Sean Payton (1 Viewer)

The original post was a courageous one but it’s pretty much on the money.

Too many Saints fans are satisfied with being regular season heroes. I’ve seen multiple mentions of 49 regular season wins since 2017 in this thread and no acknowledgement of the fact that the Saints are the first team to win that many games in a four-year stretch without a single Super Bowl appearance to show for it.

The Saints keep underperforming in playoffs. They keep losing to teams that they are favoured to beat. They are 3-4 in the same span during which the team has gone 49-15 in the regular season (including a couple of games they’ve lost due to resting starters). Indeed, the Saints haven’t turned in a dominant playoff performance since the win over the Lions nine years ago. There are myriad reasons for that and not all of them are due to the head coach or coaching, especially this year, but the buck stops with him.

It doesn’t follow that questioning Payton means that one wants him replaced, but he isn’t beyond reproach either. At some point it’s reasonable to ask what the team is doing to identify and address why this keeps happening.

Frankly, when Payton was interviewed during the year and he disputed that the team had been underwhelming in playoffs, citing the no-call, the freak play in the Minnesota Miracle and just asserting we had an “off day” against the Vikings in 2019, I was very concerned that he was searching for external factors to blame. Writing each of those games off as a “bit of bad luck” is folly. We were well down on our usual output in all three.

I’m almost hoping it’s a quarterback issue at this point (it plainly wasn’t in 2017, but Drew has been pretty pedestrian since 2018 in playoff games), because if it isn’t, I’m not persuaded Payton is taking sufficient steps to identify and fix what keeps going wrong. Indeed, with all the anticipated personnel changes this coming offseason, any such capacity for self-reflection may be too late for this version of the team.

The Saints weren’t great until Payton got here. It’s ridiculous to say that he’s holding them back from greatness. His only flaw IMO is that he’s too loyal. He keeps some players/staff members around way too long.

Lack of defense the first attempts and placating a diminished QB the 4 attempts. Yeah Sean has to own his part, which is huge.

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20210120-021716.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20210120-021716.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 8
Carmichael passed up HC interviews to stay here. People have wanted him.

No my grade isn't just multiple superbowls but my grade does involve not doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same results.

I get it tho, alot of you all love records and not superbowls.

Doing the same win 12-14 games per year and get to the playoffs is the epitome of success.

I came on in Ditka's first year. It was rough for sure! I grew up a Browns fan, but they moved to Baltimore and then I met NWSaint!

When are we going to start holding him accountable? How many more years of the same thing over and over, get into the playoffs, lose in 1st or 2nd round?

Good guy but 1 superbowl appearance and win in 15 years (12 years if you subtract 2012 - bounty, 2017 - Minn missed tackle, 2018 - ref screw job) is not really good when you've had a HOF QB like Drew Brees. Also when you've had Kamara, MT, Ram, McCoy and Armstead (who all are potential HOFs) for awhile now too. What gives? Why can't he even get us back to the superbowl? He's good coach but not great b/c this is holding him and the Saints back from being great.
Are you like 15 years old? :)

Carmichael passed up HC interviews to stay here. People have wanted him.

No my grade isn't just multiple superbowls but my grade does involve not doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same results.

I get it tho, alot of you all love records and not superbowls.

We've fielded an incredibly competitive team the last several seasons, you can't ask for much more from a HC. Alot of what has held us back in recent memory is our inability to be explosive on offense. I'm not here to knock on Drew, I love everything he has done and he is still an incredibly capable QB. With that said, you can dink and dunk yourself into the playoffs, but you really need to be able to stretch the field and keep defenses honest once you get into the playoffs and the opponent quality really improves.

Now, the multiple 7-9 years while Drew was in his prime, yeah... that's on SP and ML.

When are we going to start holding him accountable? How many more years of the same thing over and over, get into the playoffs, lose in 1st or 2nd round?

Good guy but 1 superbowl appearance and win in 15 years (12 years if you subtract 2012 - bounty, 2017 - Minn missed tackle, 2018 - ref screw job) is not really good when you've had a HOF QB like Drew Brees. Also when you've had Kamara, MT, Ram, McCoy and Armstead (who all are potential HOFs) for awhile now too. What gives? Why can't he even get us back to the superbowl? He's good coach but not great b/c this is holding him and the Saints back from being great.

I think Payton gets more than his fair share of criticism. OP has proven that...

I will only say one thing.

How many owners would prefer to have Sean Payton than their current head coach?

If Payton would leave today, how many teams will be interested on higher him?

Sean will be by far the first choice in any list. There is a reason for that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom