Sean Payton to be guest analyst on NFLN (1 Viewer)

BlackNGoldblood

Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It will be interesting, but he won't be nearly as candid or critical to any players or coaches because he himself is still in the league.

keefresh2

on my own ignore list
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He was on Point After, & I caught the very end. He was going through some playoff matchups with Baldinger, who he was really clicking with. SP looked intelligent but was giving a lot of vanilla-ish answers. He definitely looked comfortable in front of the camera though, and I could see him doing a lot of this in the distant future.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After watching it, I believe Payton knows what needs fixing, and will do his best to address those concerns. I can't wait for next season even more now!!

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't remember the words unfortunately, but the way he talked about the defense leads me to believe that he understands what our problems are, and that he will work to fix them. I was hoping someone would've youtubed it already and posted it. I accidently deleted it from my DVR. It's a habit once I finish watching something. I'm also hoping that the point after tomorrow is a repeat and not a new one.

bearsfanforever

Very Banned
Reaction score
I don't remember the words unfortunately, but the way he talked about the defense leads me to believe that he understands what our problems are, and that he will work to fix them. I was hoping someone would've youtubed it already and posted it. I accidently deleted it from my DVR. It's a habit once I finish watching something. I'm also hoping that the point after tomorrow is a repeat and not a new one.
First of all I am a S. Payton fan since he graduated from EIU my Alma mater. Payton is still a young coach and learning about his position. IMO, he will be a solid coach in the NFL. I'm sure he recognizes what has to be fixed on the Saints but will the Saints staff be able to successfully select defensive talent? So far, the track record is not good on the D side of the ball just like my beloved Bears selecting talent on O.

What would concern me most about Payton would be the calls he makes on the field on 4th downs. I didn't watch many Saints games this year since they are limited by market. However, each game I did watch Payton made some very very poor decisions going for it on 4th down.

Payton has absolutely no confidence in your defense at all.

Wahoo

miles away
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
... I didn't watch many Saints games this year .... ...
key point

.... However, each game I did watch Payton made some very very poor decisions going for it on 4th down.

Payton has absolutely no confidence in your defense at all.
I totally disagree. He's a very aggressive coach by nature, and his play calling (including 4th down decisions) is reflected in that. I think it's much more an absolute confidence in the ability of his offense to make the plays necessary. And the players love the approach, at least from everything I've read and heard.

Sure, you can watch a game or two and cherry-pick a decision here or there that doesn't work, but making some broad generalizations rather than the entire body of work is flawed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom