Anyone else excited for the new Dune? (1 Viewer)

I’ll do a search on those things when I get time to understand it better.

This is the best version I've seen, and I was upset when it said part 1 at the beginning. I hope it does well so we can see part 2.

Started to watch it on HBO Max last night and stopped when Paul met the Reverend Mother because it was obvious that (for me, at least) that I would regret not seeing it on the big screen.

First of all, I really enjoyed it...visually stunning. Sound and music were amazing.
Casting choices I liked: Chalamet as Paul (would have been a really good Anakin Skywalker), Zendaya as Chani, Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto, Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen, Bautista as Beast Rabban, Javier Bardem as Stilgar, David Dastmalchiar as Piter, and Stephen McKinley as a criminally underused Thufir Hawat

Casting choices I didn't like: while I really like Jason Momoa, he isn't the right choice for Duncan Idaho. Richard Jordan had a better look for the character....not just a great fighter but also a suave ladies man.
I REALLY like Rebecca Ferguson but she wasn't right for Lady Jessica and the portrayal of Lady Jessica was lacking. Lady Jessica in the book was regal, commanding, and (mostly) composed and in control. This version didn't really show the confidence, control, and presence of a Bene Gesserit. Didn't care much for Sharon Duncan as Liet Kynes mostly because they did away with Chani being his daughter

There were some changes I liked...I enjoyed how Duke Leto dealt with Hawat in the movie better than the book. I really liked it when Leto asked Jessica if she would protect Paul and then specified he was talking to the Bene Gesserit and not his mother (great little touch that wasn't in the book). I think they handled the poison tooth better in this movie than they did in the book. I really like the portrayal of Baron Harkonnen and Beast Rabban in the movie

I didn't care for the changes from when the Reverend Mother tests Paul. I also feel like they did away with story development from the book taking place between the time they arrive on Dune before the Harkonnen attack in favor of development on Caladan that really wasn't in the book so much (the dinner they have with Kynes, the banker, the stillsuit maker, etc was important for Paul's development. They completely did away with the intrigue where Hawat thought Lady Jessica might be a traitor and their confrontation (one of the great scenes in the book IMO).

All of that is pretty minor because I understand that there were tough choices on cuts (although they could have had a few less scenes of him dreaming of Chani to add some of the other stuff in lol). The big issues are them basically taking the politics out for the most part....CHOAM and kanly mostly. I also feel like they mishandled that last fight between Paul and Jamis and time considerations aren't much of an excuse IMO. That part was very important because it's development for Jessica (which I have already mentioned), serves to highlight how much Paul had to grow, and foreshadowing the issues between Paul and Stilgar. They cut out Jessica trying to influence Jamis before the fight by using her voice on him, her tearing into Paul after the fight so he wouldn't enjoy basking in the admiration of the Fremen, and the ceremony where the Fremen divide up Jamis's possessions and Paul cries (gives moisture to the dead).

If that scene is already filmed, it could be at the very beginning of the next film assuming it gets made...I truly hope so. It's a tremendous scene in the book and IMO Timothee Chalamet could really make it something special

I don't think I have ever looked forward to an extended cut as much as I am for this movie lol

I knew nothing of Dune prior to watching it Friday night. I didn’t get the characters. I felt like maybe I had missed a prequel or something, where the characters were introduced and developed. But that aside, I thought the movie was good, the acting was really good and I could somewhat follow along with the story. I might watch it again to catch things I may have missed the first time through.
I think this is fair. I knew pretty early on I’d have to watch it again (rolling with subtitles next time), but it did feel kind of “dropped in”

Seeing the reactions of others who have read the books leads me to believe we did miss out on a good amount of world building. Unfortunately, that sort of thing tends to be slow, so it’s a delicate balance when you’re dealing with the movie crowd. Seeing “part 1” did temper my expectations a bit, so I was prepared for some exposition.

Glad it’s on HBO so I can give it at least one more look soon.

Started to watch it on HBO Max last night and stopped when Paul met the Reverend Mother because it was obvious that (for me, at least) that I would regret not seeing it on the big screen.

First of all, I really enjoyed it...visually stunning. Sound and music were amazing.
Casting choices I liked: Chalamet as Paul (would have been a really good Anakin Skywalker), Zendaya as Chani, Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto, Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen, Bautista as Beast Rabban, Javier Bardem as Stilgar, David Dastmalchiar as Piter, and Stephen McKinley as a criminally underused Thufir Hawat

Casting choices I didn't like: while I really like Jason Momoa, he isn't the right choice for Duncan Idaho. Richard Jordan had a better look for the character....not just a great fighter but also a suave ladies man.
I REALLY like Rebecca Ferguson but she wasn't right for Lady Jessica and the portrayal of Lady Jessica was lacking. Lady Jessica in the book was regal, commanding, and (mostly) composed and in control. This version didn't really show the confidence, control, and presence of a Bene Gesserit. Didn't care much for Sharon Duncan as Liet Kynes mostly because they did away with Chani being his daughter

There were some changes I liked...I enjoyed how Duke Leto dealt with Hawat in the movie better than the book. I really liked it when Leto asked Jessica if she would protect Paul and then specified he was talking to the Bene Gesserit and not his mother (great little touch that wasn't in the book). I think they handled the poison tooth better in this movie than they did in the book. I really like the portrayal of Baron Harkonnen and Beast Rabban in the movie

I didn't care for the changes from when the Reverend Mother tests Paul. I also feel like they did away with story development from the book taking place between the time they arrive on Dune before the Harkonnen attack in favor of development on Caladan that really wasn't in the book so much (the dinner they have with Kynes, the banker, the stillsuit maker, etc was important for Paul's development. They completely did away with the intrigue where Hawat thought Lady Jessica might be a traitor and their confrontation (one of the great scenes in the book IMO).

All of that is pretty minor because I understand that there were tough choices on cuts (although they could have had a few less scenes of him dreaming of Chani to add some of the other stuff in lol). The big issues are them basically taking the politics out for the most part....CHOAM and kanly mostly. I also feel like they mishandled that last fight between Paul and Jamis and time considerations aren't much of an excuse IMO. That part was very important because it's development for Jessica (which I have already mentioned), serves to highlight how much Paul had to grow, and foreshadowing the issues between Paul and Stilgar. They cut out Jessica trying to influence Jamis before the fight by using her voice on him, her tearing into Paul after the fight so he wouldn't enjoy basking in the admiration of the Fremen, and the ceremony where the Fremen divide up Jamis's possessions and Paul cries (gives moisture to the dead).

If that scene is already filmed, it could be at the very beginning of the next film assuming it gets made...I truly hope so. It's a tremendous scene in the book and IMO Timothee Chalamet could really make it something special

I don't think I have ever looked forward to an extended cut as much as I am for this movie lol

All pretty much so spot on IMO. I knew something was missing with Jessica and you are right that although the part was acted well, it appears that the Director chose to bring out her vulnerabilities rather than have her be the noble rock of the family that she is in the books. They seem to have her portrayed as a younger Bene Gessurit rather than the experienced, confident, and powerful one that she is. Having her look vulnerable around the Reverend Mother makes sense and is in the books given their relationship and her power and position, but they seem to carry that scared and vulnerable version of her past that. And, I don't think it works.

As far as casting, I like Mamoa as Duncan Idaho and I have heard from several women that whatever he does, he is a ladies man. :) I was, however, disappointed in Josh Brolin as Gurney. He doesn't really pull off the warrior, minstrel, wise mentor vibe that Gurney has in the books. He more just seems like a warrior without much depth. But, that's probably a choice made by the Director to save some time.

I do somewhat disagree about Zendaya. I think she does well in the dream sequences, but I just found that her delivery and mannerisms when speaking to Paul after the fight sounded and looked way to modern young woman as opposed to a woman that grew up in fear of her life, surviving in a harsh world, and living in a somewhat oppressive society. Maybe she will be better with more lines, but I'm not getting gritty Fremin warrior vibes from her. (I hope she isn't as bad as Sean Young was, but that would be nearly impossible.) I also found her use of the word "friends" when saying I would not have allowed you to hurt my friends to be jarring. IIRC, the word from the book is "tribe", not friends, and that makes a difference in terms of both tone and meaning. Friends seems to imply it's a totally personal relationship. But tribe implies that is is about protecting the group, not individuals specifically since it is the group that is needed to survive in the deserts of Dune. (But, I could be quibbling.)

I also think a lot of the extra time spent on dream sequences was to get her more screen time to appeal to younger audiences. And, that time could have been better spent giving some information about the background of the Dune universe.

But, yeah, I look forward to an extended cut that is at least 3 1/2 hours long. I'll take more Dune anyway I can get it. It's by far my favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy universe. It's just so complex that it's hard to do in even two 2 1/2 hour long movies.

All pretty much so spot on IMO. I knew something was missing with Jessica and you are right that although the part was acted well, it appears that the Director chose to bring out her vulnerabilities rather than have her be the noble rock of the family that she is in the books. They seem to have her portrayed as a younger Bene Gessurit rather than the experienced, confident, and powerful one that she is. Having her look vulnerable around the Reverend Mother makes sense and is in the books given their relationship and her power and position, but they seem to carry that scared and vulnerable version of her past that. And, I don't think it works.

As far as casting, I like Mamoa as Duncan Idaho and I have heard from several women that whatever he does, he is a ladies man. :) I was, however, disappointed in Josh Brolin as Gurney. He doesn't really pull off the warrior, minstrel, wise mentor vibe that Gurney has in the books. He more just seems like a warrior without much depth. But, that's probably a choice made by the Director to save some time.

I do somewhat disagree about Zendaya. I think she does well in the dream sequences, but I just found that her delivery and mannerisms when speaking to Paul after the fight sounded and looked way to modern young woman as opposed to a woman that grew up in fear of her life, surviving in a harsh world, and living in a somewhat oppressive society. Maybe she will be better with more lines, but I'm not getting gritty Fremin warrior vibes from her. (I hope she isn't as bad as Sean Young was, but that would be nearly impossible.) I also found her use of the word "friends" when saying I would not have allowed you to hurt my friends to be jarring. IIRC, the word from the book is "tribe", not friends, and that makes a difference in terms of both tone and meaning. Friends seems to imply it's a totally personal relationship. But tribe implies that is is about protecting the group, not individuals specifically since it is the group that is needed to survive in the deserts of Dune. (But, I could be quibbling.)

I also think a lot of the extra time spent on dream sequences was to get her more screen time to appeal to younger audiences. And, that time could have been better spent giving some information about the background of the Dune universe.

But, yeah, I look forward to an extended cut that is at least 3 1/2 hours long. I'll take more Dune anyway I can get it. It's by far my favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy universe. It's just so complex that it's hard to do in even two 2 1/2 hour long movies.
I see your point on Zendaya and agree about Gurney

I read an article today that Mamoa has called for a director's cut already and Denis Villeneuve has said there isn't one. I hope that isn't true....he could just be saying that so people don't not see the movie and wait

I just watched it last night and it's every bit as good as it's cracked up to be. Been waiting for this nearly 50 years. That's when I read the book so I don't remember a lot of the details and that horrible movie probably tainted my memory of it. I only got part way through the second book but hopefully this will be successful enough that they do the whole series. (Without writers trying to guess the ending.)

I just watched it last night and it's every bit as good as it's cracked up to be. Been waiting for this nearly 50 years. That's when I read the book so I don't remember a lot of the details and that horrible movie probably tainted my memory of it. I only got part way through the second book but hopefully this will be successful enough that they do the whole series. (Without writers trying to guess the ending.)

Well, I disagree about Lynch's version being horrible, but writers already had to guess at the ending of the series since Herbert died after he finished Chapterhouse: Dune which ended on a cliffhanger. But his son, Brian Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson, finished the story based on notes that Frank Herbert left behind. So, the ending should be in line with what Herbert intended. And I found it a satisfying ending. Although there is a lot of background that has to be filled in to get to that ending.

I think that people who loved the books were completely fine with the length of the movie. I loved it. I wouldn't have changed anything. I thought that the omissions from the novel were very reasonable. Those that thought it dragged are probably those who weren't into the books.

Also...how can one not love Zendaya? Those types of people should be locked away from society. :)

Also...how can one not love Zendaya? Those types of people should be locked away from society. :)

Wouldn't be the first time someone said that about me and I would probably be fine with it. ;)

But, I do like her. I just found her tone and attitude a bit "modern" for the role. But she didn't have many lines to work with so she could be much better in Part 2.

Didn't read the book. Vaguely remember the David Lynch movie, which had some cool imagery but didn't really resonate with me as a complete movie. I quite enjoyed this movie (although I was only superficially following the plot line, and some aspects I didn't "get" until further into the film) and it seemed to go by quickly despite it's running time. I wasn't aware going in that it was only the first half of the story though, so when credits rolled I was like "WTF?!"

It's been so long since I read the books I probably won't even notice the omissions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom