Sean Payton on 4pm CST PFT (1 Viewer)

Yeah, it's obvious that Ingram is a rhythm runner. I like the idea of giving him a series to get in the groove, and supplement that with sparks from Ivory, PT, and Sproles.

Ivory is a rhythm runner too, and PT. I've always thought they should just pick one for a game to get the bulk of the carries, then get time off to heal up instead of constant rotation. I'm holding out hope they do that this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Ingram pop a 100yd game on 25 carries followed by giving Ivory 25 the next week and so on. I think the results are much better than 3 weeks in a row where none of them get more than 12 carries.

Just picking out the 5 games in November of last year as a sample:

Eagles: PT 6/44, Ingram 7/44, Ivory 10/48
Falcons: PT 5/10, Ingram 16/16, Ivory 7/72
Raiders: PT 5/30, Ingram 12/67, Ivory 8/37
49ers: PT 1/0, Ingram 10/27, Ivory 8/34
Falcons: PT 14/84, Ingram 6/13, Ivory 3/4

I'd much rather have seen what could have been with
PT 2, Ingram 21, Ivory 0
PT 5, Ingram 0, Ivory 23
PT 21, Ingram 4, Ivory 0
PT 1, Ingram 0, Ivory 18
PT 2 Ingram 21, Ivory 2

Something like that anyway, same number of runs. Each back with a shot at 20 I think would be more productive, and the relative rest week would improve their legs later in the season. I'm pessimistic that that'll happen, but it's what I'd love to see in 2013. If one of the 3 fails to produce once or twice go with the two hot backs, but give someone, anyone, 20 carries if you can.

P.S.

PT has gotten at least 1 carry in 72 regular season games. Only in 13 of those games has he gotten 14+ carries, 8 of those he was above his career 4.75ypc, 3 others were 3.74, 3.95 and 4.53 so over 80% of the time he's golden with more carries.

MI has gotten at least 1 carry in 26 regular season games. Only in 8 of those games has he gotten 14+ carries, 3 of those he was above his career 3.87ypc (twice over 6.4), so less clearly productive yet with more carries, though his career is short and I think there's no doubt he's set to do better with more carries in a game, his two biggest career games in ypc being when he got 14 carries.

Ivory has gotten at least 1 carry in 24 regular season games. Only in 7 of those games has he gotten 14+ carries, 3 of Ivory's 4 best ypc games came with more than 15 carries, but they were the only 3 above his career 5.11ypc.

Great Interview...i would love to see these Saints go 80 yards and score just with the running game, it would turn opposing DC's brains to mush. :grin:
Thanks for posting.

I loved his taken on Free Agency vs the Draft and expectations and reactions. Food is a good analogy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom