Sean Payton's Wednesday New Orleans media conference call... (1 Viewer)

I don't like the way he skated around the question about Brees and the offense struggling. I think the problem might be heart, and that's one of the HC's responsibility. Since the Denver game, it looks like our players lose heart in the first quarter. As soon as a snap goes over Drew's head or the refs spend the first 15 minutes hitting our offense with holding calls and our defense with BS interference, holding, and personal foul penalties, it seems like our players get that "here we go again" look on their face. I know how they feel. The past couple weeks I didn't make it out of the 1st quarter thinking we had a chance.

"we're still looking at the tape..and rest assured we will continue to throw on 3rd and 1 even if Hightower is averaging 5 yards per carry..."

I have no interest in a LB who has to develop instincts at the NFL level. The LBs who are successful in the NFL are guys who show it right away, and that is because you either have instincts or you don't. You can fine tune the other parts of your game...but not instincts for the game.

Mark Fields disagrees .

At least Stephone Anthony can run fast. . that gets you a paycheck for a while. Ask Martez Wilson, Cie Grant and all the other athletic lbers us Saints fans have had to deal with for years.

Anthony needs to be put in the position similar to Matthews in GB. Pass rushing mostly on the outside.

I have no interest in a LB who has to develop instincts at the NFL level. The LBs who are successful in the NFL are guys who show it right away, and that is because you either have instincts or you don't. You can fine tune the other parts of your game...but not instincts for the game.

I wish i didn't agree with you. But instincts aren't something that can be taught you have it or you don't. And it's so important.

How can SP call Anthony dumb when you drafted him. Heck, Anthony was the leading tackler last season. Hes just in the wrong defense with Allen. If i was Anthony i would ask for a trade. How itf can SP call someone dumb and you cant even call a play to make a first down on 3rd and 1 twice. SP playcalling is a joke.

I wish i didn't agree with you. But instincts aren't something that can be taught you have it or you don't. And it's so important.

This might just be the most over simplified football thought out there... of course your ability to read and react improves with time just like anything else. Instincts aren't the worry because even with poor instincts assignment defense is far more the trend. Jamie Collins was your instinctive playmaker and he was jettisoned because DC's favor assignment football over going with what you think you see,

IMO Anthony struggles more with the pre-snap read and the finer nuances of playing LB, particularly playing with no wasted motion. Getting playcalls in, lining up the D, and reading a formation with the situation in mind is a ton for anyone. That alone could take a few years to perfect. Anthony has shown some improvement with this but needs to continue to improve. The wasted movement aspect of Anthony's game seems to have been brought on by a combination of bad habits from trying to do too much and over-reliance on his athleticism. As his teams most athletic tackler in college and his first year here, Anthony probably never learned to trust his teammates fully and just ran around the field chasing the ball carriers. He was good at it in college and our D needed him to do it last year as well. His making up for other player's weaknesses never let him focus on his own shortcomings. Now that we are starting to put talent around him and he no longer needs to be a 1 man LB crew, his own shortcomings are much more spotlighted. I think he needs playtime with real talent around him so he can learn to trust his teammates and let him focus on honing hi game with in his own responsibilities.

This might just be the most over simplified football thought out there... of course your ability to read and react improves with time just like anything else. Instincts aren't the worry because even with poor instincts assignment defense is far more the trend. Jamie Collins was your instinctive playmaker and he was jettisoned because DC's favor assignment football over going with what you think you see,

IMO Anthony struggles more with the pre-snap read and the finer nuances of playing LB, particularly playing with no wasted motion. Getting playcalls in, lining up the D, and reading a formation with the situation in mind is a ton for anyone. That alone could take a few years to perfect.
I agree with that, but how come Anthony isn't making plays on special teams? That doesn't have anything to do with diagnosing plays. He's having trouble getting through blocks and getting to the ball carrier in traffic. He lacks a natural instinct that is found in great players. For example Von Bell has had ups and downs, but even as a rookie he's made some plays that showed a feel for the game, knifing through blocks to make a play. Anthony has all the physical tools but so far has not shown the instinctual ability to play football. He should hopefully improve with more reps but I'm starting to see his ceiling as a lot lower than we initially expected.

I think there is more to the Jamie Collins situation than meets the eye, and I think he will be a successful LB in the NFL for years to come.

Whether Anthony goes best or bust, I'm still hellbent on drafting Reuben Foster. I figured he was a pipe-dream before the Tampa debacle, but as of now, we're picking #8. If we do pick withing the top 10, then Reuben may still be on the board, and may well be the best player available.

We got Vilma via trade

Ok, but point still remains, the saints in TEN YEARS have not developed a single drafted LB. Maybe after 10 years and you have nothing to show for it, it is time to get a better coach/coaches that actually can do their job

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom