Sean Payton wasnt going to coach Saints his whole life (1 Viewer)

What everyone seems to think is that SP was the one who “quit” on the team. I feel like there was a falling out with management/ownership that neither side will ever speak on & that this ^^ Miami thing with Tom Brady had something to do with it.

After Bountygate, Vicodingate & several appearances in the playoffs but not ever making it back to the SB with Drew Brees, culminating with this crap with Miami, it’s very plausible that leadership suggested he go or maybe mutual acknowledgment that he needed to find something else to do.

Let’s be honest, Payton was a damn good coach but he also became very predictable and unable to win when it mattered most in the last few years with Drew when we could all tell Drew was done. We had a limited offense because of his noodle arm but kept trying to justify decisions bc Drew was one of the best to ever do it; while refusing to acknowledge his decline was a factor in our inability to open up the playbook & potentially win more games.

I know that’s an over-simplification of things but I strongly believe his quitting was not his decision alone; if at all.
Never thought of it that way, wonderful points and I’ll bet there’s some validity to it.

Never thought of it that way, wonderful points and I’ll bet there’s some validity to it.
If I’m Gayle and I have supported you for over a decade, even through all the shenanigans & let you have more authority to make decisions that your title doesn’t necessarily entitle you to, you sell the farm for ‘one last run’ (more than once) with one of the best to ever do it only to sneak around and try to leave to Miami with a different aging qb on his last leg, I’m going to ask you to leave so that my organization can get the attention it deserves and so that your stupidity and sneaking around doesn’t blow back on my team in the form of being reffed every game bc everyone thinks you’re a cheater or in loss of draft picks, fines, etc.

in the form of being reffed every game bc everyone thinks you’re a cheater or in loss of draft picks, fines, etc.
Never seen the word "reffed" before. It's a wonderful coinage that describes things like the NOLA no-call perfectly.

People need to be realistic.

This was the best outcome for us and him.

15 years with a team is literally over kill.

We had good years with Sean. HE TAUGHT this organization how to be contenders and we will be contenders again

Do not hate him
Do not hate the decision

Be thankful that he brought us a Superbowl Win..

That we are a far cry from being the Aints.

Thank you Sean Payton
Very well said, we had a great head coach and a great star QB, now they are gone life moves on.

Capital City and Saints Fan 75 pretty much nailed my perspective on this drama.

If he had honored his contract and then took a sabbatical and returned to coaching after a year it wouldn’t bug me. But he consistently flirted with other teams. It reminds me of college football coaches who try to squeeze more money into their bank every off season by talking to other schools.

The thing is the Bensons and the whole city and organization stood by Payton during very nasty scandals. Even though Bountygate was a witch hunt many teams would have fired him just to alleviate some bad press save face. Instead they took it on the chin for him and to this day most casual fans still believe the Saints are dirty. As an aside as HC Payton could have and should have told Williams to tone down his rhetoric. But whatever.

Then there is the Vicodin issue. Again many teams would let him go. But the team stuck by him. He was probably the most entrenched coach in football outside of BB in NE. He had near total power and was GM in all ways except title and doing the number crunching.

And how does he repay the team that had his back during some dark periods and rewarded him with power over the team most coaches couldn’t dream of? He looks for greener pastures. It’s disrespectful. No he is not obligated to coach here forever. But there is a right way to do things and a wrong way.

So it soured me on him and made me reassess his tenure here. Yes undoubtedly he’s the best coach we’ve ever had. Yes he brought great success and a championship. But look at those strings of lost seasons with a HOF QB. Look at the poor drafting and personnel decisions. People complaining the Saints are a dumpster fire but want Payton back need to understand he’s the arsonist.

Excited? Not really. Interested yes, especially to see him fail.
I’m more intrigued. I’m always interested how championship coaches do on their second run.
I can guarantee this. This is his last stop. If he fails, he’s retiring for good.

I’m more intrigued. I’m always interested how championship coaches do on their second run.
I can guarantee this. This is his last stop. If he fails, he’s retiring for good.
No Drew Brees. No draft picks. An aging QB. Intrigued is a better word. Other coaches who went back in without their QBs didn't fare so well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom