Sean Payton: Taysom Hill to be backup quarterback (mod edit) (1 Viewer)

We are getting cam newton?

Coach does value multiplicity, so we could go with QB/ DPOY Winston or Cam can additionally serve as team fashion consultant or fumble detector for practices. His big frame would be hard to miss as it catapults furiously in the opposite direction of the aforementioned fumblerusky.

Last edited:
There's no reason that has to be true. We will have a #3 QB in the very, very unlikely both Brees and Hill get injured. The NFL changed the rules some years back to allow that 3rd QB to be active without taking an active roster spot.

I did not know that. Thats interesting. Makes sense. Yeah, then TH7 will be bout dat life

There is another possibility. Am I wrong that Taysom forced them into a 1st round tender by not agreeing to an extension before free agency? I have been wondering why? Is Payton saying this today a play to forestall Taysom entertaining an offer to play elsewhere? I'm sure that Payton said something about being confident an other team would go after him.

If I was to guess I'd bet that Taysom is holding out because he thinks at least one team is seriously interested. I don't expect a team to make their offer until the dying seconds to avoid the potential for a bidding war should there be two interested teams. But what do I know.

Seems to me they will bring in a veteran backup and wait to draft a prospect next year when they should have some more draft capital via comp picks to move up. Looks to me like we are all in on another SB run this year with Drew back and will dedicate picks to that purpose rather than on developing a QB prospect or trading our starting 22 for Joe Burrow (as much fun as that was to dream about).

Nice, he deserved it...?
I seriously think that he has the potential to be good as a QB but we didn’t really see him that much to evaluate him correctly.

And thanks god, he will still be use for the tricks play because that’s where he’s the most efficient!

Seems to me they will bring in a veteran backup and wait to draft a prospect next year when they should have some more draft capital via comp picks to move up. Looks to me like we are all in on another SB run this year with Drew back and will dedicate picks to that purpose rather than on developing a QB prospect or trading our starting 22 for Joe Burrow (as much fun as that was to dream about).

I dunno about bringing in a veteran. Now would be the perfect time to draft a QB that could learn from Brees and then eventually compete with or back up Hill. Plus you get a year to evaluate them before deciding if you need to trade up for a QB next year.

I said that in a couple of threads already talking about backup QB. Payton had more or less hinted at it in a couple of things he said months ago. I don't think too much necessarily has to change. I think we will see all his plays on offense still fly. The only thing I don't see happening is special teams but who knows. And it of course has it challenges. How do you get him prepared by taking snaps as the backup in practice as well as all his other roles. And how do you have the third guy ready if he is banged up. I think the answer is, you don't. If he gets banged up and Drew has to come out then I think you are in trouble. But only for that one game maybe.

I'm not convinced. I still believe we bring in a reliable veteran to fill the void if Brees goes down. We will have a QB2A AND QB2B.

Going to be a crazy year at the QB position. Is this the year TH has more snaps at QB than Drew? I am not a big fan of running TH in at QB on situational downs. It lets the defense sell out to focus on Hill.

Well, you must be assuming we will land a sold qb for third string. Other than that, you dont put you backup qb at Te
I am assuming that Sean Payton would not let his talent be wasted either. Why would his role be any different just because of a QB2 label?

I said that in a couple of threads already talking about backup QB. Payton had more or less hinted at it in a couple of things he said months ago. I don't think too much necessarily has to change. I think we will see all his plays on offense still fly. The only thing I don't see happening is special teams but who knows. And it of course has it challenges. How do you get him prepared by taking snaps as the backup in practice as well as all his other roles. And how do you have the third guy ready if he is banged up. I think the answer is, you don't. If he gets banged up and Drew has to come out then I think you are in trouble. But only for that one game maybe.
Could be if Sean likes one in the middle of the draft. Might take a flier if nobody else is a value at the time. I still think Drew's shoes are too big to fill with anyone except a prospect at the top of the draft, and even then it is a gamble.

Could be if Sean likes one in the middle of the draft. Might take a flier if nobody else is a value at the time. I still think Drew's shoes are too big to fill with anyone except a prospect at the top of the draft, and even then it is a gamble.

that would not surprise me at all. Even if Taysom ends up being the answer long term its always good to have a youngster in training, especially for a guy like Sean. If you can't keep him you can always get something decent for one who has been developed well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom