Anyone else excited for the new Dune? (1 Viewer)

IMO Remaking the original (middle) without any prequel is lazy. Should have done Dune Houses (Atreides, Harkonnen & Corrino) first build some stories and background then they could have made the lazy remake (shorter likely) before launching into Messiah Empire storylines. I wish that one of the Streaming services would have picked this up and done it correctly. You can always count on Hollywood to screw something up. Hollywood cannot even get a darn comic book right. Just ask the many reboots of Batman and Spiderman...
Lol. They did it just fine. Dune is a classic Top 1 sci fi novel.

The rest are almost unreadable (caveat: I've only read Dune, Messiah, most of Children, and some of God Emperor, so it's possible other books in the series aren't complete dreck.)

Not sure about the prequels that weren't even Frank Herbert, but this was the right movie to (re)make and if there's enough of a demand, you can always make prequels after the fact. But I couldn't imagine a more boring, nonsensical slog than to sit through movies of the rest of the Frank Herbert books. Ugh.

It would be awesome. :)

But, I realize I'm probably in the minority on this.

Honestly, I was more talking about the prequel books. The original books do get too weird for normal people starting with God Emperor of Dune.

Yeah, I love that the series basically turns into a batshirt insane philosophical deep dive, but blockbuster movie material it ain't. Dune doesn't really have much of a shot to work as a cinematic franchise because of this. The first book is the most palatable for thr masses.

2E610C41-EEB1-46D9-BE61-6DA0E2539955.jpeg

For those looking for more Dune, I recommend the Sci-Fi series. The casting is excellent but most the budget was spent on the actors.

For those looking for more Dune, I recommend the Sci-Fi series. The casting is excellent but most the budget was spent on the actors.
I really did like that mini-series. But unfortunately, I have been looking for it on streaming or even to buy for years and I have not been able to find it.

Edit: And just as I say that, I realize that Amazon now had the DVD for sale.

It would be awesome. :)

But, I realize I'm probably in the minority on this.

Honestly, I was more talking about the prequel books. The original books do get too weird for normal people starting with God Emperor of Dune.

It's a bell curve of weirdness imo. It peaks in God Emperor that's for sure. It wouldn't be hard to adapt Chapterhouse. Though, the movie already skipped over "Your water is ours, Duncan Idaho." line, and I consider that pivotal to the ending of Chapterhouse. I'm a grown man, and I cried when she said that to him.

@St. Widge

Yep. Amazon is where the image was from. James McAvoy did this in 2003 before he blew up. He isn’t even listed on the DVD jacket despite his head shot being centered. The series does the deepest dive. Gurney gets the time he deserves and the dinner scene is there too. My copy has been well used.

EBEEC2F8-FDB8-4196-BFDA-44BFB74F679B.jpeg

I really did like that mini-series. But unfortunately, I have been looking for it on streaming or even to buy for years and I have not been able to find it.

Edit: And just as I say that, I realize that Amazon now had the DVD for sale.

I recently streamed it for free on the hoopla app. Hoopla is connected to your local library. All you need is a current library card and you can "borrow" any video or book they have available for electronic lending.

What exactly is "Medium level sex scene" ? I've never seen the ratings worded like that.

A Dune series is made for the streaming subscription TV IMO. I can't imagine Hollywood trying to make Game of Thrones into a movie or trilogy.

I'm just not a fan of paying for a "re-image" of something that was already done. I get that the House books were written after Dune and Messiah were published. And that 1984 movie was a long time ago. Maybe if the remaining movies are hits we will get a prequal like the Hobbit? Just my opinion.
I chose my words poorly. What I meant to say is that the audience for a Dune series is extremely small. We're lucky to get The Expanse series finished and that's only because Bezos is a fan of the books. Your only hope for a Dune series is to hope that Gates is a fan boi.

My wife and I watched it this past weekend.

Like Blade Runner 2049, Dune is beautiful but flat. It flows like some viscous fluid, smoothly and with hardly a ripple. Leaving nothing memorable in its wake.

My wife and I watched it this past weekend.

Like Blade Runner 2049, Dune is beautiful but flat. It flows like some viscous fluid, smoothly and with hardly a ripple. Leaving nothing memorable in its wake.

I don't totally disagree, but I think part of the reason for that is that is when the story was cut off. And I think the lack of depth in the story of the Spacing Guild and the spice didn't help. And, I think although it created a great atmosphere and was a beautiful film, the quietness of most of the scenes and all the large scenery shots didn't quite feel right and didn't leave enough time to develop the story fully, which led to cutting out the dinner scene with Stilgar due to run time. But I think it will be a more significant "movie" if you view parts 1 and two in succession. But, I guess we will have to wait a couple years to find out.

Anyway, despite minor quibbles, I still think it's a really good adaptation of the first half of the first book. And I realize that anything short of a page by page telling of the book is never going to fully satisfy me. It was always going to be a medium-level sex scene.

Watching the original Dune again. As much flack as it gets, people tend to overlook what a tremendous undertaking it was back in the early 80s (I know it came out in 1984 but obviously was in the works before that). Other than Kyle MacLachlan and Sting, the casting choices were really good (sure Patrick Stewart didn't really fit Gurney, but it's PATRICK STEWART and IMO he was better than Brolin although that may be due to writing and directing)

Watched half of Dune on an airplane. I never read the book or saw the original so my view of it lacks any preconception. I'm really enjoying it - the visual elements are great even stunning at times, but I don't know if it's actually "good" yet. Entertaining to me, I can say that. Looking forward to finishing it.

But I'm also now really interested in the story and will read the book.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom