Sean Payton on Drew's final season and Taysom Hill (on ESPN, March 31st) Video available now (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This morning Sean Payton was interviewed by Mike Greenberg.

I made this transcript about the role of Taysom Hill this year:

"Yeah, I think the role is pretty clear, and first and foremost we still view him as a quarterback and we spent a lot of time of this offseason discussing our vision for him this season at quarterback but then also at the "F" position, and I mean by that Mike, is that slash tight end, receiver. He is a tremendous blocker, he is physical. I don't know that people, I don't think that people realize how fast he is. He is probably one of the 3-4 fastest guys on our team.

So, he'll play that "F" position , he'll certainly be involved in the kicking game. It's one of the things he takes pride in and is very good at, and then the unique situation with our team and our quarterback Drew Brees is he's announced he is coming back for his final season.

I think Taysom sees himself as a starting quarterback in this league and we do too. Now, because of what we choose to do with him in game day we have to carry a third quarterback. Just based on the nature, the amount of plays he is playing at any given time if something would happen to this throwing hand, then all of a sudden you are really down to your starting quarterback. So we'll have a third quarterback that will be up each game."

Last edited:
That could change, of course, but with all of the smoke that came from the Pro Bowl and recent articles suggesting he is eventually headed to the MNF broadcast booth, it's really not that much of a surprise that he's anticipating 2020 being the last ride.

Sure. But seeing it as a direct quote from Payton is newsworthy, IMO.

It was reported that Drew said at the pro bowl that he would retire, but then changed his mind. This will more than likely be Drew's final season... to me what Payton said was no surprise.

What stood out to me is that Taysom's role won't change, but Payton said last week that Taysom was the #2. You don't really put your backup out there in Taysom's role in fear of injury... so it'll interesting to see what we do for that #3 QB.

Such a crazy time to be a Saints fan.

Drew is franchise QB that no one thought we would ever have. Not only is the best QB in Saints history, but he is one of the best in the history of football. We are so lucky to have him and to have had the success we have enjoyed.

Yet, part of me is intrigued by what the future will be after him. It's a really weird feeling. I'm not trying to throw him out of the door or anything but it's going to be really interesting where we go from here

QB a NEED..... If Taysom is truly the successor, I'm expecting a 4th or 5th round QB prospect or a cheap vet QB . I'd like to develop a draft pick personally. A third stringer has a very minimal chance of playing so let's develop one.
Anthony Gordon in the 4th or 5th round...that is all. :)

So our options at QB are still wide open. We could move up and draft a semi-franchise QB, draft a low floor QB in late rounds, of sign a scrub veteran FA. I honestly can't guess which way old poker face will go.

Well if this will be Drew’s last year I’m glad he is telling coach, so he can prepare for that being the case. But he can always change his mind.

Good cause Taysom offers us more in his current role. I'm not sure if I ever want him in a different role actually. Having to carry an extra QB is worth it IMO.

I’m warming up to Jameis and hope he stays unsigned. I hope we at least bring him in for a workout. I had him right with Teddy in my free agent QB rankings. It’s just Teddy’s value is at an all time high and Jameis’ is really low. If he was in this draft Jameis would probably be right up there with the top 2 guys and ahead of Herbert. He’s probably looking for a spot where he can fight for a starting job, but any team with no QB is either drafting one early this year or tanking for Lawrence.

We definitely need another capable veteran QB on the roster. Scary thought if something happens to Drew, somebody really need to step up whether its Taysom or ???. A rookie QB probably wont get enough reps to be effective. I'm hoping Taysom turn out to be the real deal so we could really open the play book with deep passes to loosen up the defenses.

It was reported that Drew said at the pro bowl that he would retire, but then changed his mind. This will more than likely be Drew's final season... to me what Payton said was no surprise.

What stood out to me is that Taysom's role won't change, but Payton said last week that Taysom was the #2. You don't really put your backup out there in Taysom's role in fear of injury... so it'll interesting to see what we do for that #3 QB.

I think Taysom is the #2 while still playing his F position. If something happens he slides in as the starter, but if he gets hurt being the swiss army knife you still need a backup to Drew ready to go.

Such a crazy time to be a Saints fan.
but he is one of the best in the history of football.

The man is the GOAT and don't buy into all this silliness about rings. We lost 2 years from Goodell's crap about Bountygate.. maybe more when you count draft choices... The last 3 years have ended in flukes (and more) that have nothing to do with Drew.. Then the fluke in 2011

With any luck at all Drew and the Saints have the equivalent of 6 rings... Don't buy that Eastern establishment bull stuff... Drew is the GOAT

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom