Sean Payton On NFL Officials (1 Viewer)

Nah they really aren't. College refs can't even tell what targeting is.

I think they are perceived as better because college doesn't call PI/defensive holding nearly as much.

And that goes back to what I was saying. The rules are the problem.

I think they are perceived as better because college doesn't call PI/defensive holding nearly as much.

I think that PI being only 15 yards in college helps also. It doesn't bail out the offense as much.

I don't like the timing of this article. It seems fishy.

Didn't Payton say this kind of stuff a long time ago?

The Saints finally got a few big calls from the refs, the media won't stop talking about how Seattle was robbed, and Payton comes out talking about fixing the NFL's poor officiating?

That doesn't sound like a smart thing to comment on to the media. Unless you want the refs to go back to the way they were calling penalties against the Saints.

Maybe use technology for spotting the ball, etc and have more eyes on PI and Holding.

I think you make PI and holding reviewable. It's that simple. Teams still only get a very limited number of challenges so I don't get the resistance. And if you correctly apply the standard of review (only reverse on clear evidence that the call was wrong), then it should protect all of the interests involved.

The league says that it doesn't want to review judgment calls but they don't state a reason why. You can presume it is so that the refs aren't second-guessed but for what purpose? Not getting their feelings hurt?

In theory, the rules are set-up so that there's no such thing as judgment. There are defined rules with activities that are defined to be unallowable. So either the player committed a penalty or he didn't - the whole idea of "judgment calls" is an illusion. And even so, the whole point of any of this is to get it right. No one in their right mind would argue that the refs feelings or some notion of the integrity of the call on the field should trump getting the call right, even if it takes a second look.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom