Sean Payton Reveals Which Player Saints Wanted to Trade Up for in NFL Draft (2 Viewers)

This is hilarious because several posters called me a madman when I said that It makes more sense for a superbowl contender like the 49ers to trade into the top 10 for a cornerback or play-maker like chase or Pitts.

Yet Here we are.

In spite of whatever he says to the contrary there were multiple reports about Sewell and Mac Jones as well.

That might be the top target that they wanted but I doubt that he was the ONLY.

The whole “trying to move ahead of the Patriots to get Mac Jones” story peddled by Michael Lombardi is thoroughly debunked. But watch, people in this forum will still be asserting for years that the Saints were trying to trade up for Mac Jones. A lie makes it halfway around the world before the truth gets up and puts its pants on.

This is hilarious because several posters called me a madman when I said that It makes more sense for a superbowl contender like the 49ers to trade into the top 10 for a cornerback or play-maker like chase or Pitts.

Yet Here we are.

In spite of whatever he says to the contrary there were multiple reports about Sewell and Mac Jones as well.

1620254843351.png

I'm not surprised they targeted Surtain and Horn for a trade. They were obviously the top tier. What I'm surprised about is they didn't target Newsome or Farley. Wouldn't have to move nearly as far for them. But I'm glad they took Adebo. He was a good pick.

Yes, I heard the about the supposed trade-up to get Mac Jones. I don't know if there's any veracity to it. I said a good ways back he was going to the Pats at 15. Once in a blue moon, LoE gets it right.

I'm not surprised they targeted Surtain and Horn for a trade. They were obviously the top tier. What I'm surprised about is they didn't target Newsome or Farley.
right after the draft, one of the first things he said was that they drafted only players with clean medicals so farley was never in consideration
the curious one is Newsome - clearly they did not have a high grade on him

I'm with Sammy. I'd rather have that pick. Weird going into next year with nearly a full board of draft picks. Will it stay that way? ;)

Saints projected to receive three comp picks in 2022 NFL draft​

FORECAST

New Orleans has already locked in a 2022 third rounder following the loss of Terry Fontenot, their pro personnel director who left for the open Atlanta Falcons general manager position. Teams that lose minority candidates to executive roles with other teams receive two third-round picks in subsequent draft cycles.

So that’s in addition to the comp picks Korte projects the Saints to recoup after losing defensive linemen Trey Hendrickson and Sheldon Rankins to the Cincinnati Bengals and New York Jets, respectively. At this early stage, the Saints are expected to receive a fourth rounder for Hendrickson and a sixth rounder for Rankins.

However, that could change. Korte adds that Hendrickson is one of six players whose comp pick could upgrade to a third rounder if he logs enough playing time in New York; that seems likely after he broke out last year, quickly surpassing his career snaps percentage of 32.8% (he played 53.4% of snaps in 2020). We’ll know for sure once the NFL announces comp picks next spring.

In the meantime, here are where the Saints are slotted in the 2022 NFL draft (not including the sixth rounder forfeited for COVID-19 protocols violations last season):

• Round 1
  • Round 2
  • Round 3
  • Round 3 (compensation for Fontenot)
  • Round 4
  • Round 4 (compensation for Hendrickson)
  • Round 5
  • Round 6 (compensation for Rankins)
  • Round 7

Yep. Glad we didn’t give up our future for a cornerback, no matter how bad I wanted Horn. This interview told me two things: how much Payton really values an NFL pedigree, and that we weren’t moving up for a QB. So he must really believe in Jameis/Taysom. So why shouldn’t I? I’m excited

The whole “trying to move ahead of the Patriots to get Mac Jones” story peddled by Michael Lombardi is thoroughly debunked. But watch, people in this forum will still be asserting for years that the Saints were trying to trade up for Mac Jones. A lie makes it halfway around the world before the truth gets up and puts its pants on.

Yet Here we are.

Last edited:
Horn looks amazingly average. He played against trash qb’s. I am not sold on him. He makes some good decisions and great speed to make plays but nfl wr’s won’t drop those passes

Horn looks amazingly average. He played against trash qb’s. I am not sold on him. He makes some good decisions and great speed to make plays but nfl wr’s won’t drop those passes
He shut down some of the best WRs in college though...... can’t really help who he goes up against. He did what he was asked to do, and he did it well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom