Saints Sean Payton Says We Are NOT Resting Starters Sunday (1 Viewer)

The Saints are -9 on Bovada…..so if a person genuinely felt that we may not see starters....they'll probably wanna jump on Carolina +9.

Not even I'm reckless enough to bet on a game like this. Like betting on preseason.

Not saying I got money on it just the line seems to suggest that players won't be rested. I'm hoping for a nice opening drive and stop on D then sitting all the starters.

Vegas doesn’t know who is and isn’t resting any more than fans who follow the team closely do.

I think this “Vegas knows” thing has become a myth. Most of their lines are built on a power rating system and can shift a point here or there to attract closer to a 50% split on each side.

Vegas doesn’t know who is and isn’t resting any more than fans who follow the team closely do.

I think this “Vegas knows” thing has become a myth. Most of their lines are built on a power rating system and can shift a point here or there to attract closer to a 50% split on each side.

I'll agree that people do get too caught up in trying to out-think Vegas.

One of the best examples of this was Thanksgiving 2015. Carolina was on their undefeated run to start the season, and Romo had just come back for Dallas a few days earlier and led them to a road win over the Dolphins. Despite Dallas being 3-7 and Carolina being 10-0......Romo's mere presence caused Dallas to somehow be favored by 2 points in that matchup.

People were going nuts............"what??? Vegas CLEARLY knows SOMETHING here".

No, they really didn't, or at least not judging by the final score of this specific game. Romo did get re-injured at the tail end of the 3rd qtr.......but the Cowboys were already down 30-6 when that happened.

I actually went back and rewatched the Week 17 game from the 2009 season. Just for giggles and to see how Payton handled it back then.

On Defense: Sedrick Ellis, Jon Vilma, Scott Shanle, and Darren Sharper sat out and didn't play. All starters.

On Offense: Drew Brees, Dave Thomas, Jeremey Shockey, and Pierre Thomas starters that sat, and didn't play.

Whole starting O-line played the first half, Second half is when Payton put in some of the 2nd string OL. Starting receivers Colston, Henderson, and Meachem. Reggie Bush was active and returned punts and got some rushes in, Mike Bell the 3rd running back started. Brees dressed but didn't play and looked cold and bored on the sidelines.

Fujita, and Will Smith started and played into the 2nd quarter. Charles Grant started and actually Injured his arm in the 2nd quarter, was Out for the entire playoffs.

For Carolina ironically they were also starting a backup at Quarterback as well. Matt Moore because the starter Delhomme had a broken finger. Wide Receiver Steve Smith, and Runningback DeAngelo Hall were out with injuries.

Game was pretty uninteresting Jonathan Stewart busted a big TD run on the first drive back-up Linebackers over pursued and were out of their gaps. Payton stayed pretty conservative on Offense running the ball often, Brunell didn't look that effective, inaccurate on a lot of throws. Anthony Hargrave appeared to knock the ball out of Matt Moore's hand early on and recover for a Touchdown in their Endzone but the refs overturned the play saying Moore was down by contact before the ball came out. Moore led the Panthers down the field in a 2 min drill and hit Dwayne Jarrett in the endzone for a TD right before the half ended; Courtney Roby then fumbled the ball and the ensuing kickoff; allowing the Panthers to get another Field goal in.

2nd half wasn't too interesting Saints played mainly not to get hurt, Panthers sat on their lead. On OL they left Bushrod, and Nicks in, Meachem fumbled after catching a slant. Saints scored a TD on a 1 yard run by Lynell Hamilton.

I actually went back and rewatched the Week 17 game from the 2009 season. Just for giggles and to see how Payton handled it back then.

On Defense: Sedrick Ellis, Jon Vilma, Scott Shanle, and Darren Sharper sat out and didn't play. All starters.

On Offense: Drew Brees, Dave Thomas, Jeremey Shockey, and Pierre Thomas starters that sat, and didn't play.

Whole starting O-line played the first half, Second half is when Payton put in some of the 2nd string OL.

That’s about how I’d expect this one. No Brees, Kamara, Thomas, Armstead, Unger, Bushrod, Jordan and either Rankins or Lattimore. Have some others active, but only to play in an emergency (Davis, maybe 1-2 more).

If CSP said he was going to rest up, the line wouldnt have opened at -10 that is for sure. Most lines were out except the ones that had the option of resting players which was pretty much The Saints and the girls I think.. based on the app I was looking at. But sure don't bite the cheese ?

Yeah, I remember in 2010 when the Saints"just called it in" and didn't play the game fullout. Some starters got hurt and couldn't play in the playoff game, and the Saints lost the game They also lost the playoff game. That isn't the only reason they lost but it didn't help.

That's not what happened. We were still in contention for the 1 seed and so we tried to win the game and several players got hurt. That's what hurt us for our game against Seattle.

What’s our unique advantage?

We have guaranteed home field advantage going into the final game of the season.

We can literally field a team of flounders and it won’t matter.

So someone please explain: why risk injury to your best players?

What’s our unique advantage?

We have guaranteed home field advantage going into the final game of the season.

We can literally field a team of flounders and it won’t matter.

So someone please explain: why risk injury to your best players?
We have also seen teams rest their starters and not play for 3 weeks and come out really rusty.

It's not a clear cut decision.

I'm still sitting Armstead.
It wouldn't surprise me if Armstead did not play the rest of the year. I don't think you need to worry about him playing this Sunday.

Payton may be buttering Goodell's bread. Ginger is in it to sell tickets and make exciting TV games, so he gets bent when rumors fly about resting players or tanking. There could even be big fines.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom