Anyone else excited for the new Dune? (3 Viewers)

I saw it on IMAX over the weekend and thought it was really good, understanding that it's half a movie so the final review is incomplete. I was not ready for it to be over, though -- I would have had no problem sitting and watching another three hours.

I also knew little of the books and original movie, but I felt like I understood a lot--even without a ton of exposition. I loved this movie, one of the best films I have seen in awhile. It felt short to me, even knowing it was part 1. With everything available these days, it prob would have made for an awesome 10 part series or something, but I am not complaining. I loved the casting choices, except Brolin and maybe Zendaya. Brilliant stuff.

I also knew little of the books and original movie, but I felt like I understood a lot--even without a ton of exposition. I loved this movie, one of the best films I have seen in awhile. It felt short to me, even knowing it was part 1. With everything available these days, it prob would have made for an awesome 10 part series or something, but I am not complaining. I loved the casting choices, except Brolin and maybe Zendaya. Brilliant stuff.

If they wanted (and if Jason Momoa were immortal) there's enough material for an entire MCU-level collection.

Saw it on HBO Max and then saw it in a theater yesterday. Apparently I missed a couple things the first time around, but very much enjoyed the big screen experience for this film. I'm looking forward to the second leg of the story.

IMO Remaking the original (middle) without any prequel is lazy. Should have done Dune Houses (Atreides, Harkonnen & Corrino) first build some stories and background then they could have made the lazy remake (shorter likely) before launching into Messiah Empire storylines. I wish that one of the Streaming services would have picked this up and done it correctly. You can always count on Hollywood to screw something up. Hollywood cannot even get a darn comic book right. Just ask the many reboots of Batman and Spiderman...

IMO Remaking the original (middle) without any prequel is lazy. Should have done Dune Houses (Atreides, Harkonnen & Corrino) first build some stories and background then they could have made the lazy remake (shorter likely) before launching into Messiah Empire storylines. I wish that one of the Streaming services would have picked this up and done it correctly. You can always count on Hollywood to screw something up. Hollywood cannot even get a darn comic book right. Just ask the many reboots of Batman and Spiderman...

Wait, I'm confused. You're upset that they chose to start an adaptation of the story...where the story begins in the books?

There's no audience for it. They wouldn't have made it past the first film.

There's no audience for it. They wouldn't have made it past the first film.
A Dune series is made for the streaming subscription TV IMO. I can't imagine Hollywood trying to make Game of Thrones into a movie or trilogy.

Wait, I'm confused. You're upset that they chose to start an adaptation of the story...where the story begins in the books?
I'm just not a fan of paying for a "re-image" of something that was already done. I get that the House books were written after Dune and Messiah were published. And that 1984 movie was a long time ago. Maybe if the remaining movies are hits we will get a prequal like the Hobbit? Just my opinion.

I started watching it on my computer the other night but fell asleep. Not that it was bad but it was late.

As a fan of all the books, I would love to see those books on film. But, I doubt there would have been enough buzz for those movies to get all three made, and probably not even the first one, before re-doing the flagship book in the franchise. But, if this and the next Dune file do well, I could easily see either Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO Max, etc. buy the rights to all the books and doing a bunch of series or movies.

At least I hope so. I would love to see the Dune universe get the MCU or Game of Thrones treatment.

As a fan of all the books, I would love to see those books on film. But, I doubt there would have been enough buzz for those movies to get all three made, and probably not even the first one, before re-doing the flagship book in the franchise. But, if this and the next Dune file do well, I could easily see either Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO Max, etc. buy the rights to all the books and doing a bunch of series or movies.

At least I hope so. I would love to see the Dune universe get the MCU or Game of Thrones treatment.

No one is putting a massive talking tyrannical worm on tv, Widge.

No one is putting a massive talking tyrannical worm on tv, Widge.

It would be awesome. :)

But, I realize I'm probably in the minority on this.

Honestly, I was more talking about the prequel books. The original books do get too weird for normal people starting with God Emperor of Dune.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom