Sean Payton vs. Eric Mangini (1 Viewer)

I think it's a mark of a better coach when they go and get better talent..... Payton should win this hands down because as mentioned, he didn't inherit most of this talent, he picked the players via FA and the draft, so why would he be penalized for that?

It's not Coach/GM of the Year ... it's just coach. I think player procurement is outside the realm of strictly "coaching".

It's not Coach/GM of the Year ... it's just coach. I think player procurement is outside the realm of strictly "coaching".

I don't know what they factor in, but I would imagine some credit is given to that because it's due. We had the same GM when our team was horrible......

I think that Payton had a huge part in personnel choices. There is no way Loomis could have known "payton types".

Yeah he definitely deserves credit for that from us but I just don't see how it has anything to do with how well he "coached" for the entire season.

just the way he's used Reggie should give him the nod

I think he should get the nod too for his offensive genius but I think what Mangini has done doesn't deserve to be disregarded entirely because he's working with a less talented team IMO.

Can someone please explain to me why everyone is saying that Sean Payton has to "catch up" with Mangini in the Coach of the Year honors? Did I miss something along the way? Not taking anything away from Mangini; I think he has done a remarkable job with his ball club but IMO their schedule is way easier and they finished last year with a better record than us and currently they have a worse record than us. I may just be a homer but the evidence is clearly in Payton's favor. What gives?

I listen to Mike & Mike but not much else, lately they usually mention the two together, but they've never stated that I've heard that Mangini deserves it more than Payton. They and they're guests always seem to give Payton the respect he deserves, as well as the COY nod. Only in the past couple weeks have they started talking seriously about Mangini. Rightfully so too, he's doing great.

We have former pro-bowlers at QB, RB, WR, and a Heisman Trophy winner. We're not exactly hurting on talent.

Mikeeeee

Bottom line, if we win the division, Payton has it locked up. But after their win this week, the Mangini pick started heating up alitte bit.

The Jets, even though their schedule looks easy, have a tough road down the line and their talent can easily catch up to them the last four games.

The race will be close, but if Payton gets us a playoff spot and division crown, it's his to lose.

Edit: A win against the Cowboys Sunday will really seperate Payton from Mangini. The Cowboys are the sexy "best team in the NFC" pick right now so beating them on primetime will do Payton wonders. If we lose Sunday, and the Jets win, Mangini will probably be neck and neck with Payton down the stretch.

you can mkae a case in point for both of them..

Jets 7-5 in the AFC
Saitns 8-4 in the NFC

Jets: Pennington down with an injury
Saints: Brees - injured FA

Jets: Disappointing Defense with only one star on it (Vilma)
Saints: Disappointing D last year with really only two stars (Grant/Smith)

Jets running game.. .well the Saints have the huge edge there.

Jets home field... at least they had one last year...
Saints home field: Somewhere...

Mel Kiper on the radio this morning said that he thinks the award is Mangini's to lose.
He said...and I'm paraphrasing a bit..."The Saints are a good story, but come on, who would have thought the Jets would be in the position they're in at this point in the season?"

What a dweeb.

Mel Kiper on the radio this morning said that he thinks the award is Mangini's to lose.
He said...and I'm paraphrasing a bit..."The Saints are a good story, but come on, who would have thought the Jets would be in the position they're in at this point in the season?"

What a dweeb.

Kiper is a moron...Everybody & their brother picked the Saints dead last in the division & now we're leading it and this tool says Mangini deserves because they're in the Wildcard hunt? What kind of sense does that make?

If you think the Mangini pick is funny, what do you think of everyone saying Fisher should be in the race to?

Didn't realize 5-7 teams got recognition for coach of the year.

Mangini has done a great job up there so far, he deserves his props, but anyone who thinks he should win COTY over Payton is just downright delusional.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom