Sean Payton's Wednesday New Orleans media conference call... (1 Viewer)

I'm starting to wonder about Development.

Guys that we've brought here. Vilma,Ellerbe, Robertson, Stupar, Shanle, Fujita had already been developed to some extent. Knew how to watch film among other things.

Well, to be fair, Joe Vitt was Fujita's coach in Kansas City, and Shanle and Stupar were bottom of the roster special teamers, so at least a portion of their development can be attributed to Vitt.

Well, to be fair, Joe Vitt was Fujita's coach in Kansas City, and Shanle and Stupar were bottom of the roster special teamers, so at least a portion of their development can be attributed to Vitt.

Touche, but that may speak more to the ability of the players to comprehend rather than Vitt actually coaching them up in those specific areas. They were also at least 2 year veterans to a certain extent. Not sure how long Stupar has been in the league (2years I think) but Shanle was a 6 year Vet b4 he got here so he likely had an understanding of how to be a Pro and he was someone elses evaluation.

All the LB's that Vitt has helped evaluate as draft picks....have just not been good. Theres likely more there but I think it's time to either go another direction or draft guys that clearly show the ability to do that so that its not something they have to learn when coming here.

But the one thing you can bet your butt on is that we will NOT address the positional coaches in the offseason. Regardless of the insane lack of development over the course of many years.

I wouldnt say that. 3 losing seasons might mean something gets shaken up somewhere. This is a trend and to stop the trend you have to change something. The defense is getting better but whats to say they dont regress next year with the same coaches? I think we will see at least one gone.

I'm calling throwing with an empty backfield to gain one yard is dumb,so there

I lost it when they were in that formation even before the ball was snap. I told my friend how stupid it was and that something bad was going to happened. Of course it did

HE didn't call him dumb. He's just frenetic on the field. You could see it in his Clemson game tapes.

He wasn't calm and allowing the play to come to him and then finding the ball based on his keys. He was always just jumpy and twitchy, and talking false steps, then going the wrong way, then trying to recover.

Because of his speed at the college level he'd get back/around the ball alot quicker. In the NFL those missteps show up a lot quicker and his speed doesn't help him get back because the game is much faster.

That's why he keeps using words like "Calm down" for him. Things are just moving too fast around him and he tries to guard everything. If he can learn to say ok...i see this....that means this likely wont happen then he can move on to the next read.

Right now its like he's not sectioning off the things he's seeing so he's trying to guard EVERYTHING.

Sounds like my 15 yr old who's kind of a spaz at times..lol.

Doesn't matter who we draft at the LB spot. The only guys who EVER have success under these coaches are guys who were developed by someone else. Stephone Anthony goes anywhere else and he becomes at the very least a quality starter. But the one thing you can bet your butt on is that we will NOT address the positional coaches in the offseason. Regardless of the insane lack of development over the course of many years.

I have to agree. In the past 10 years they've hardly developed any draft picks and this is one of the reasons why they've been bad. They got lucky, or lightning in a bottle with Sharper. W/o him they don't go to the superbowl. Vilma was probably the best LB the team had, but wasn't a draft pick, but a FA pickup. Besides that one year, how many draft busts have the saints had on defense? The list is very, very long.

Doesn't matter who we draft at the LB spot. The only guys who EVER have success under these coaches are guys who were developed by someone else. Stephone Anthony goes anywhere else and he becomes at the very least a quality starter. But the one thing you can bet your butt on is that we will NOT address the positional coaches in the offseason. Regardless of the insane lack of development over the course of many years.

Which linebackers have left here and become at least a "quality starter"?

Insane lack of development. Humm. Let's see Robertson has played far better than at any point in his career. Stupar has gone from a special teams guy to adequate fill in. Muati has had his moments.

Just as a reminder, the linebacking coach was addressed a couple of years ago. The forum favorite whipping boy Vitt really hasn't been coaching linebackers for what 2 years now as James Willis and Bryan young do most of the day to day coaching now.

I'm starting to wonder about Development.

Guys that we've brought here. Vilma,Ellerbe, Robertson, Stupar, Shanle, Fujita had already been developed to some extent. Knew how to watch film among other things.

The guys we've tried to Draft that needed to learn these things just could not.

I feel either we need to replace them OR draft a talented LB that already understands these thing.

Based on the interviews I've looked at on Zach Cunningham the coaches say he takes stuff from the film room to the field easily. On one of his blocked field goals he mentioned it was something he saw on film and brought to the coach. The coach trusted him and gave him the green light to do it if he saw it.

Wham...he saw it, jumped the line, blocked the field goal if I'm not mistaken.

That suggest he's in the upper echelon of seeing key's diagnosing and then making the best possible play on it.

Zach's read and react skills are off the charts. And one helluva sure tackler.

I have to agree. In the past 10 years they've hardly developed any draft picks and this is one of the reasons why they've been bad. They got lucky, or lightning in a bottle with Sharper. W/o him they don't go to the superbowl. Vilma was probably the best LB the team had, but wasn't a draft pick, but a FA pickup. Besides that one year, how many draft busts have the saints had on defense? The list is very, very long.

We got Vilma via trade

HE didn't call him dumb. He's just frenetic on the field. You could see it in his Clemson game tapes.

He wasn't calm and allowing the play to come to him and then finding the ball based on his keys. He was always just jumpy and twitchy, and talking false steps, then going the wrong way, then trying to recover.

Because of his speed at the college level he'd get back/around the ball alot quicker. In the NFL those missteps show up a lot quicker and his speed doesn't help him get back because the game is much faster.

That's why he keeps using words like "Calm down" for him. Things are just moving too fast around him and he tries to guard everything. If he can learn to say ok...i see this....that means this likely wont happen then he can move on to the next read.

Right now its like he's not sectioning off the things he's seeing so he's trying to guard EVERYTHING.

I have no interest in a LB who has to develop instincts at the NFL level. The LBs who are successful in the NFL are guys who show it right away, and that is because you either have instincts or you don't. You can fine tune the other parts of your game...but not instincts for the game.

He's lost. He remains clueless in gap responsibilities and zone coverage. It is insanely hard to make your way on an NFL football field when you are an absolute liability in zone coverage. They moved him to SOLB for all of the above, much like the Saints moved instinctless Martez Wilson to SOLB. I'm completely expecting to see the Saints move Anthony to DE any day now. And no it's not because they are showing off his versatility.

Yeah as Anthony really is gearing up to go to DE. And really that is where he belongs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom