Sean Payton: Saints and Broncos worked hard to agree on compensation for me (2 Viewers)

Pretty clear what happened here.

Loomis wouldn’t budge off the 1st and change. So Denver kept calling other candidates to try to create leverage. It didn’t work. Because they all took other jobs or saw they were getting used in the process.

Denver’s FO looks like a complete dumpster fire.
I don’t know much about the FO but it seems like Elway has really held that team back numerous times in the past. I’m interested in seeing how Payton gets along with him

Did he really say something so stupid? My gosh how much effort went into you get our first this year and second next and we get your third next season? I’m liking Payton less and less these days.

HE WAS TRYING TO WORK AN UNDER THE TABLE DEAL TO COACH THE DOLPHINS THIS PAST SEASON (2022)…

This is why the Dolphins had to forfeit their #1 pick. This is not in dispute.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine when people defend CSP cuz he wanted a break.
I'm not defending him. In fact, I hope he fails. But there is also this narrative that Payton did not want to stay in NOLA because he did not want to go through a rebuild. But yet, he heads over to a team that is in major rebuild coming off a 3-14 record. For whatever reason, he wanted out of NOLA and I think the whole way this went down pretty much stinks, especially for the Saints and the city/state.

I actually have a couple of friends who are diehard Bronco fans and they are even more infuriated with their team in how the team is being managed; Russell Wilson deal, and now Sean Payton.

I'm not defending him. In fact, I hope he fails. But there is also this narrative that Payton did not want to stay in NOLA because he did not want to go through a rebuild. But yet, he heads over to a team that is in major rebuild coming off a 3-14 record. For whatever reason, he wanted out of NOLA and I think the whole way this went down pretty much stinks, especially for the Saints and the city/state.

I actually have a couple of friends who are diehard Bronco fans and they are even more infuriated with their team in how the team is being managed; Russell Wilson deal, and now Sean Payton.
Ok, Ill put my distain for him aside for a moment to say you have a good point.

But I would argue that as much as we all wanted to think that CSP would have every team firing their head coach to hire him and give us 3 1st rounders…

The reality was CSP wasn’t as popular as everyone thought and he may have realized that he better take a job while the taking was good.

He was paid about $10mm a year at Fox and he’ll get (probably) $20mm doing what he really wanted to do all along.

So I want to believe he tried to leave us for greener pastures but realized it wasn’t going to work that way so that’s why he was forced to take a rebuild. But if he can get Wilson playing well, it’s not really a rebuild.

As usual, I’m just giving my thoughts, not saying I’m right.

Last edited:
How hard could it have been? And I am serious in asking the question. The compensation agreed on was in the range of what many in the media and most on this forum had said was the range. For the Saints, the floor was a first-round pick. For Denver, the ceiling was with first-round picks only one. And there was a general understanding that additional draft compensation might be needed if the first-round pick was low, like Denver's pick 29.
That’s just how negotiating goes. If you agree too early, the other side assumes they gave up too much. It’s a chicken dance.

I have a cousin that is a hardcore Giants fan. When I first started watching football, he always made the comment how out of place Parcells looked in a Cowboys shirt/jacket.
It was lost on me, but I understand now.

Exactly. It's one thing to break up with a person but a different story when you see them with someone else. That was repulsive.

To me the funniest thing is we have a lot of Saints fans mad , but if you visit the Broncos forum they also have a lot of angry fans
I think most neutral fans believe we got a very good deal
Sometimes the most fair solution means neither party is happy.

Sometimes the most fair solution means neither party is happy.
That’s probably where we’re at.

You have some Saints fans who expected a Gruden haul. And you had some Broncos fans who were buying into one former Broncos WR who wrote an article saying that Denver may be able to get him by simply cutting Gayle a check, lolol.

Both sides were way off. I’d say Saints fans were closer to reality than the DENVER extreme. But not by much, haha

Pretty clear what happened here.

Loomis wouldn’t budge off the 1st and change. So Denver kept calling other candidates to try to create leverage. It didn’t work. Because they all took other jobs or saw they were getting used in the process.

Denver’s FO looks like a complete dumpster fire.
They make better trades then us. They fleeced us during the draft trades ,too

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom