Anyone else excited for the new Dune? (1 Viewer)

I just saw the trailer:100:(y)

Never read the book and only saw the movie once when I was a kid. I don't even remember the plot except for that the worm was the spice, but I don't even remember what that means. I had friends that were obsessed with it and talked about it all the time, but I never really got into it. Maybe if I saw it without their constant talking it up, I might have appreciated it more, but it just didn't seem as exciting as they made it out to be.

That being said, that trailer looks pretty good.

Never read the book and only saw the movie once when I was a kid. I don't even remember the plot except for that the worm was the spice, but I don't even remember what that means. I had friends that were obsessed with it and talked about it all the time, but I never really got into it. Maybe if I saw it without their constant talking it up, I might have appreciated it more, but it just didn't seem as exciting as they made it out to be.

That being said, that trailer looks pretty good.

It has been at least 30 years since I have read the books but the worms weren't the spice, but they created the spice (droppings)

Looks good, not so sure about Dave Bautista replacing Sting as Feyd.

He's not. He's going to be "Beast" Rabban. They seem to have left Feyd out of this movie. Which may make sense depending on which part of the story is told in this movie. He really isn't important until later books anyway.

If they intend to do all the books, Jason Momoa has the kind of looks that'll age well and the kind of presence to be the main connective-character of the whole shebang.

He's not. He's going to be "Beast" Rabban. They seem to have left Feyd out of this movie. Which may make sense depending on which part of the story is told in this movie. He really isn't important until later books anyway.
Yep. Dune will be two parts. I think minimizing or leaving out Feyd in the first half makes sense. The cast list is really impressive and those other characters contribute much more to the early plot.

IOBdgUR.gif

It’s one of my favorite books (really couldn’t get into the later books). I think it’s a tough one to adapt though. There’s just too much world-building to really translate. I hope I’m proven wrong.
Doesn't help that the first book was the happiest high point of the series...it was pretty much misery and horror from that point on lol

Well, they nailed the trailer part..

Last edited:
Doesn't help that the first book was the happiest high point of the series...it was pretty much misery and horror from that point on lol

Yea, I'm not sure Messiah gets made into a movie, but I'd love to see Children of Dune and God Emporer of Dune made into movies. Maybe they could combine Messiah and Children of Dune into a movie.

I hope they make it all the way past Children of Dune so people get to see a man merge himself with a sandworm and become God Emperor of Mankind for almost 4000 years.

I'm up for it!

I enjoyed the original, but I like David Lynch. Also, the leads were well cast and did a great job with their parts. Some of the minor characters were a bit lacking (looking at you, Sting), but not enough to harm the overall movie, Obviously, it wasn't as good as the novel. The effects pale now, but that's because of when it as made; they were quite impressive then.

As for the books, I hope they combine the first two because I don't feel like the first novel is complete without the second one. I enjoyed the third one as well, but the fourth one finished me. That was one of the MOST boring books I've ever read. Deathly dull. I didn't venture beyond that one because I felt like Herbert had run out of good ideas. But the first three were fantastic.

I was disappointed in the SciFi channel treatment because it was so poorly cast. It was great that it followed the novel and included so much, but most of the actors were just so terrible, especially the guy playing Muad dib.

The trailer is enthralling, though so far I'm not enamored of the lead. Admittedly, it will be hard for anyone to top Kyle MacLachlan's cerebral performance. Naturally, I don't expect it to be as good as the novel, either, but supposedly it will stick closer to the book like the SciFi version tried to do. I'm certainly intrigued enough I want to see it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom