Sean Payton will not draft a QB in 1st round (2 Viewers)

Lots of good QBs this year. Remember that a few years ago Jackson was available in the late 1st.
Ehhhhh... Our scouting department are super stingy on giving out QB 1st round grades. Just the ramifications of drafting a QB is so much different than just getting another lineman/WR/ multi-personnel positions. You only get one QB and you have to invest big years or instantly throw him out.

Payton blasted the 2018 draft and said there wasn't a single QB he'd give a 1st round grade.

“I don’t see [Andrew] Luck in this draft, and I don’t see Carson Wentz, who I liked a lot coming into the draft,” Saints coach Sean Payton said Saturday. He’s in the market for a passer. “I’d feel a little bit uneasy if I were at the top of this draft and I decided I had to have a quarterback. The pressure to get a quarterback is so great in this league, I get that. But we can’t create ’em. I wouldn’t be surprised if only one of these guys is left standing in four or five years, and if so, I’d guess it would be Sam Darnold.”

And if you're wondering what Payton looks at in a prospect..

This week, Payton remembered Mahomes’ pre-draft workout as particularly impressive.

“I felt like it was the best quarterback I had ever seen on tape in a workout,” Payton said, via Sam McDowell of the Kansas City Star. “I had done a lot of them to that point. You name it. I just thought he had that rare ability, and there was going to be a ton of upside. Man, he was real good in the meeting room. He processed the information extremely [well] — all those things you can’t see on video. That was just my instincts. I didn’t know for sure.

Ehhhhh... Our scouting department are super stingy on giving out QB 1st round grades. Just the ramifications of drafting a QB is so much different than just getting another lineman/WR/ multi-personnel positions. You only get one QB and you have to invest big years or instantly throw him out.

Payton blasted the 2018 draft and said there wasn't a single QB he'd give a 1st round grade.

“I don’t see [Andrew] Luck in this draft, and I don’t see Carson Wentz, who I liked a lot coming into the draft,” Saints coach Sean Payton said Saturday. He’s in the market for a passer. “I’d feel a little bit uneasy if I were at the top of this draft and I decided I had to have a quarterback. The pressure to get a quarterback is so great in this league, I get that. But we can’t create ’em. I wouldn’t be surprised if only one of these guys is left standing in four or five years, and if so, I’d guess it would be Sam Darnold.”

And if what you're wonder what looks at in a prospect...

This week, Payton remembered Mahomes’ pre-draft workout as particularly impressive.

“I felt like it was the best quarterback I had ever seen on tape in a workout,” Payton said, via Sam McDowell of the Kansas City Star. “I had done a lot of them to that point. You name it. I just thought he had that rare ability, and there was going to be a ton of upside. Man, he was real good in the meeting room. He processed the information extremely [well] — all those things you can’t see on video. That was just my instincts. I didn’t know for sure.

I don’t think we have enough info to know how many 1st round draft grades they give to QBs. I do remember the rumors that Payton really liked Baker in 2018 though.

And if you're wondering what Payton looks at in a prospect..

It’s one thing when you have Drew Brees at QB. Yeah...you’d need an Andrew Luck or Patrick Mahomes level QB prospect to invest a 1st round pick. We don’t have a Drew Brees...we have Taysom Hill.

OP you should label the title “opinion”. Anyone who clicks on this link assumes there is a quote from Sean Payton but there’s not.

It’s one thing when you have Drew Brees at QB. Yeah...you’d need an Andrew Luck or Patrick Mahomes level QB prospect to invest a 1st round pick. We don’t have a Drew Brees...we have Taysom Hill.
Going from Taysom Hill and to a Mitch Trubiskey is going to do what? Gotta trust the scouts and grades. All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up for this year unless we trade up.

It irritates me so much that folks feel the need to comment on threads they don’t think should be started-because everyone ‘must focus on the next game’. Nobody on here is playing Sunday.

As for the OP, I don’t believe Sean will draft one mainly because of where they’ll be picking. If Jameis doesn’t come back I think Taysom’s age should make them want to get a young guy to bring along behind him.

Drafting a QB in the first round doesn't mean he doesn't like Taysom (or whoever). If we draft a QB in the first I do not expect them to play this year or even the next. It's simply another option. We don't have a sure thing on the roster so we need options. If things work out with Taysom you can ship him, if not you have a cheap option developing.

Unless someone in draft is on same level as Patrick Mahomes, it’s not happening. Payton love Taysom Hill and Jameis. We may not like it but he will roll with them. Which lead me to believe that Payton will go back to his old habits that fans knocked him for. I think Payton will pull a 2007 draft move. After 2006 season, when everyone was thinking defense, Payton shock all and drafted Meachem, 1st rd. This draft, I think he will try to move up and draft Devonta Smith. Me personally, I would like them to focus on Defense and OL.

RE: "Sean Payton will not draft a QB in 1st round"

YES. HE. WILL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom