Sean Payton: Saints and Broncos worked hard to agree on compensation for me (1 Viewer)

Swampy Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How hard could it have been? And I am serious in asking the question. The compensation agreed on was in the range of what many in the media and most on this forum had said was the range. For the Saints, the floor was a first-round pick. For Denver, the ceiling was with first-round picks only one. And there was a general understanding that additional draft compensation might be needed if the first-round pick was low, like Denver's pick 29.

Pretty clear what happened here.

Loomis wouldn’t budge off the 1st and change. So Denver kept calling other candidates to try to create leverage. It didn’t work. Because they all took other jobs or saw they were getting used in the process.

Denver’s FO looks like a complete dumpster fire.

Pretty clear what happened here.

Loomis wouldn’t budge off the 1st and change. So Denver kept calling other candidates to try to create leverage. It didn’t work. Because they all took other jobs or saw they were getting used in the process.

Denver’s FO looks like a complete dumpster fire.
They really are forced to double down on Russell Wilson.
If next year is more of the same, the Broncos are really gonna be trapped.

I don't believe Loomis was played. He got the Saints the draft compensation many thought he would get. The Saints were hoping for a higher first-round pick. Unfortunately, Denver's first-round pick was 29. However, the Saints could have opted for Denver's first-round pick in 2024. I was hoping the Saints could have done a tad better, like giving up in 2024 our fourth-round pick rather than our third-round pick. But this is a quibble.

It is rare for a team to give up compensation when hiring a head coach because nearly always the person hired is an assistant coach with another team, or is not coaching and not under contract.. In 2000, New England gave the Jets a first-round pick, I believe number 15, for the rights to Belichick. But keep in mind this was Belichick going to a division rival. A year or two earlier, Mike Holmgren went from Green Bay to Seattle. He had one year left on his Green Bay contract. Green Bay received a second-round pick.

Last edited:
To me the funniest thing is we have a lot of Saints fans mad , but if you visit the Broncos forum they also have a lot of angry fans
I think most neutral fans believe we got a very good deal

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom