Sean Payton's Wednesday New Orleans media conference call... (1 Viewer)

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Q&A with New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton

A lot of Stephone Anthony questions, but this was a general one that I felt was interesting:

Looking at a third consecutive non-winning season, what are the similarities and differences you see in the 2014 and 2015 teams and this team?

“This is different. This is a different type team. I’m encouraged in a lot of areas with our draft. I’m encouraged with the young guys playing. I’m encouraged with young guys we had a chance to play through injury. We’ve overcome some, tough, hard-fought games. We’ve lost some games this year I’ve never seen before and yet that’s frustrating. This is a different team. It’s going to be important that this team finishes well though.”

i think the fact that this team has been super competitive and lost a few close games and lost a few in really wild ways is gonna get lost in the record.

Payton essentially calling Anthony dumb was depressing though.

Q&A with New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton

A lot of Stephone Anthony questions, but this was a general one that I felt was interesting:

I'm glad he was blatantly honest about Anthony. Hold Robertson back and see if the kid develops heading into next year because his development only makes the LB group that much stronger.

His comments about the draft suggest that they see talent they can build on and around heading into next year. Glad he singled out Onyemata. Its encouraging because if you can give Bill Johnson a raw/talented guy in say the 3rd round you know he'll be able to contribute and you can maybe nab better players in other areas.

I think this year is different from the other seasons. 2014 7-9 after having been touted as one of the most Talented Teams SP ever had was a complete letdown. 2015 whether people say it was a rebuild/reset. Didn't expect much from them. 2016 - I saw improvements. You saw Peat find a home, you saw Davison win the NT spot. You saw the 2016 Class step up and make moves. You saw Vaccaro take a step. You were able to add Fairley. You again saw Jordan solidify himself as easily a top 5 edge player. You landed guys like Robertson/Stupar. I thikn they are excited about Lasco. Ingram came to play this year and is prob having a Career year.

You also saw a lot of areas that just quite frankly need better talent like RDE/3rd down RB.

I'm excited man. After a terrible 2014 things were muddy. New GM, new scouting, new schemes. 2015 was that season you tried to Will a very young team and rebuild the locker room. 2016 is like hey we got a chance but we need some things to happen. Unfortunately things did happen..Injuries.

2017 its going to be a disappointment if we don't get into the playoffs or win 10 or more games. Period.

i think the fact that this team has been super competitive and lost a few close games and lost a few in really wild ways is gonna get lost in the record.

Payton essentially calling Anthony dumb was depressing though.

HE didn't call him dumb. He's just frenetic on the field. You could see it in his Clemson game tapes.

He wasn't calm and allowing the play to come to him and then finding the ball based on his keys. He was always just jumpy and twitchy, and talking false steps, then going the wrong way, then trying to recover.

Because of his speed at the college level he'd get back/around the ball alot quicker. In the NFL those missteps show up a lot quicker and his speed doesn't help him get back because the game is much faster.

That's why he keeps using words like "Calm down" for him. Things are just moving too fast around him and he tries to guard everything. If he can learn to say ok...i see this....that means this likely wont happen then he can move on to the next read.

Right now its like he's not sectioning off the things he's seeing so he's trying to guard EVERYTHING.

Our defense isn't close to historically bad this year. In fact, the past couple weeks, our defense has been much better than our offense.

That in and of itself is why this isn't the same as the last two seasons.

End result is the same probably though. And that is why I'm willing to give Payton one more year. Good news is, we'll know almost immediately if our team is ready to contend. Payton teams play well in preseason and come out of the gates looking sharp.

Doesn't matter who we draft at the LB spot. The only guys who EVER have success under these coaches are guys who were developed by someone else. Stephone Anthony goes anywhere else and he becomes at the very least a quality starter. But the one thing you can bet your butt on is that we will NOT address the positional coaches in the offseason. Regardless of the insane lack of development over the course of many years.

I'm calling throwing with an empty backfield to gain one yard is dumb,so there
Well, the Saints are leading the league in 3rd down percentage by a decent margin, so I'm pretty confident that they have that well under control.

Doesn't matter who we draft at the LB spot. The only guys who EVER have success under these coaches are guys who were developed by someone else. Stephone Anthony goes anywhere else and he becomes at the very least a quality starter. But the one thing you can bet your butt on is that we will NOT address the positional coaches in the offseason. Regardless of the insane lack of development over the course of many years.

Which positional coaches are that again besides linebacker?

Because...Joe Vitt isn't the sole linebackers coach anymore. We brought in a guy to handle the lion's share of that position. Bill Johnson has done a fine job when he gets good players. And Aaron Glenn is our defensive backs coach, and has done an excellent job.

I'm starting to wonder about Development.

Guys that we've brought here. Vilma,Ellerbe, Robertson, Stupar, Shanle, Fujita had already been developed to some extent. Knew how to watch film among other things.

The guys we've tried to Draft that needed to learn these things just could not.

I feel either we need to replace them OR draft a talented LB that already understands these thing.

Based on the interviews I've looked at on Zach Cunningham the coaches say he takes stuff from the film room to the field easily. On one of his blocked field goals he mentioned it was something he saw on film and brought to the coach. The coach trusted him and gave him the green light to do it if he saw it.

Wham...he saw it, jumped the line, blocked the field goal if I'm not mistaken.

That suggest he's in the upper echelon of seeing key's diagnosing and then making the best possible play on it.

I'm starting to wonder about Development.

Guys that we've brought here. Vilma,Ellerbe, Robertson, Stupar, Shanle, Fujita had already been developed to some extent. Knew how to watch film among other things.

The guys we've tried to Draft that needed to learn these things just could not.

I feel either we need to replace them OR draft a talented LB that already understands these thing.

Based on the interviews I've looked at on Zach Cunningham the coaches say he takes stuff from the film room to the field easily. On one of his blocked field goals he mentioned it was something he saw on film and brought to the coach. The coach trusted him and gave him the green light to do it if he saw it.

Wham...he saw it, jumped the line, blocked the field goal if I'm not mistaken.

That suggest he's in the upper echelon of seeing key's diagnosing and then making the best possible play on it.

That's my #1 linebacker. He does everything he does without the benefit of an NFL D-Line going against college guys who will be backups or CFL guys at best.

I really agree with pretty much everything in that interview. Two years ago when the rebuild started this was probably the perfect script for the second year of rebuilding. Draft 3 impact starters in Thomas, Bell, Rankins and pick up two more in Fairley and Roberson. Additionally adding Moore, Lasco, Onyemata, Crawley, and Lutz as passable role players with upside.

The wins weren't there but the talent and youth influx is very evident. It doesn't take much to tip the scales from below average to above average in the NFL. For the first season in a while I think player progression might outway player regression. Add to that some draft picks and 25 million in cap space and I think we could make a big climbe next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom