Sean Payton's Media Day Speech and the Fake Crisis he used to motivate the team to win the SuperBowl (1 Viewer)

I was one who was happy just being in the Super Bowl. After we won it I felt as if I had reach the highest point my life could ever have reached and at the age of 24 I was prepared to die.
its just not fair,for us old timers:hihi: i myself thought BRESSUS was coming that night after the SB.:ezbill:

I was one who was happy just being in the Super Bowl. After we won it I felt as if I had reach the highest point my life could ever have reached and at the age of 24 I was prepared to die.

this is exactly how i felt as i sat in the cajun cabin on bourbon street watching the *expletive* place erupt. i had been on my one bar stool over 11 hours to keep my spot. i drank atleast a case and ate atleast 6 orders of gator bites just to pass the time.

my mother(60) always said she wanted them to win it just one time before she died...now maybe they will win it 4 or 5 more times for her

this is exactly how i felt as i sat in the cajun cabin on bourbon street watching the *expletive* place erupt. i had been on my one bar stool over 11 hours to keep my spot. i drank atleast a case and ate atleast 6 orders of gator bites just to pass the time.

my mother(60) always said she wanted them to win it just one time before she died...now maybe they will win it 4 or 5 more times for her

So your Mom is still alive? If so, that's awesome that she's able to finally enjoy the big win!

I've only been a fan for 17 years now, but I get real satisfaction knowing that the older fans that have been there since the beginning are finally being rewarded for their preserverance.

nola.com said:
"Payton said the players were silent in the locker room by that point. When he finished, he said quarterback Drew Brees followed up by calling a players-only meeting so he could give his own motivational speech. Then they finally went in for interviews."

In the players only meeting, Drew Brees waited until all the coaches and assistants were gone and then he said...

"Alright it was 14! Who called 14 on the number of times coach would say *****? Hey, Vilma you owe me on that Parcells side bet! I told you he would bring up Tuna."

Seriously, yet another reason why Brees is the man. I can't imagine what he, Sharper, and some of the other vets said in the players only meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:

hahaha same here dude, same here :worthy::smilielol:

now I hope Drew's book talks about the speech he gave to finish the story!
Drew's a great motivator, but he's no Paul Harvey. (or was I the only one that thought "and now you know.... the rest of the story"?). Then again, Paul Harvey is no Breesus.

I have to be honest, before the actual game i was telling myself "i'm just happy we're here" because I was afraid of losing it and having my dreams crushed. As soon as it started I wanted to win so bad but I was ready to accept just getting there.

I'm so happy the team and our coaches were not ready to accept that. They wanted that game more than anything. Like sean payton said (paraphrasing) "it's great to have the better team and still be the underdog in the superbowl"

Payton understands the fine line between pushing, antagonizing and lighting a fire without pushing so hard you lose the locker room. He seems to be one of those bosses you love to work for. The type of guy that likes to have a good time but not until all the hard work complete and the job is done. Great Read. <o>:p></o>:p>

Yes, I have had a few teachers and a boss like this. They are tough, aggravating as hell some times, and sometimes make you want to scream, but for some reason you have the utmost respect in them and they are able to get 110% out of you when no one else can. Amazing.

Hell yes I was just happy they were there and I'll be just as happy when they go again and again and again...

From my understanding of the article, it didn't matter whether or not the team truly was "just happy to be there." SP used the that scenario as leverage to prove a point. If they were going to beat the Colts, they had to be focused and give 100% effort the whole week. The Colts had been there before, so they weren't "just happy to be there." The Colts were there to take care of business. Coach knew that about the Colts and wanted to make sure our boys were going to put in the same kind of effort. Five guys being late just helped his "fake crisis" story. In a sense, it was almost a hypothetical situation. But he had some ground to stand on with the tardiness.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom