Sean Payton's Media Day Speech and the Fake Crisis he used to motivate the team to win the SuperBowl (1 Viewer)

SebaSaint

Indonesian Coon***
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"'You guys,'" I said, starting softly. "'You guys remind me of a team that's just happy to be here. ... There's a lot of things I don't do well. But I have very good intuition. It'd gotten me to this point in my career. Part of that is developed. Part of it's innate. But I can, and I do, pay attention. And I have a good sense of what is going on here. ... My intuition tells me you guys are in for a rude awakening this coming weekend. I can smell an *** kickin' on the way. I can smell a team that looks like they're just happy to be in the Super Bowl. You guys reek of that team.'"

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/05/new_orleans_saints_coach_sean_79.html

I felt like that too to be honest. They were waaaay too happy hoisting that NFC Championship trophy. I'm very happy that Payton picked up on it and did something about it. Just yet another data point on why he's such a great coach.

I was reading quickly, and I read it as pure Vicodin...lol

"Bill's message wasn't something he dreamed up alone," Payton wrote. "It dates back decades before him. It sounds to me like pure Vince Lombardi, but it probably goes back even further than that.

I felt like that too to be honest. They were waaaay too happy hoisting that NFC Championship trophy. I'm very happy that Payton picked up on it and did something about it. Just yet another data point on why he's such a great coach.

I don't agree with that. I take this as just one more way to get to the team. Get them even more ready. The team knew what they wanted from the beginning, I don't think they were happy to be there. Tired of these cliche's

wow, incredible story. yeah, I know I felt that sense of relief.. "Hey the Saints are in the Super Bowl" Not sure what that was.. 30+ years of being a Saints fan.. I don't know. The whole thing is a blur.

Goosebumps, man. Rita and Mickey: lock this guy up!

I think a lot of people felt like that... at least in the back of their minds. I know I did.

The thing I like about Sean Payton is that he doesn't ever seem to put his head in the sand. There's an issue, he calls it ou and deals with it. Players respond well to a no BS attitude from their head coach.

I was totally feeling that way...I know I'm not a player, but for the two weeks leading up to the game, I was on cloud 9 because we had reached the promised land...winning it wasn't even a concern at that point, for me winning it was just gonna be lagniappe.

Glad Payton knew how to handle that same sentimentality in his players.

I love reading this stuff, too, but they always do this when books come out and I hate that. You read all the good stuff by the time we're able to purchase the book for ourselves!

Anyway, I can see anyone having the feeling that they were "just happy to be there", but personally I felt they were still hungry and I wasn't worried about it. BUT I think that was obviously the right thing for SP to have said to the team. He's right, he does have great intuition.

Oh, by the way, I think our team still feels hungry for more. I know most of the media is sure they're ready to rest on their laurels but SP has done too much to prepare them mentally. Last year, they smelled greatness. This year, they smell dynasty and it's gonna be stinking up the joint.

I was one who was happy just being in the Super Bowl. After we won it I felt as if I had reach the highest point my life could ever have reached and at the age of 24 I was prepared to die.

Payton understands the fine line between pushing, antagonizing and lighting a fire without pushing so hard you lose the locker room. He seems to be one of those bosses you love to work for. The type of guy that likes to have a good time but not until all the hard work complete and the job is done. Great Read. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

This guy is a got damn genius. There are plenty of football people who know X's and O's, but the ability to motivate your players and keep them focused in the way that he does is one of those intangibles that are hard to come by.

I still dont understand why fans were so hesitant to accept Sean Payton as head coach. What did he do previously that in any way suggested he couldnt be successful?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom