Sean, Please Don't Stop (1 Viewer)

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I understand Spags oversaw the worst defense in NFL history. His DB coach friend for St. Louis left our secondary looking worse than the Jason David Fred Thomas days. That was an easy decision.

I implore you to keep going. Joe Vitt, who is a locker room favorite and your Asst HC, also is employed in the role of LB Coach since you took over in 2006. I hope you've noticed that we haven't developed one single LB in all that time. We've had mediocre play across the board from every draft choice and FA brought in. Vilma and Lofton didn't improve (though Vilma did return to his pre 3-4 form he exhibited in his early years for a little while). The point is that Joe has failed to find any diamonds in the rough, nor develop any of the draft choices and UDFA additions in his time as LB Coach with the Saints.

I understand Vitt's value in the locker room, so maybe he can be given some other responsibilities, freeing up a spot for a LB coach who knows what he is doing and the possibility of luring an employed defensive coordinator with the promotion to Asst. HC so it won't be considered a lateral move.

Also, I'd like to point out a similar case of ineptitude with defensive line coach Bill Johnson. I shouldn't have to go into details, as our defensive line has underachieved no matter who you draft or sign in free agency. This one's a gimme, and all you have to do is knock it out of the park.

AT the very least, I hope you hire a DC and give him the option of bringing in his guys at LB and DL Coaching positions.

The easy part is done, now you need to demote or let go of a few loyal friends who aren't getting the job done and haven't throughout their history with the Saints. Keep that critical eye.

add special teams coach to the list of people who should be let go.

I understand Spags oversaw the worst defense in NFL history. His DB coach friend for St. Louis left our secondary looking worse than the Jason David Fred Thomas days. That was an easy decision.

I implore you to keep going. Joe Vitt, who is a locker room favorite and your Asst HC, also is employed in the role of LB Coach since you took over in 2006. I hope you've noticed that we haven't developed one single LB in all that time. We've had mediocre play across the board from every draft choice and FA brought in. Vilma and Lofton didn't improve (though Vilma did return to his pre 3-4 form he exhibited in his early years for a little while). The point is that Joe has failed to find any diamonds in the rough, nor develop any of the draft choices and UDFA additions in his time as LB Coach with the Saints.

I understand Vitt's value in the locker room, so maybe he can be given some other responsibilities, freeing up a spot for a LB coach who knows what he is doing and the possibility of luring an employed defensive coordinator with the promotion to Asst. HC so it won't be considered a lateral move.

Also, I'd like to point out a similar case of ineptitude with defensive line coach Bill Johnson. I shouldn't have to go into details, as our defensive line has underachieved no matter who you draft or sign in free agency. This one's a gimme, and all you have to do is knock it out of the park.

AT the very least, I hope you hire a DC and give him the option of bringing in his guys at LB and DL Coaching positions.

The easy part is done, now you need to demote or let go of a few loyal friends who aren't getting the job done and haven't throughout their history with the Saints. Keep that critical eye.

Add McMahon and you've got it.

I agree here. If he wants to really get this right he will let his new DC come in and clean the slate rather than tell him, "oh, by the way you have to keep Vitt, Johnson and so and so..."

add special teams coach to the list of people who should be let go.

I thought we already parted ways with our special teams coach-- like maybe he got a job elsewhere?

EDIT - nevermind, that was the asst special teams coach

Bill Johnson definitely needs to go. I hope the new DC insists on bringing his own line coach.

entire defensive staff and scouting dept....gone. kaput. peace. take a long ride in the ocean.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vitt remain on the staff as assistant head coach, but I'd really be surprised if he was coaching our linebackers again in 2013. Same goes for Bill Johnson.

I want our new defensive coordinator to bring in his own guys.

I agree here. If he wants to really get this right he will let his new DC come in and clean the slate rather than tell him, "oh, by the way you have to keep Vitt, Johnson and so and so..."

I have never heard of any DC selecting his own coaching staff. The head coach builds his entire staff.

You can take Vitt off his position but there is no way Sean will let go of him. As mentioned before, I can see him being Asst HC.

I do agree on Vitt's LB talent developing and selecting, but he does provide a lot of intangibles , so I say keep and get an OLB coach like some teams do. for the 3-4

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom