Sean Payton's clock management (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
he is quietly andy reid esque with this. Last week the timeout at 2:01 in the 2nd was atrocious. If they had scored the next play we wasted a timeout for no reason considering the two minute warning was the next play guarenteed. Also, it gave them freedom to run anything the next play. Had we saved the timeout, they would essentially be forced to run to make us burn a time out. Today, attempting to ice buelher was awful. Had he made that we would have needed that timeout to get into fg range before overtime. Definately something he should be paying attention to and id like it if the local media could give him some heat for this.

1. Last week's timeout was just good coaching. If you allow the clock to roll down to the 2-minute warning, the Bengals run at LEAST 7 seconds off the clock for the play that they would have run before you called the timeout. That's 7 seconds less for Brees to work with when he gets the ball back. The idea is to get the ball back with the most time possible.. you can control the clock when you have the ball, you can't control it when the other team does.

2. I honestly don't remember a "freeze" timeout before Buehler's attempt nor does the play-by-play show one. Did you imagine this?

I do agree that as brilliant as Payton is, he can simply over think things and make bad decisions in the process.

You simply can't freeze the kicker there. If they miss it (and they did), then the Cowboys head coach goes for it instead.

I totally disagree. Actually I think Payton uses the clock better than anybody in the nfl.

LOL, the timeout last week was perfect. I remember Billick calling it arrogant -- not sure if he ever apologized for that after we scored.

I thought the timeout last week was good coaching.

This week, you scrore when you score. To paraphrase Herm Edwards, "You play to score the points."

Payton did try to call a timeout to ice the kicker but the referee didn't see it. FOX showed this on the replay.

I don't want to complain too much about this game, but Payton did try to call a TO but couldn't do it in time. I can't stand when coaches do this, and I'm sure glad he failed at it.

2. I honestly don't remember a "freeze" timeout before Buehler's attempt nor does the play-by-play show one. Did you imagine this?

They talked about it during the game, and even showed Payton attempt to call the timeout before the snap. He didn't get it in on time.

I thought the timeout last week was good coaching.

This week, you scrore when you score. To paraphrase Herm Edwards, "You play to score the points."

Payton did try to call a timeout to ice the kicker but the referee didn't see it. FOX showed this on the replay.

last weeks was completely indefensible. Calling a timeout at 2:01 allows the seahawks to use their whole playbook. If it gets to 2:00 and we dont burn the time out, they are significantly more likely to run the ball with the way our offense was moving the ball and either force a to or run the clock down. Furthermore, had they scored on the play following the time out, we would have essentially traded a time out for 1 second. Saving it for a failed play where the clock kept moving (either a run, completed pass that didnt result in a td/go out of bounds, or a sack) at the cost of 1 second was definately the smart thing to do.

he is quietly andy reid esque with this. Last week the timeout at 2:01 in the 2nd was atrocious. If they had scored the next play we wasted a timeout for no reason considering the two minute warning was the next play guarenteed. Also, it gave them freedom to run anything the next play. Had we saved the timeout, they would essentially be forced to run to make us burn a time out. Today, attempting to ice buelher was awful. Had he made that we would have needed that timeout to get into fg range before overtime. Definately something he should be paying attention to and id like it if the local media could give him some heat for this.
I tell you his play calling was just AWFUL..watch this BS:angryrazz:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81c6b37c/Moore-s-go-ahead-TD

Calling a timeout between 2:01-2:07 in the 2nd or 4th quarter does not make sense, since it give the other team a chance to pass the ball and not worry about the clock haven't to stop on an incomplete pass.

As far as trying to freeze the kicker, sometimes it works and sometimes it bites you in the ***. Had we gotten our time out who knows whether or not the next attempt would have been made? Marvin Lewis froze the Jets kicker going into half time. He made the first, which didn't count because of the time out and then the kicker missed the next attempt. It is a gamble. I would do it. OK, on a 59 yarder I wouldn't but I would on just about anything closer.

last weeks was completely indefensible. Calling a timeout at 2:01 allows the seahawks to use their whole playbook. If it gets to 2:00 and we dont burn the time out, they are significantly more likely to run the ball with the way our offense was moving the ball and either force a to or run the clock down. Furthermore, had they scored on the play following the time out, we would have essentially traded a time out for 1 second. Saving it for a failed play where the clock kept moving (either a run, completed pass that didnt result in a td/go out of bounds, or a sack) at the cost of 1 second was definately the smart thing to do.

Think about what you just said...how in detail you just went about what "could" happen...now imagine having to make that decision in the span of a few seconds with no time to really analyze every possibility.

Seriously, people need to realize these guys are human. He may of seen one angle and just went with it. He didn't have ten minutes to sit around and think of all the pros and cons.

1. Last week's timeout was just good coaching. If you allow the clock to roll down to the 2-minute warning, the Bengals run at LEAST 7 seconds off the clock for the play that they would have run before you called the timeout. That's 7 seconds less for Brees to work with when he gets the ball back. The idea is to get the ball back with the most time possible.. you can control the clock when you have the ball, you can't control it when the other team does.

:idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom