Sean Payton's system requires the tackles to play more like guards! True or Not? (1 Viewer)

The Saints tackles play nothing close to guards.

Exactly. They are completely different positions requiring completely different skill sets. There is a reason that tackles make more than guards. The guy that wrote this is clueless, especially about this team. Most writers are. I remember hearing national commentators talking about how good our linebackers were 5 years after the Dome Patrol when we couldn't get a decent linebacker no matter what we did.

After watching our last left tackles handle the outside for breeze it is easy to understand that our tackles only have to block the inside lanes and drive the defensive guys back deep away from breeze. Breeze does not seem to like to be forced outside of the pocket in most cases but would rather step into the pocket where he can get rid of the ball faster. So our tackles do not play like guards. They just do not have to be top fleet tackles to succeed in our system.

Oddly enough when tackles come out of college that are not thought to be good enough to play tackle in the NFL level they are basically said they would or should be considered a guard at the next level. I do not think I have heard of guards being said that they should be playing tackle at the next level.

I remember reading that on the bleacher report app a few days ago. Definitely left me scratching my head wondering if we should draft a guard at 15 and put him at tackle....LOL

After watching our last left tackles handle the outside for breeze it is easy to understand that our tackles only have to block the inside lanes and drive the defensive guys back deep away from breeze. Breeze does not seem to like to be forced outside of the pocket in most cases but would rather step into the pocket where he can get rid of the ball faster. So our tackles do not play like guards. They just do not have to be top fleet tackles to succeed in our system.

Oddly enough when tackles come out of college that are not thought to be good enough to play tackle in the NFL level they are basically said they would or should be considered a guard at the next level. I do not think I have heard of guards being said that they should be playing tackle at the next level.
Who is this "Breeze" you keep referring to?

not true.

I've heard numerous times that we focus our money on offensive guard play because Brees is short and keeping the middle of the pocket clean is so important but that is crap. We spent so much money on Guards because we drafted a couple studs who are dominant at their position. When we lost Nicks we simply replaced him with a guy that wasn't quite as good but was far less expensive. We haven't spent a lot of money at the tackle position because we didn't have to with Bushrod under a rookie contract and since his rookie contract has expired we've been so close against the cap that we can't afford to spend a lot of money at the tackle positions.

We've been drafting tackles every year, just can't seem to hit the jackpot like we did with Bushrod, Evans and Nicks.

I think the guy that wrote that got mixed up. One thing is to value the guard position more, which is indeed something the Saints do. It's another thing altogether to think that a tackle should play like a guard.

Not so sure it's the system, more than Drew Brees. The way Brees plays QB kind of negates pressure on the edges, but you have to be rock solid in the middle for him.

The only sign that we value guards is signing Grubbs to replace Nicks other than that we certainly weren't targeting top of the line Guard play. Both Nicks and Evans were basically later round picks that turned into elite players that no one expected, and of course your going to try to maintain elite players on your roster. It's the blocking scheme just as much as it is personnel.

not true.

I've heard numerous times that we focus our money on offensive guard play because Brees is short and keeping the middle of the pocket clean is so important but that is crap. We spent so much money on Guards because we drafted a couple studs who are dominant at their position. When we lost Nicks we simply replaced him with a guy that wasn't quite as good but was far less expensive. We haven't spent a lot of money at the tackle position because we didn't have to with Bushrod under a rookie contract and since his rookie contract has expired we've been so close against the cap that we can't afford to spend a lot of money at the tackle positions.

We've been drafting tackles every year, just can't seem to hit the jackpot like we did with Bushrod, Evans and Nicks.

Yup. If C. Brown wasn't always injured, we probably wouldn't even be going on about all this Guard vs Tackle nonsense.

Well, I'm not really saying anything about O-Line play and I have no idea if there could possibly be some aspect of our Tackle scheme that is like a Guard and I have no idea how good of a LT or what kind of LT we need.

All I know is that as a fan, I see that Brees is very good at avoiding pressure, and getting the big play deep, when teams fail to get pressure up the middle and allow him to avoid the speed rushers by stepping up in the pocket. That often result in a big play down the seams.

I assume some of that is by design, but I have no idea how much is by design and how much is that Brees just has a great feel for the pocket. My guess is that to some extent the scheme is designed around Brees being good at moving in the pocket and to some extent the scheme would help any QB by allowing him to buy time by simply stepping up in the pocket a few steps.

As far as LT, my guess is that they are happier with either Brown or Jones than they have allowed us to know and they are using the statements about a hole at LT to motivate Brown/Jones or to provide a draft smoke screen. It's also possible that they have a guy targeted and are just waiting for the market to play out to see how cheap they can get him or if they can get a better and cheaper player in the draft.

Apologies. I thought your 1st post was really good and informative. I'm not worried with Loomis and SP running the team. I'm just curious why they haven't brought in a solid LT FA. They are likely already working on that and will announce in the next few weeks.

Who is this "Breeze" you keep referring to?

Sorry but I have an 8 month old female Great Dane puppy named Breezy that now stands up at 6' tall and has been a handful to say the least. I did not even realize that I had typed in her name until you brought it to my attention sorry and thanks:9:

DB is who I was talking about.

My guess is the writer is referring to how guards in a spread-type offense are typically bigger, less athletic than tackles since you need your tackles to go out and block downfield on screens, whereas you want the guards to stone any immediate pass rush up the middle, which is the opposite of say guards who have to pull in a wing -t type of offensive scheme. With so many teams running zone blocking schemes, including the Saints, there is less pulling required by the interior guys, and tackles trying to reach the outside shouldes of fast, wide defensive ends.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom