Sean Payton miss opportunities in the recent draft for a future franchise quarterback. (1 Viewer)

Has anyone noticed how the ego one reacted when his potential replacement was drafted and his predecessor? When you draft a 1st or 2nd round QB while HOF the QB is getting older. That kinda has a tendency to rock the boat. Plus, I do think Sean has a preference for a vet, not a rook to keep things going smoothly.

Yep, thank God we didn't draft Lamar Jackson. What would we do with one of the biggest stars in the NFL at QB, right?

You know it's okay to admit that the Saints front office isn't perfect, right? Are people honestly saying they would rather have Jameis or Taysom or Siemien than Lamar freakin Jackson?!?! The delusion. A SP designed offense around Lamar Jackson would be insane.

Drew brought us ONE Superbowl in 15 years. Jameis, Taysom, and Seimian haven't brought us ONE playoff game. I'll take a QB that just gets us to the playoffs any day.

Yep, thank God we didn't draft Lamar Jackson. What would we do with one of the biggest stars in the NFL at QB, right?

You know it's okay to admit that the Saints front office isn't perfect, right? Are people honestly saying they would rather have Jameis or Taysom or Siemien than Lamar freakin Jackson?!?! The delusion. A SP designed offense around Lamar Jackson would be insane.

Drew brought us ONE Superbowl in 15 years. Jameis, Taysom, and Seimian haven't brought us ONE playoff game. I'll take a QB that just gets us to the playoffs any day.
Who said that? That was a crazy draft because the 2 best QBs Josh and Lamar went late, while Baker ad Mitch were top picks. Most of the teams in the league passed on Lamar, FYI. The focus was on continuing Drew's run. The only evidence we have is the speculation that they wanted Mahomes. Hindsight is 20/20.

I get that line of thinking, except the part where he was going to Dallas. I mean that rhetoric started every single offseason for years. I think the writers just copied and pasted the same "articles" from the previous offseason.

What I'm getting at with SP in New Orleans is his relationship with Loomis, who would be the one to send him packing. The only reason I could see him doing that would be pressure from the owner, and I don't think Mrs. Benson is involved with the team on that level. From all accounts, Loomis does what Loomis wants to do. And I think that carries over to Sean Payton.

On a side note, I do wonder exactly how much longer SP would want to keep coaching our team if this tailspin continues into next year, or even the next. We've dug ourselves quite a hole cap-wise, and we're missing the absolutely most important piece to build around. Yeah, Jameis or Taysom or some QB TBD could be "that" guy for us and our M*A*S*H unit could go back to manageable levels at some point. We could hit big in another draft or two and be right back in the mix, even as soon as next season. Who knows??? But, if that doesn't happen, I think it's possible that at some point, Coach P could press the eject button. I hope not, but that is one possibility.

...maybe he'd finally go to Dallas? :poop::p
Payton is under contract through 2024 at about $13M per year he isn't going anywhere until then unless Gail or Loomis fires him and I don't see that happening.

Who said that? That was a crazy draft because the 2 best QBs Josh and Lamar went late, while Baker ad Mitch were top picks. Most of the teams in the league passed on Lamar, FYI. The focus was on continuing Drew's run. The only evidence we have is the speculation that they wanted Mahomes. Hindsight is 20/20.
Who said that? Did you not read this thread at all? Multiple posts saying we're better of with what we have.

The minute we traded up literally every draft pundit was saying "Here we go, the Saints are trading up for Lamar Jackson.", so it wasn't some far fetched idea that none of us caught until after the fact.

And that wasn't even the point of my post to begin with. We didn't draft Lamar, that's fine. Hindsight and all. But to pretend like now we're so much better off with Winston or Hill or Book or whoever is ludicrous. At least now, WITH hindsight, we should be able to say we should have drafted him over Davenport, end of story. It would have DEFINITELY been the better pick.

Look… I love Taysom as an all around player, and Winston won me over (and that’s really saying something)…

But if the Saints decide to look to the draft for a QB… I want Kenny Pickett. Did you see that fake slide he pulled out tonight en route to a long TD run!!!! Wow! That kid has “it”

The Saints won the NFC South the last 4 years. We were a bad call, flag away from another shot at the Superbowl every year and here we are listening to people whine that we should have moved around and drafted a QB as if that would have made one tiny bit of difference with all things the same this year.

You could have drafted Dan Marino in Jimmy Graham's body and it wouldn't matter with the injuries and luck we've seen this year EXCEPT that we wouldn't have been a game away from the superbowl the past 4 years.

I am saying I would MUCH rather have Jameis Winston than Lamar Jackson. Or anyone that can read a defense, adjust for blitzes and has a talented arm. I'd rather have Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Mac Jones than Jackson.

I don't usually make bold claims like this but Lamar Jackson isn't gonna get it done. I'd bet money on it if I was a betting man.

Is the Saints front office and coaching staff infallible? No way. They and everyone else in the league miss all the time. There's only 1 SB winner each year. Do the math.

The Saints were right to go all in these past three years it was the closest thing they were gonna have to a sure thing.

Why would Payton go anywhere else? He has absolute power in New Orleans. The local media is deathly afraid of stepping on his toes. If he went to Dallas, he has to worry about the constant meddling of Jerry Jones. If he goes to New York, the media will run his butt out of town in a millisecond there.

Look… I love Taysom as an all around player, and Winston won me over (and that’s really saying something)…

But if the Saints decide to look to the draft for a QB… I want Kenny Pickett. Did you see that fake slide he pulled out tonight en route to a long TD run!!!! Wow! That kid has “it”
That fake slide was a headsey play, but it should've been ruled down where he started the fake slide. One thing it did show was that he's creative...I like seeing stuff like that.

He got away with it just that one time, it won't happen again. It's almost like Scam running along the sidelines then ducking out as he's about to get hit.

A hurdle certainly was our drafting low in the draft from 2018 through 2021, However, in the 2017 draft, we were one pick from Mahomes and could have drafted Watson, who was picked immediately after we selected Lattimore. And in the 2018 draft, we could have picked Lamar Jackson without even moving up. But ultimately, yes, we did not have a successor to Brees when he finally retired, and he retired a year after he should have.

Who said that? Did you not read this thread at all? Multiple posts saying we're better of with what we have.

The minute we traded up literally every draft pundit was saying "Here we go, the Saints are trading up for Lamar Jackson.", so it wasn't some far fetched idea that none of us caught until after the fact.

And that wasn't even the point of my post to begin with. We didn't draft Lamar, that's fine. Hindsight and all. But to pretend like now we're so much better off with Winston or Hill or Book or whoever is ludicrous. At least now, WITH hindsight, we should be able to say we should have drafted him over Davenport, end of story. It would have DEFINITELY been the better pick.
Did you see my post about what happens when you draft a QB in the 1st round while your aging HOF QB is still here? Most interpret it as you are pushing them out. Brady didn't like Jimmy, Farve didn't like Rogers, and Rogers didn't like Love. The Saints choose to let Drew make the call instead of rushing him. I believe the initial plan was for Teddy to takeover but Drew stayed another year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom