Sean Payton will not draft a QB in 1st round (1 Viewer)

This team keeps on rolling with J. Winston at QB and Hill playing his jack of all trades role, but I do think Payton picks up a QB prospect in the later rounds. Not every franchise or starting QB was or will be a top 10 pick. Payton will have his eye out for another Tony Romo type player.

This team keeps on rolling with J. Winston at QB and Hill playing his jack of all trades role, but I do think Payton picks up a QB prospect in the later rounds. Not every franchise or starting QB was or will be a top 10 pick. Payton will have his eye out for another Tony Romo type player.

I almost think we shouldn’t even waste a late round pick on a quarterback. First off we don’t have any in picks rounds 5-7. So we’d have to trade a pick next year to get one. But really most starting quarterbacks are first round picks. Unless you win the lottery with a Russell Wilson in the 3rd round or Dak Prescott in the 4th. Cousins was a 4th. Minshew was a 5th and he’s about to be replaced by a 1st. Brees, Carr, Lock, Jimmy G 2nd rounders.

So apart from Brady who was a 6th round pick over 20 years ago, once minshew is replaced the highest drafted starting qb is the 4th round Dak 5 years ago and cousins 9 years ago. I’m counting 23 of 32 starting quarterbacks drafted in the 1st round. And that number will be higher after April.

Drafting a QB in the first round doesn't mean he doesn't like Taysom (or whoever). If we draft a QB in the first I do not expect them to play this year or even the next. It's simply another option. We don't have a sure thing on the roster so we need options.

with the way the roster will look next year due to salary cap problems... we won´t be able to pick a project that will not play in his first year or even the second.

with the way the roster will look next year due to salary cap problems... we won´t be able to pick a project that will not play in his first year or even the second.

I don't think it will be bad. Might lose some depth but the top end will still be here. I'm guessing Hendrickson will be the only big loss. Maybe Williams if the price is high.

Unless someone in draft is on same level as Patrick Mahomes, it’s not happening. Payton love Taysom Hill and Jameis. We may not like it but he will roll with them. Which lead me to believe that Payton will go back to his old habits that fans knocked him for. I think Payton will pull a 2007 draft move. After 2006 season, when everyone was thinking defense, Payton shock all and drafted Meachem, 1st rd. This draft, I think he will try to move up and draft Devonta Smith. Me personally, I would like them to focus on Defense and OL.
I know he's technically under contract, but 32 year old Matt Stafford is my first choice if the Lions decide to move on. He's from the Dallas-area. His best friend is Matt Ryan. His home is in Georgia and he is deserving of a chance to win a Superbowl. As a former 5,000 yard passer, he's certainly got more than enough arm talent to bring out the creativity in Payton.

Also, he's not going to be prone to the knucklehead stuff Winston is known for...

Not that it even matters. The Janitor already told me that the Saints are shipping Mike Thomas and their next two 1st round picks to Houston for Watson.

I hope 12 QB's, 12 WR's, and 6 RB's go off the board in round 1. That should leave excellent OL, DL, and maybe a high-value LB falling to 32.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom