Sean Payton (1 Viewer)

We have more playoff appearances with Sean Payton than winning seasons without.
And a Lombardi. He's one of the best coaches in the game.

I think he WAS one of the best coaches in the game, I think his coaching philosophy has grown stale to me...that said, he has evolved in the past. The strength of this offense is a dominant run-blocking offensive line and one back that is one of the best in the NFL and another that can pound the living daylights out of the opposing D. I hope next year he leans on this even more....

Personally I disagree with your entire premise and think our deficiencies getting exposed in the playoffs are more about the personnel and less about Payton. The fact we are as good as we are in the regular season is more about Payton, and less about personnel.

I couldn't disagree more. The last 2 years this team hasn't looked ready to play in those playoff games. Great coaches are made in the post season, I don't think anyone can deny that....I, for one, am tired of being just a good regular season team....if it is good enough for others, that is ok too....

And I'm not saying we should move on from SP....it's a non-starter, he is not going anywhere else unless he wants to....

I find it amazing that even a minority of fans are questioning Payton. We went 12-4 and won a playoff game despite having a past it QB who was badly injured, to the point he was struggling to throw the ball more than 15 yards. Not to mention missing our best receiver for most of the season and having Taysom Hill start his first NFL games at QB. Sunday’s loss was in no way down to Payton either. If Cook doesn’t fumble we win, again despite Brees struggling badly and several others hurt as well. Reality is Super Bowls are very tough to reach and if it isn’t for a combination of terrible luck and individual mistakes we’d have made at least a couple more. SP is a top 4 NFL coach, I hope he’s here until he retires and if we were able to go 12-4 this past season I’m excited to see what he can do with a QB able to throw the ball deep.

Wait times are tough? Didn’t the Saints just have like the third best record the last 4 years? What am I missing? I mean seriously.
Playoff losses against inferior teams that pressure up the middle with a QB that is not mobile and has a hurt shoulder, leg, and ribs.

When are we going to start holding him accountable? How many more years of the same thing over and over, get into the playoffs, lose in 1st or 2nd round?

Good guy but 1 superbowl appearance and win in 15 years (12 years if you subtract 2012 - bounty, 2017 - Minn missed tackle, 2018 - ref screw job) is not really good when you've had a HOF QB like Drew Brees. Also when you've had Kamara, MT, Ram, McCoy and Armstead (who all are potential HOFs) for awhile now too. What gives? Why can't he even get us back to the superbowl? He's good coach but not great b/c this is holding him and the Saints back from being great.
Can you do better than Payton? There are teams out there that would love to have Payton as head coach!!! What are you drinking?

Last edited:
I'm fine with Payton getting held to a high threshold and have no problem if/when he starts getting 'flack' from national pundits and non Saints fans calling him out for never getting some of the most talented teams to the Super Bowl*

*let me say that this is also why 2018 hurt so much because the no call affected the legacy of Brees and Payton a lot but sadly only Saints fans will ever truly care.

But you don't get rid of him lol. He's easily a top coach in this league. Andy Reid took a long time to finally get over the hump and it took him drafting potentially the most gifted QB of all time to do it and now he's about to bask in glory for a long time. Luck is pretty critical in the NFL lol. Payton is a great coach, now we just gotta wait to hopefully get much needed luck.
Did anyone in Atlanta want to run Bobby Cox off for not winning more World Series titles with the super teams he had during the 90s? Look at the Bills. 4 straight SBs and not winning one. Things happen.

SP is not going anywhere (unless he chooses to) so it really doesn't matter.

That said he shouldn't be immune from criticism, like even on a football message board of all places!!!! Yes the regular season divisional wins have been great, but anyone watching has to see that the team just doesn't look ready to play in the playoffs. You can argue the reasons (because that is kind of what this message board is all about) but I find it hard to deny that SP deserves some of the blame....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom