.

Mickey

All three players were in their top 40. Fair value on the trades. Tried forever to make the deal that got us Baun. Talked to a bunch of teams. Thought they were close a couple times and it feel through. Called 10-12 teams to get Trautman. Obviously Baun was pretty high if they were making calls to get in the 30's. Trade was difficult because of how far they would need to jump. Said 30-40 range was probably not realistic because of how far they needed to move up but "never hurts to call". Said they had a couple deals they thought were close (both Sean and Mickey) but worked out in the long run. Was very surprised both players were still there, seemed especially surprised that Trautman was available and he was alone on their board when they moved up. Mickey talks about how hard it'll be to make a the team this year and that may have played into it. "quality over quantity".
Asked if he had a 1st round grade on Baun because they were trying to get up to top of 2nd round. Didn't want to talk about grade just said all three were top 40 players. Had limits on the trade and it worked out great for us because we didn't have to spend as much as we were willing to (were willing to spend more to get Baun). It got to the point to what we had left was reasonable compensation for the bottom of the 3rd. Made that deal much quicker because of the time restraints of the round. Interested in seeing how the UDFA process goes on with not being in the same room (keeping track of guys, offers, money available) but will have all day to plan for it. Will have their targets and as soon as last pick is made will hit the ground running. Philosophy has always been if they have a vision on someone to go get them. Have a lot of young talented players that have performed and have some unknown guys that we haven't seen they like a lot. Extremely excited, 3 high quality, high character players that fit with the roster perfectly. Have had success in UDFA area and excited about what they'll find there. Has a lot of pride in post draft over the years and expects that to continue tomorrow. Felt pretty good about their board, Jeff does a great job of honing in on the guys they have an affinity for. Some gaps but nothing large. Didn't feel like lack of contact hindered them. Is a deep draft at WR, a lot of guys they liked but didn't come to pass that one of those guys were available or other guys they liked a little better. Feels good about group, Sanders. Mentioned Smith, done some really good things to date. Said there are some other young guys they like. Didn't feel like others outside the organization felt. Love the prospect of Taysom in the future. Drew is back, great room. Not a must draft for QB. If someone would've feel they could have taken them but didn't.

Ruiz

Love the talent and quality of player
Fits in perfectly with what they think a Saints player is
Intellegent, tough, gritty, endearing to teammates and leadership quality's
Nothing they don't like.

Sean on players

Ruiz

Thought interior Oline was a need and he can help us

Baun

Sees him more as a linebacker but likes his pressure traits and can play in a stack position and versatility as a rusher.
Sees him versitle as both MLB and SLB.
Thought he'd be drafted in the first 20 picks of the 2nd round. Didn't think they'd have a chance to get him without a 2nd round pick. Were making calls for better part of an hour to move up to get him.

Trautman

See him as a true Y
For a small college player, has good inline strentgh
Good hips, change of direction. See how he sets up routes
Can help as an inline TE
1st year build on some things he can do inside
One of the better blocking TE's in the draft, especially coming from a small school
Can gain weight
Loose in hips and change of direction
Inpressions after the season were very good
Clearly wouldn't have seen him available where they picked him.

Incredibly, Mickey said they were happy with their WR group and it was not a priority. I like the value moves they have made but no interest in WR is a head scratcher at least for me as a fan. He also said they are serious about Taysom as a QB. It seems to me they will give him a shot but....I am glad they preserved draft capital next year to make a QB move then. They have to bring in a QB now just to have a third guy, though. Must be eying a veteran we don't know about.

Incredibly, Mickey said they were happy with their WR group and it was not a priority. I like the value moves they have made but no interest in WR is a head scratcher at least for me as a fan. He also said they are serious about Taysom as a QB. It seems to me they will give him a shot but....I am glad they preserved draft capital next year to make a QB move then. They have to bring in a QB now just to have a third guy, though. Must be eying a veteran we don't know about.

That's the thing tho I think they still are high on Tre'Quan and they want to see how Deonte looks more in the offense as well.

Tre'Quan still can turn it around. It's his third year. I think as a fan we write people off kinda early not understanding that it does take some longer time for players to adjust. Lol. Colston and MT prob spoiled us when it comes to WRs coming in and just getting it and being great. Tre'Quan's biggest issue imo is mental. He seems like he is in his own head when he just needs to go out there and have fun w/ it and not think about it so much. Plus, kid has to stay healthy, he needs to build some more muscle to his body.

Deonte is a speedster, I can see them thinking he can take over for Ted Ginn in some spots and when he gets more acclimated into the offense, he'll be great.

When you have Sanders locked up for 2 years, drafting a receiver isn’t a must. I think they will try to draft one next year if the need is still there.

That's the thing tho I think they still are high on Tre'Quan and they want to see how Deonte looks more in the offense as well.

Tre'Quan still can turn it around. It's his third year. I think as a fan we write people off kinda early not understanding that it does take some longer time for players to adjust. Lol. Colston and MT prob spoiled us when it comes to WRs coming in and just getting it and being great. Tre'Quan's biggest issue imo is mental. He seems like he is in his own head when he just needs to go out there and have fun w/ it and not think about it so much. Plus, kid has to stay healthy, he needs to build some more muscle to his body.

Deonte is a speedster, I can see them thinking he can take over for Ted Ginn in some spots and when he gets more acclimated into the offense, he'll be great.
I hope TQS is not a Nick Toon situation. Deonte at least earns his keep as a returner. I would feel better if they added some WR's to come in and compete.

He said we had quite a few WRs in our top 40. But we only had one pick in the top 40. We used that pick on an interior OL knowing quality receivers would be available in later rounds, but the same quality Interior OL would not.

Then Baun became our target. Evidently he was our guy and that trumped any of the remaining receivers. Luckily, he stayed available long enough for us to be able to afford to trade for him.

Then at the end of the third round we saw another one of our top 40 guys somehow still available. Hes a TE and even though that's not a WR, it's still a pass catcher.

The mass opinion of saints fans this offseason was that we needed another top notch receiver... we got Emanuel Sanders. For what were going to need from a WR3 this year, with all of our other receiving options, I think it's safe to say that TQS is plenty capable.

Great draft when your 2nd pick is at the end of the 3rd round and you end up with 3 guys in your top 40.

He said we had quite a few WRs in our top 40. But we only had one pick in the top 40. We used that pick on an interior OL knowing quality receivers would be available in later rounds, but the same quality Interior OL would not.

Then Baun became our target. Evidently he was our guy and that trumped any of the remaining receivers. Luckily, he stayed available long enough for us to be able to afford to trade for him.

Then at the end of the third round we saw another one of our top 40 guys somehow still available. Hes a TE and even though that's not a WR, it's still a pass catcher.

The mass opinion of saints fans this offseason was that we needed another top notch receiver... we got Emanuel Sanders. For what were going to need from a WR3 this year, with all of our other receiving options, I think it's safe to say that TQS is plenty capable.

Great draft when your 2nd pick is at the end of the 3rd round and you end up with 3 guys in your top 40.
Apparently they also think TQS is plenty capable, and they did the year before and the year before that... At least we have Sanders and CGM. I don't see any other receivers being productive, just like the last couple of years.

One thing that stood out to me is that Sean references a draft chart with values assigned to each slot. He talks about the “point differential” and the challenge, for example, it would take to move from the bottom of the third to the top of the second. Listen starting around the 4:00-4:30 mark in the video.

Some people say draft charts that give point values are antiquated, but reading between the lines the Saints obviously use some variation of a point system. I’m not saying they use the one Jimmie Johnson created all those years back, but I do think it’s worth mentioning as I’ve seen some posters blow this off when evaluating draft trades.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom