Sean Payton's system requires the tackles to play more like guards! True or Not? (1 Viewer)

The only sign that we value guards is signing Grubbs to replace Nicks other than that we certainly weren't targeting top of the line Guard play. Both Nicks and Evans were basically later round picks that turned into elite players that no one expected, and of course your going to try to maintain elite players on your roster. It's the blocking scheme just as much as it is personnel.

If we value keeping the middle of the line so clean then why have Faine, Goodwin, Krutches and now DLP man the center position without retaining one of them? In fact, the only starter we've ever re-signed at OG or C is Jahri Evans (not including restricted free agents).

On top of that I can only think of two centers or guards we've drafted under Payton with Andy Alleman and Matt Tennant. Both Evans and Nicks were OT's. Evans was tried at OT before he was ever moved to OG, I watched it happen in training camp. I'm not sure about Nicks but thought when we drafted him he may become our future ROT.

After watching our last left tackles handle the outside for breeze it is easy to understand that our tackles only have to block the inside lanes and drive the defensive guys back deep away from breeze. Breeze does not seem to like to be forced outside of the pocket in most cases but would rather step into the pocket where he can get rid of the ball faster. So our tackles do not play like guards. They just do not have to be top fleet tackles to succeed in our system.

Oddly enough when tackles come out of college that are not thought to be good enough to play tackle in the NFL level they are basically said they would or should be considered a guard at the next level. I do not think I have heard of guards being said that they should be playing tackle at the next level.

Everything you say in your post is true.....however, your conclusion is not. The Saints tackles do play like guards.....they seal the inside, just as guards do, but they don't care much sealing the outside.....like tackles do! That's why pass rushers regularly overrun plays, when they take the outside route, just to see Brees step up, and avoid the pressure.

When tackles come out of college, they are required to play like tackles in the NFL.....most of them have problems adjusting to the speed, and technique....but that's not the case with the Saints scheme, which is more oriented to seal the inside....just as guards do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom