Sean Payton's clock management (1 Viewer)

Calling a timeout between 2:01-2:07 in the 2nd or 4th quarter does not make sense, since it give the other team a chance to pass the ball and not worry about the clock haven't to stop on an incomplete pass.

Its called having faith in both your defense AND offense. Its genius IMO.

Stopping the clock at 2:05 can save you many valuable seconds. Yes, it does give the opposition's offense a SLIGHT advantage for ONE PLAY as far as flexibility in playcalling. But calling that timeout is called playing for the win. You have faith in your defense to stop them. And you have faith that your offense is good enough to score with limited time and timeouts.

I'd much rather a coach who went for it, than one who plays it safe.

Those timeouts mentioned that he called in last week's game and today's game were gutsy. I like his arrogance he shows in taking those risks and putting faith in our defense, and i realize sometimes those things will work out and sometimes they won't.

However, I absolutely despise when coaches call or attempt to call timeouts immediately before the field goal snap...

Its called having faith in both your defense AND offense. Its genius IMO.

Stopping the clock at 2:05 can save you many valuable seconds. Yes, it does give the opposition's offense a SLIGHT advantage for ONE PLAY as far as flexibility in playcalling. But calling that timeout is called playing for the win. You have faith in your defense to stop them. And you have faith that your offense is good enough to score with limited time and timeouts.

I'd much rather a coach who went for it, than one who plays it safe.

Having the ball with 1:45 left and 1 timeout is better then having the ball with 1:50 left and no timeout.

I don't question Payton's attempts to get the ball back with as much time on the clock as he can. I almost take it for granted that we'll always score right before the half...be it a FG or a TD. We're that good in those situations...because of Brees AND Payton. So if he wants the extra time, I trust him. He's right way more (way, way more) than he's wrong in that situation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom