Sean Payton's Contract (1 Viewer)

SaintsMan209

SB This year!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sean's contract signing was just a PR move to quiet the fans down. I don't think he will be here beyond this season if we do not reach the playoffs or even a SB. The Saints traded Jimmy Graham when nobody was expecting it, they fired Randy Mueller out of nowhere, and this will be Payton and Brees last season in NOLA, barring a miracle big win.

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Sean's contract signing was just a PR move to quiet the fans down. I don't think he will be here beyond this season if we do not reach the playoffs or even a SB. The Saints traded Jimmy Graham when nobody was expecting it, they fired Randy Mueller out of nowhere, and this will be Payton and Brees last season in NOLA, barring a miracle big win.
None of those people won a SB like Payton and Brees.

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/The-Big-Lebowski-What the Fork!-Gif.gif

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BMomYIwBPSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JeffG20

Gumbo
Reaction score

a 45 million dollar PR Move?

WHAT?

crawfish2010

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The Saints have won two playoff games since the Superbowl. Two playoff games.

Don't compare Payton to Jim Mora, Haslett or Bum Phillips. Compare him to John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, Pete Carrol and Mike Tomlin.

He has to accept the blame for the terrible defense, terrible free signings and terrible draft pickts.

I didn't think he earned an extension. Additionally, he should have been on the hotseat this season.

This division isn't that tough, there isn't a New England Patriots to deal with or any other HOF QBs--the Saints should be competing for a playoff spot every season.

If the Saints don't at least make the playoffs, Payton should be fired!!!

JeffG20

Gumbo
Reaction score
The Saints have won two playoff games since the Superbowl. Two playoff games.

Don't compare Payton to Jim Mora, Haslett or Bum Phillips. Compare him to John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, Pete Carrol and Mike Tomlin.

He has to accept the blame for the terrible defense, terrible free signings and terrible draft pickts.

I didn't think he earned an extension. Additionally, he should have been on the hotseat this season.

This division isn't that tough, there isn't a New England Patriots to deal with or any other HOF QBs--the Saints should be competing for a playoff spot every season.

If the Saints don't at least make the playoffs, Payton should be fired!!!

Who are you replacing him with? Some hotshot coordinator or College coach thats more likely to get us 3 wins for the foreseeable future? You dont give a guy an extension like that and then fire him.

Has Payton under performed the last few years? perhaps. But good head coaches are not easy to find.

I dont know many teams that can make it to 7 wins with historically bad defenses. keep a little perspective.

crawfish2010

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Who are you replacing him with? Some hotshot coordinator or College coach thats more likely to get us 3 wins for the foreseeable future? You dont give a guy an extension like that and then fire him.

Has Payton under performed the last few years? perhaps. But good head coaches are not easy to find.

I dont know many teams that can make it to 7 wins with historically bad defenses. keep a little perspective.
So you're saying Payton is untouchable right?
The NFL is a business and it's next man up--everybody is replacable.

Payton is the General. If he's going to take credit for the Offense he has to take blame for the failures of the defense. The only thing that matters is Wins and Losses.

How long can he live off of that Superbowl. Plenty of Superbow winning coaches have been fired and replaced. You can't be afraid to make changes.
Brian Billick won a Super and was fired 7 seasons later. Ohh yeah... they replaced him with John Harbaugh, who has been pretty succesful.

What if the Saints go 3-13. Should he be fired. I feel the same way about Les Miles too.

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The season is a week and a half from starting and calling for the coach to be fired.
C'mon man!

JeffG20

Gumbo
Reaction score
So you're saying Payton is untouchable right?
The NFL is a business and it's next man up--everybody is replacable.

Payton is the General. If he's going to take credit for the Offense he has to take blame for the failures of the defense. The only thing that matters is Wins and Losses.

How long can he live off of that Superbowl. Plenty of Superbow winning coaches have been fired and replaced. You can't be afraid to make changes.
Brian Billick won a Super and was fired 7 seasons later. Ohh yeah... they replaced him with John Harbaugh, who has been pretty succesful.

What if the Saints go 3-13. Should he be fired. I feel the same way about Les Miles too.

It's not that I disagree with your point that everyone is replaceable...because to a certain extent you're right. However, you are asking Benson to eat the 45 million extension. I dont care how much money he has, he is not throwing that money away.

It's not so much about living off a superbowl as giving the guy a real chance to succeed. The guy has more or less turned the whole roster over the last few years. You have to expect a little downtime. Even then, His downtime is still better than many of the seasons we have had as a franchise lol.

If Sean goes 3-13 with a HOF QB than you may have a point. But nothing in his tenure here suggest that will happen.

Also, John Harbaugh has had great success where he is at. So why would he leave a situation he clearly likes?

No one ever said rebuilding was going to be quick and easy. But lets give the guy a few years to get it together. a couple 7-9 seasons is not what i would call a reason to blow it up. Remember, we are not New England or Dallas or Pittsburgh. Benson is loyal (maybe to a fault) so I fully expect him to let Sean right the ship.

JeffG20

Gumbo
Reaction score
Also, are you ready to move on from Drew. Because if we fire him after giving him an extension thats exactly what will happen. He will not re-sign.

You know how bad that will look to guys potentially coming here in the future?

"I was going to take the Saints job, but they fired a guy after giving him an extension. why would't they do that to me?"

It's a bad look

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sean Payton: I get caught up in the game and forget about the mask Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton on the late Gale Sayers: 'He was so explosive and dynamic' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
After fine, Sean Payton admits he needs 'to be more diligent' with face covering during games Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints, Sean Payton reportedly fined $350K total for failure to wear face coverings on sideline Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL fines Jon Gruden, Sean Payton for not wearing masks Monday night Saints RSS News Feeds 0
This is How Sean Payton's Teams Start - Unexplainable No Show Losses- In Great Seasons Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
Sean Payton: Saints’ offense is “average at best” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Postgame on Saints Loss to Raiders in Week 2 | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
How Sean Payton's career was shaped by mentors Jon Gruden, Bill Parcells Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No sleep, all football: How Sean Payton got his foot in the NFL door thanks to Jon Gruden Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Talks Offensive Strategy, Week 2 prep | Saints at Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
ndcc Saints Nick Wright torches Sean Payton in this vid (...calls him a jerk) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 68
Andrus Sean Payton Postgame Interview after Saints Win vs. Buccaneers | Week 1 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Well we will find out today what sean payto is as a hrad coacu Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47
I know why Coach Payton has lost his play calling mojo... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Payton accepts blame for not wearing mask on sidelines, addresses Saints issues ahead of Packers test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
cue180 Payton delayed trip home in order to review game film Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 58
Source: Gruden, Payton fined for mask negligence Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saintsphere Payton and Gruden fined $100k for not wearing masks; organizations fined $250k Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 42
'It was ugly.' Here's what Brees, Payton, Kamara had to say after Saints' loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Payton post game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
Payton encouraged by Ruiz progress, Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Payton hasn't ruled out MT13 against the Raiders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 46
Payton refuses comment on Thomas injury, cites strength of special teams Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saintsphere Payton on Davenport Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 30
Analysis What would you whisper in Payton's ear after week 1 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 70
Payton: “That was as bad of a game as I’ve had as a playcaller.” Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 102
A look at the details of Alvin Kamara's 5-year, $75 million contract Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Stalwart385 Kamara's Contract Details Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Saints Demario Davis almost retired in 2016. Now he's on his 2nd contract in New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Watch: On Drew Brees' day, Demario Davis' contract, Jenkins' pick-six, more as Saints beat Bucs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Alvin Kamara's big week — 2 touchdowns, a new contract and a Saints win: 'I'm thankful' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Demario Davis Talks Contract Extension after Week 1 Win vs. Buccaneers | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
Saints sign linebacker Demario Davis to three-year contract extension Saints RSS News Feeds 0