SEC game of the week: LSU @ Georgia (1 Viewer)

I will take the win. This team has guts. Next week will the next test. They wont stop fighting...

Much like the baseball team, it may not be the prettiest but they have guts and will fight till the end. Teams like that have a tendency to be scary the longer they have a chance of winning, you have to knock them out early and keep them under pressure.

I like this team... may not go undefeated but I like the foundation being laid for next year.

I kinda feel like Texas in baseball last year... we keep having CRAZY things happen to keep us alive, but eventually our luck is going to run out.

For now, I am just going to enjoy my top 5 ranking and probably the biggest football game in Tiger Stadium in a very long time.

Last three national championships have been won by these two teams, both undefeated, both top 5 in the rankings, a heisman winner and considered the best college player ever by many... this is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge game, I just wish we had a friggin QB that was worthy of such a game.

So your point is the refs suck even worse? Ok. I agree. Look I don't give a **** whether LSU deserved to win or not. It's hard for me to express how irrelevant that is. What does bother me are SEC Refs screwing prime games up with horrible officiating. And apparently you agree it's a problem. Thanks for supporting my position.

I agree that it is a problem, but you made it seem like LSU won the game b/c of the officials when the game could have gone the other way earlier. State it both ways next time then, instead of making it sound like LSU only won b/c of the Refs.

I don't know what to think of LSU. Les Miles is really ****ing with my head.

I don't know what to think of LSU. Les Miles is really ****ing with my head.

Maybe that's it!... maybe Miles is trying to do the same to the Florida and Bama coaching staffs.
Surely those true contenders can't look at LSU and see them as a legitimate threat to their SEC dominance in their respective East & West divisions.

Maybe Miles has just been making his team look completely inept until they have to meet these opponents so he can show our real team.

:scratch:

Naaaah. Probably not. :mecry:

Florida is going to kill us next week :covermyeyes:
It's my understanding from a couple players that what they have been practicing and what they have been calling in games thus far is not the same thing. The word is that the coaches have been holding out for the Florida game where they intend on releasing the hounds and Crowton creativity.

Lol...how do you take a sack there?

At the least you throw it up into the endzone. He went into the fetal position and gave up on the play.
Jarrett Lee, that you?

great game but even if we somehow beat flordia do you honestly see us being alabama in alabama
Well, if you throw out the Bear Bryant years (because the trend is the Bear beat everyone) historically the visiting team has the edge.

Maybe that's it!... maybe Miles is trying to do the same to the Florida and Bama coaching staffs.
Surely those true contenders can't look at LSU and see them as a legitimate threat to their SEC dominance in their respective East & West divisions.

Maybe Miles has just been making his team look completely inept until they have to meet these opponents so he can show our real team.

:scratch:
Naaaah. Probably not. :mecry:

I sure wish they had a bye before the Florida game. At the end of last season, before the bowl game, they had a "come to Jesus" meeting, where a very specific problem (they won't divulge what it was) was addressed. Supposedly this problem was what was affecting the team throughout the year, and it was owned up to and resolved. And for the first time all year, they played a complete game, much the way they should have played that year with the talent they had, much the same way they should be playing right now.

So to me, and I have never spoken ill of Miles, this reeks of something the coach needs to do. And this patting his team on the back publicly really ticks me off. He needs a week off without an oppenent to pull everyone's collective head out of their ***.

It's my understanding from a couple players that what they have been practicing and what they have been calling in games thus far is not the same thing. The word is that the coaches have been holding out for the Florida game where they intend on releasing the hounds and Crowton creativity.

Jarrett Lee, that you?

Well, if you throw out the Bear Bryant years (because the trend is the Bear beat everyone) historically the visiting team has the edge.

Yea, I've thought about the holding back for the Florida game excuse, but my concern is that it will blow up in our face even if that is the case due to not actually practicing this stuff in game situations. JJ needs all the practice he can get throwing downfield.

But gosh, if Shep can actually throw the ball half-way decent... how friggin bad do we have Florida set up to get burned by Shep throwing a deep ball on a second and short situation around the 40ish with Shep behind center? That would be just money......

That should be Shep's first touchdown pass as a Tiger against the #1 team in the country, defending national champions Florida. Let the legend begin... (Especially if it was to Randle, wow that would be AWESOME!)

Les Miles has a Leprechaun up his butt.... I can honestly say I've never seen someone get so lucky so many times.. But all the LSU haters can say what they want, but a win is a win is a win.... I'm not gonna sit here and tell you LSU will win the NC, or they are the best team in the SEC, But when your ranked in the top 5, all you have to do is win, you don't have to do it pretty, or score style points... All the ones who are saying the ref's blew this game for GA, if the same would have happened for the Saints you wouldn't care one bit... I just love hypocrites...... Get over yourselves... LSU won, you can't do anything about it...lol.... You play 60 minutes of football, I am a firm believer that a game is never lost on one play.... If GA would have handled business in the first 50 minutes, they wouldn't have been crying in last 30 seconds...

/ rant....

I agree with you about the intent. He was obviously just throwing the ball away to avoid the sack/safety.

But, and be honest, is that how the majority of those calls are handled? Do officials really consider the intent of every pass? Or do they merely check to see if there's a receiver in the area?

They look around and see if there was an eligible receiver in the area. And if there was, they typically don't throw a flag.

Based on how that call is normally interpreted and carried out, the officials made the correct call.

Well, the majority of non-calls in that area the balls are thrown in the direction of a receiver with no intention of completing the ball. However, this is still an exception to the intention of the rule. The rule is in place to avoid QBs from throwing the ball away to avoid a sack. That said, it is usually a non-call if the QB throws it in the direction of a receiver b/c who is to say he just made a bad throw (bad aim, sailed on him, etc). This is why it is a non-call if the QB throws in the area of a receiver.

However, as the rule is written it is grounding as the situation happened today. The QB was in the process of going down and he threw it without looking. There just happened to be a receiver in the general direction of the pass, even though the ball landed 15 yards away. That was intentional grounding. There was no question if it just being a "bad pass" that he was trying to complete. Understand?

If you want to scrutinize every rule you could call a personal foul for EVERY SINGLE celebration from a catch of TD. There is almost always a celebration, but the intent of the rule is to keep one team from rubbing it in the face of the other team. I know this call was a point of contention today, but the concept still applies. You could call taunting every time a player spikes the ball or screams after a play, but you don't. You make the call based on the intention, not always by the exact letter of the law.

There are plenty of gray areas in football, and the intentional grounding today was a call that should have went LSU's way.

Last edited:
The call was silly and did affect the game no matter how you rationalize it. It doesn't matter now though.

At the end of the day neither Georgia nor LSU will likely be able to beat both Bama and Florida (regular season or SECCG), so it's really not worth argueing over anymore.

LSU won. They are 5-0. Enjoy it and try not to freak out if you lose to Florida. LSU still has the inside track to a big bowl game and perhaps, if a few things keep going their way, they get into a BCS game.

It was a crappy call. Just as crappy as the flag on C.Scott.
Did it cost Ga the game, NO. Did it change the complexion of the game at that point, sure it did.
But, Holiday still ran back the kick 40 yds. Based on what went down, what probably happens is C.Scott rambles 50+ instead of 30+. Ga has to blame themselves for poor tackling.
After that, Ga should have gotten great field position because of the penalty on Scott. But, LSU made the stop.

IMO, LSU pretty much dominated the game. No, not by score. But, LSU moved the ball and shut down Ga. AJ Green is a stud. The catch he made to put Ga ahead was a GREAT catch. But, outside of Green, LSU was a much better team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom